Can I Use A Thai License To Rent A Car In Usa?

CosmicSurfer

I just got my new style "modern" Bilingual License... Not like that home-made thing I've had for the last 5 years....

But I'm travelling back to the USA & Canada in May, and I want to rent a Car from Budget in NYC and then drive it up to Toronto > Montreal > Back to NYC to catch our flight back to Bangkok.

I've researched that I can take a USA rental into Canada if I make sure to get an international (USA/Canada) Insurance certificate from Budget, which their web-site says they have available on request.

BUT, I'm not sure if they will recognize my (and my wife's) Thai driving Licenses. Has anyone rented a car recently with a Thai license?

Has anyone had a problem getting stopped by police and using a Thai license?

Or... must I get for me and the wife International Licenses?

Thanks,

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

You are a US citizen? I recall reports a good while back that if you are a US citizen the rental card companies will demand either a US license or an international license issued in Thailand. You should probably contact the rental companies directly to avoid a nasty surprise. Maybe your Thai wife can rent the car with her Thai license?

Edited by Jingthing

You are a US citizen? I recall reports a good while back that if you are a US citizen the rental card companies will demand either a US license or an international license issued in Thailand. You should probably contact the rental companies directly to avoid a nasty surprise. Maybe your Thai wife can rent the car with her Thai license?

The car rental companies in the US are not interested in establishing your citizenship; I have rented there on a US & a UK DL without problems, including paying the US licensed rental with a UK credit card and the UK licensed rental with a US credit card. They don't care as long as your DL is valid, in your name, in English and includes a photo... and that your plastic has money in it.

The new Thai DL's should be acceptable but as suggested, check directly with the rental agency before you go just in case the Department of Home Paranoia snuck some extra legislation under the radar towards the end of the last regime.

As a US citizen returning for a 3-week business trip, I rented a car from Hertz in June 2008 at 3 different locations. I used my old-style Thai 5-year license (in Thai, no English). I had zero problems at 3 different hertz locations where I rented autos. One gate guard was curious as he had never seen such a license before...but there was no problem. BUT I made sure to place this license on my on-line profile with Hertz so it was already in their system before I arrived in the USA. I am not sure what would happen if I simply showed up and presented that license with no prior notice. I suspect the newer style bilingual license would be fully accepted.

As a US citizen returning for a 3-week business trip, I rented a car from Hertz in June 2008 at 3 different locations. I used my old-style Thai 5-year license (in Thai, no English). I had zero problems at 3 different hertz locations where I rented autos. One gate guard was curious as he had never seen such a license before...but there was no problem. BUT I made sure to place this license on my on-line profile with Hertz so it was already in their system before I arrived in the USA. I am not sure what would happen if I simply showed up and presented that license with no prior notice. I suspect the newer style bilingual license would be fully accepted.

I just called Budget's 800 number in Thailand... They say an International License is required and Thai license is not accepted for rental.

More lost time and expense getting that done.

I'm pretty locked into Budget, unless I find another Rental company that can provide an insurance certificate good in both USA and Canada and Unlimited Milage... not all companies provide this (Budget does)... and it's required to bring a US rental across the border... Also this is a 3 week rental.. Budget seems to have the best rates, but of course the Insurance (3rd Party) is a killer.

Any Ideas???

CS

Don't know about Budget because I always use Hertz. They accept a Thai DL without question. They have a book with pictures of foreign DL's and compared mine to the book. They also asked for my Thai address since they couldn't read Thai. I've been doing this for years. L.A. and Chicago. Never a problem.

I just called Budget's 800 number in Thailand... They say an International License is required and Thai license is not accepted for rental.

Thats a very misleading statement...what exactly is an international license ?....a "legalised translation" of a particular countries DL...

A proper international DL has to be back up by a valid DL it doesnt stand on its own, therefore if you obtain a international license based on a Thai DL, this will accepted.

Technically these is not such thing as a legal international license...

So very apparant Budget in Thailand dont know what they are talking about

I have a 5 year thai english license and never any trouble anywhere. ( have rented in France/Greece and the states) I am American and also have a ca licnse but i never show it except over here :-)

As to international license. The ones they issue are from AAA which is ONLY a translaiton of ur current liences in alot of diferent languages.

I have NO idea why anyone pays for it year after year

As to international license. The ones they issue are from AAA

Wrong again..it could be AA (UK) or what ever the country is which you have the license from....ie Thailand doesnt have AAA.

If you had a US license and wanted a international license ouf course this would be AAA, but please dont mislead people saying AAA is the only body which can issue an international license