Daily Low Dose Asperin

churchill

Please review the Health Forum rules. This post, although no doubt well intentioned, is contrary to them. Specifically, the referenced link contains a number of factual inaccuracies, including

" from one single mouse study, the authors conclude that aspirin should be taken daily to help prevent or treat liver damage from a host of non-infectious causes" -- the authors of the study -- which was not funded by the pharmaceutical indistry -- made no such conclusion.

- it states that the 2005 study by Yeoman et al found " Up to 28% of patients who take low-dose aspirin to ward off heart attacks develop peptic ulcers". In fact this study documented a prevalence of 10%, not 28%.

- several statements that say or imply that the use of low-dose aspirin to prevent heart attacks and stroke is something pushed by the "pharmaceutical industry". This is simply not the case; aspirin has been off patent for many, many decades and the pharmecutical industry stands to lose, not gain, financially by the widespread use of such an inexpensive generic product. Indeed they have tried and are trying to come up with patented alternatives, thsu far without much success.

- it states that aspirin " can increase the risk of pancreatic cancer", citing a study. In fact the study in question (1) did not distinguish between low-dose use of aspirin and regular use; (2) found no difference in the incidence of pancreatioc cancer and aspirin use among women followed for 18 years, but an association (again, not specific to low dose use) after 20 years among among women who were obese. Several other studies have shown the opposite and that the current scientific consensus on this, taking multiple studies into account, is that the relationship between pancreatic cancer and aspirin, if any, is unclear and needs further research. (There have also been studies suggesting a protective effect for GI cancers but these, too, are not consideed definitive. Low dose aspirin is not currently recommended as a means of reducing the risk of cancer).

I could go on an on but you get the drift. I would think twice about using this particular website as a source of information, or at the very least cross-check and verify their sources.

The overall thrust of the article is to use factual mis-statements to make a case against the use of low-dose aspirin to prevent cardio and cerebrovascular disease, a recommendation that is potentially harmful.

The suggested alternatives (various nutritional supplements, herbs etc) have not been sufficiently studied. While many of them may indeed have mild anti-coagulant properties, it is not known what quantity would need to be ingested to achieve what level of protection, nor what their adverse effects might be and how those would compare to aspirin. Herbs, vitamins etc are drugs, too.

Aspirin, even in low dose form, is indeed a drug and like all drugs, has contraindications and potential side effects. The risks and benefits of taking it will vary with specific individuals and needs to be weigherd on an individual basis.

I'd like to add that aspirin is a nephrotoxic drug and its long-term use can definitely cause irreversible harm to the kidneys. There are many cases of aspirin users--mostly chronic migraine sufferers--who have had to begin dialysis at relatively early ages because of the damage done by the drug. My own physician in the USA told me that taking a maintenance dosage of 82.5-mg daily (equivalent to a single 'baby' aspirin tablet) is probably not harmful unless there is already evidence of renal insufficiency. He also recommended using enteric baby aspirin so as to minimize stomach lining irritation.

From the (U.S.) National Kidney Foundation position paper regarding anti-inflammatory drugs and renal toxicity (emphases added):

" Aspirin alone in therapeutic doses does not impair renal function in patients with normal renal function. In patients with renal disease, the acute administration of aspirin alone may cause reversible decrements in renal function. Most studies do not demonstrate an increased risk of ESRD associated with the habitual use of aspirin as a single agent in therapeutic doses. However,aspirin overdosage may impair renal function.There is no risk from the regular use of aspirin in the relatively small doses recommended for prevention of cardiovascular events."

This same group has been actively lobbying to get NSAIDs off the OTC shelves or at least have warnings placed on them, so they are by no means allies of the pharmaceutical industry.

For the full paper http://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/pdf/Analgesics.pdf

I would add tho that anyone who has to take medications on a long term basis -- any medication -- should have at minimum an annual check-up that includes test of renal (kidney) and hepatic (liver) function. For some medications, and in anyone with alreadt\y impaired liver or kidney function, these tests should be done more frequently

I was taking a standard 125mg aspirin a day along with half a 20mg Enaril ACE inhibitor. When I changed doctors he insisted that I change the aspirin to a 60mg Aspent M. He was quite adamant and was of the opinion that the 125mg would eventually harm me. I have now been taking that 60mg for a number of years.

• 1 month later...
I was taking a standard 125mg aspirin a day along with half a 20mg Enaril ACE inhibitor. When I changed doctors he insisted that I change the aspirin to a 60mg Aspent M. He was quite adamant and was of the opinion that the 125mg would eventually harm me. I have now been taking that 60mg for a number of years.

i have been taking 150mg for 23 years now ,get tested every 6 months ,all normal up to now.

I have had DVT twice, both times from driving long distances.

Since then I no wuse 2 feet driving my auto car.

DVT was in left leg which did nothing, now it is my brake foot.

I take 60 mg of aspirin, the little pink coated ones which I buy in LoS.

Aspent M

Cost of a 5 year supply is less than a month's supply in NZ.

No more DVT since changing driving habit.

Edited by Zpete

• 2 weeks later...

I would as a physician disregard the posted website and opt for hard science which can be found here from Harvard Medical School:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15753114

Also from our friends at the American Heart Association:

http://www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/96/8/2751

Natural and herbal prevention is a wonderful thing and I have been a long time student of the sciences however; I do stress "Science" without solid proof, testing and regulation you might as well eat grass to cure the common cold.

I also take the 60 mg of aspirin, the little pink coated ones which I buy in LoS.

Aspent M, buy 1,000 tablet tub, have taken 1x per day for over 10 years.

Dr in the UK told me to take them for the rest of my life as also controls Collateral, never had a problem

Dr in the UK told me to take them for the rest of my life as also controls Collateral, never had a problem

[/color]

That will be really useful if they start throwing stuff at each other :o