New Border Crossing For Foreigners In Nan Province?

pdavids

I have been told that the current border crossing at Huai Kon in the far north of Nan Province is now processing foreigners who wish to enter Laos.

It has long been a crossing point for Thais and Lao only and I had heard rumours a few years ago of it being made an international crossing. Can anyone verify this please? It is probably easier to ask here than to try and find out through official sources. It apparently opened on February 22.

If so, it links with a new road to Luang Prabang, most likely making it a much cheaper way to get there than the outrageous air fares from Bangkok to LP.

I have been told that the current border crossing at Huai Kon in the far north of Nan Province is now processing foreigners who wish to enter Laos.

It has long been a crossing point for Thais and Lao only and I had heard rumours a few years ago of it being made an international crossing. Can anyone verify this please? It is probably easier to ask here than to try and find out through official sources. It apparently opened on February 22.

If so, it links with a new road to Luang Prabang, most likely making it a much cheaper way to get there than the outrageous air fares from Bangkok to LP.

It is open, the wife (Thai with passport) and I (American) crossed over on 9 Feb and returned on the 11th. However, non-Thai need a Lao visa ahead of time, there is NO, rpt NO, Visa On Arrival at Mueng Nguen. The Thai Immigration guy at Huey Khon told me he'd had to turn back quite a few farangs who DID NOT HAVE A LAO VISA.

We drove west to Xieng Lom/Xieng Hon for one night, the back to just short of Mueng Nguen, and took the road UNDER CONSTRUCTION almost an hour north to the Mekong River, about 17 km upstream from Pak Beng. Back to M. Nguen and east an hour to Hong Sa for a night.

From Hong Sa there's two routes to LP:

-- the sort of northern route to Xieng Men, opposite LP, via Houay Xing. DON'T take this route, the Lao at Hong Sa said after Houay Xing a 4WD pickup might not make it these days.

-- the sort of southern route goes down to Sayabory, about 4-6 hours, then northeast to cross the Mekong at Thaduea and on to Xiang Nguen and LP.

BTW, the Dhevaraj Hotel is good, baht 800/night.

Mac

It is open, the wife (Thai with passport) and I (American) crossed over on 9 Feb and returned on the 11th. However, non-Thai need a Lao visa ahead of time, there is NO, rpt NO, Visa On Arrival at Mueng Nguen. The Thai Immigration guy at Huey Khon told me he'd had to turn back quite a few farangs who DID NOT HAVE A LAO VISA.

We drove west to Xieng Lom/Xieng Hon for one night, the back to just short of Mueng Nguen, and took the road UNDER CONSTRUCTION almost an hour north to the Mekong River, about 17 km upstream from Pak Beng. Back to M. Nguen and east an hour to Hong Sa for a night.

-- the sort of northern route to Xieng Men, opposite LP, via Houay Xing. DON'T take this route, the Lao at Hong Sa said after Houay Xing a 4WD pickup might not make it these days.

-- the sort of southern route goes down to Sayabory, about 4-6 hours, then northeast to cross the Mekong at Thaduea and on to Xiang Nguen and LP.

Mac

Many tks. Very useful info. I often stay at a lovely little resort in Bo Klua, which is en route to the border crossing and have entertained the idea of crossing into Laos at some stage and then on to Luang Prabang. But given your reply, might wait a little longer before attempting this. Visa on arrival and a better road would help.

Mac

Oops, forgot the local map

Mac

post-32650-1235651115_thumb.jpg

Great information! My wife is from Nan Province and we have always wanted to tour across the border. Two questions please:

1. How/where did you obtain your Lao visa beforehand?

2. Did you need any special preparation to take your car into Laos? How about insurance coverage while there?

Thanks

If so, , most likely making it a much cheaper way to get there than the outrageous air fares from Bangkok to LP.

That seems hardly so:

1.now the best overland route is overnight bus (direct to VTE) or the train/border shuffle-then the next day onward, hourly bus to LP. total time some 20 hrs.

2.this comes likely out equal to the new route via NAN, WHEN that road Laos side then finally is open: overnight bus Bkk-Nan-then the next day likely also struggling with various short-stretch transportations-if existing at all. If you live in Nan (great town, by the way)-help us and tell how the Thai-side connections are to said borderpost! Not anyone has a car.

Great information! My wife is from Nan Province and we have always wanted to tour across the border. Two questions please:

1. How/where did you obtain your Lao visa beforehand?

2. Did you need any special preparation to take your car into Laos? How about insurance coverage while there?

Thanks

I got my Lao visa at the Embassy in Bangkok, takes about an hour after paying the expediting fee of baht 200.

"Preparation?" I'd make sure it's in pretty good condition as spare parts might sometimes be a problem. Obviously, Toyota and Isuzu pickups are probably the best choice, most common vehicles on the roads.

A Thai registered, well, any non-Lao registered, vehicle needs the Thai vehicle "passport" book and some other documentation, obtainable from your local provincial DMV, Land Transport Department, the same place you pay your annual road tax and renewal.

Vehicle insurance is mandatory in Laos and you can get it on the Lao side at Mueng Nguen, left hand, just before the Lao Customs and Immigration building, on the right hand side. This is almost one (1) km beyond the Thai border post at Huey Khon.

Mac

Well, for the very, very lucky few who still happen to read this:

1.the border has opened since 1/12/08 for farang. The forum thorntree/lonelyplanet.com (south east asia/laos)has the full info-incl some hints on places around and possible transport (most came from moto-cy riders)-and as seems to be nearly always the case-beats this forum hands down.

2.the sunday supplmt of BKK-post yesterday, 8/3, also had an extensive travel report on this route-by car of course, BKK-post cannot conceive of anything else-buty very informaitive for those who contemplate it.

the idea that this route might even compete with the established BLKK-VTE-LPrbg route is even far way off as I thought myself.

train times-only those for the newly opened extension to Ta Nalaneng=Laos only station seem very UNcompettive compared to bus. again: thorntree has the best info-copied from other sources-3 or 4 times posted.

I now know for sure I skip this forum-expats are way behind in knowledge compared to the by them so maligend bekpekkers-who are ken to find out and discover new ways, without Thai wives on their sides