Married To A Thai Wife, Want To Retire (age 49)

Hi Guys,

With the economy tanking in West Los Angeles, and having built in beautiful modern home in Chaiyaphuym (Issan), I have been thinking it may be best that we relocate for the unforseeable future.

I own income property in USA, and have no debt. Is it possible to relocate to Thailand permanately, and avoid having to return back to the USA for the next 5 years. If so does anyone have any feedback on the best way to accomplish that objective.

I would love to volunteer my time at the local schools, and enjoy the freedom of doing little to nothing, except deciding when I want to play golf, where to eat and what to watch on cable.

My income would be about 20,000 usdollars a year, so that should be adequate to avoid going into my saving.

I would like to hear others storys, and is a visa run mandatory every 3 months, and would I have to leave the country and return to USA?

Appreciate your replies..

post-47186-1233851208_thumb.jpg

You want to read about the rules for one year extension of stay for a foreign male married to a Thai. I think you should be able to get a single-use "non-O" visa in Los Angeles based on your marriage, travel over, and apply for annual extension of stay toward the end of the 90 day period. You just need to confirm for yourself that you'll be able to meet the financial requirements based on bank deposits (both for the first extension and each subsequent extension). Search back in the forum for a recent thread on the updated extension of stay rules.

Since you already have a house in Thailand, I assume you know about bank accounts and can wire appropriate funds before you leave the US. With the extension, you do not need to leave Thailand. You do have to report your address every 90 days when you remain in Thailand continuously on your extension.

Hi Guys,

With the economy tanking in West Los Angeles, and having built in beautiful modern home in Chaiyaphuym (Issan), I have been thinking it may be best that we relocate for the unforseeable future.

I own income property in USA, and have no debt. Is it possible to relocate to Thailand permanately, and avoid having to return back to the USA for the next 5 years. If so does anyone have any feedback on the best way to accomplish that objective.

I would love to volunteer my time at the local schools, and enjoy the freedom of doing little to nothing, except deciding when I want to play golf, where to eat and what to watch on cable.

My income would be about 20,000 usdollars a year, so that should be adequate to avoid going into my saving.

I would like to hear others storys, and is a visa run mandatory every 3 months, and would I have to leave the country and return to USA?

Appreciate your replies..

You can relocate to Thailand very easily as long as you are at least 50 years old. Since you are 49, you don't have long to wait. If you were married to a Thai, no waiting necessary and you could move tomorrow.

Visa runs aren't necessary if you can extend your permission to stay beyond the 90 days they give you upon arrival. For this, you need to either prove income of either 480K baht a year if married, or 780K baht a year if retired. Proof is usually a notarized letter from the US embassy, but Immigration could require harder evidence. Since you mention 20K US income, equivalent to just under 700k Baht a year, you will also need to keep some money in a Thai bank account, to make up the difference.

Unfortunately, volunteering is not possible as it is considered work in Thailand and you would need a Work Permit, but no work permit is required for playing golf, watching TV, or eating, for that matter. icon1.gif

Concerning your life expenses and income requirements, all depends on what you were used to in CA and the type of food/entertainment and amount of traveling you expect to do, and whether you intend to buy a car vs. a motorcycle, but I think that 20K USD/year is OK outside the "expensive" locations (Bangkok, Phuket). As a rule of thumb, take what you were spending in the US and cut it at least in half.

You should look at paragraph 2.18, clause 6 of Police Order 777/2151 and you will find that you meet all the requirements for living in Thailand as long as you like.

Get a single-entry non-O visa before you leave the USA, after arrival in Thailand get the affidavit from the US embassy to certify your foreign income, then during the last 30 days of you permission to stay get an annual extension of stay from the local immigration office.

--

Maestro

I believe that a man coming from West LA and used to life in that area would be hard-pressed to make ends meet on US$20K annually in LOS. Some things are double their prices in America...all durable, quality imported goods for example. As one poster said, your expenses and preferences for travel, golf and eating out will be a major factor. Golf (including caddy tips, beers, balls) can easily run THB 10,000 a month if you like to play regularly. I doubt anyone living in a decent home in Thailand would want to depend on a motorcycle for long...it gets too wet here and how do you carry your purchases back from the supermarket? But a reasonably-priced pickup can be had for under $20K; the large Vigos will run more. Bear in mind that medical bills may not be a problem now but could be a factor later on in life...even in low-cost Thailand. We have found that our expenses are roughly 65% of what we spent in San Diego, not including our SD home mortgage. Stuff just adds up here--first class car insurance, gardener fees, ISP charges, cable TV...etc etc. One thing you don't want to do is move over here and find that your income requires you to live like a pauper. Think it through.

Edited by Fore Man

As Maestro said , you qualify for annual extensions based on your Marriage.

The Rule. (6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Once you have your extension you have to report to Immigration every 90 days. This can even be done by mail.

For what it is worth , in my opinion you can live in Isaan very easily on your income.

Many do on a lot less.

Agree with Lite Beer.

One more suggestion though. Before you leave get a single entry non immgrant O visa based upon your marriage from the Thai consulate. You will need a copy of your marriage certificate and your wifes ID or passport. This will give you 90 days and will make it easier to get your extension.

You can get an affidavit to prove your 40,000 baht income at the embassy. Since you swear an oath that it is true and correct you do not have to show any proof. They have an appointment system see this webage for info. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

With an appointment it should take less than an hour to get it.

I've never heard of a law requiring you to go back every 5 years. Do you want to go back or is that what you have heard? Can you live on 20K US in Issan? Here in Phuket you'd be hard pressed to do so.

The op can live easy on 56.000 bath a month here in Isan,he owns a house allready.

Thats why we say Isan is still Thailand.

Hi Danny

Nice house. Although from the UK, I have done what you intend to do. I moved out to Surin,Issan just before my 49th birthday and never returned. I am presently on an extention to stay as I am (like you) married to a Thai. Every 90 days we drive up to Kap Cheung Immigration Office(IMO very nice&helpful bunch) to report my address which takes less than 5 minutes.

I love my life here and have met some very nice Thai&Expat people. We eat out regularly because its crazy cheap and would not change a thing!

Feel free to PM me, if I can be of any help with the thousand and one questions that are no doubt going round your head

Dave