Where Best To Purchase An Atv In Thailand - Preferably Online

Hi guys

I am in my 40's and I still yearn for a little action and adventure so I have decided to buy an ATV to career around the rainforest and mountains in my province. My budget is around 35 - 50,000 (ish) bht and I started looking at the ATVs on offer in Amorn Electronics (ATV 110 inferno and ATV 150 Seahawk) and a few places online as well but to be perfectly honest, I cannot tell which one is the best suited for my budget as they all look good but looks can be most deceiving.............

So I am hoping that someone will be kind enough to explain the perils and pitfalls of buying an ATV and which particular models or company I should be looking for on Pantip.com etc etc

Really appreciate any advise or input as I am a complete novice to this sport

JAF

PS Whichever model I choose must be comfortable for me and the missus as she will occasionally ride pillion

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

I am in my 40's and I still yearn for a little action and adventure so I have decided to buy an ATV to career around the rainforest and mountains in my province. My budget is around 35 - 50,000 (ish) bht and I started looking at the ATVs on offer in Amorn Electronics (ATV 110 inferno and ATV 150 Seahawk) and a few places online as well but to be perfectly honest, I cannot tell which one is the best suited for my budget as they all look good but looks can be most deceiving.............

So I am hoping that someone will be kind enough to explain the perils and pitfalls of buying an ATV and which particular models or company I should be looking for on Pantip.com etc etc

JAF

PS Whichever model I choose must be comfortable for me and the missus as she will occasionally ride pillion

Riding pillion on a quad isnt recomended, sooner or later someones going to get hurt when traversing uneven ground, nearly all quad bikes in thailand are imported from china, mocyc.com pantip etc you will want at least 150cc engine , the ones with 125 or 100cc honda c90 style engines are not recomended, but are easily fixed when they go wrong, as they are made in china it wont be long before something breaks on them, so be prepared for it.

Idid a search on mocyc.com and this link appears to be the current ATV being sold here.

ATV 150CC something like this would be suitable for a novice rider.

Having ridden mx bikes and quads since i was 16 i would advise you take out medical insurance, i paid 80,000 bht to ramkanghang hospital to sort my knee out after a accident here.

Take it easy

Si

I have 7 ATV's. To buy a decent one new, you be be looking at 250k Baht +. In the past I bought a couple of Chinese quads, totally useless and falling apart within weeks. You could pick up a Yamaha YF200S (Blaster) for around 80k which would be around 10 years old but still a hundred times better than a Chinese copy.

I have 7 ATV's. To buy a decent one new, you be be looking at 250k Baht +. In the past I bought a couple of Chinese quads, totally useless and falling apart within weeks. You could pick up a Yamaha YF200S (Blaster) for around 80k which would be around 10 years old but still a hundred times better than a Chinese copy.

100% agree, you should go and look at them in person before you buy we have a few in cr, but they are imports, as for the chinese ones id really check what kind of warranty they carry if any, insurance is a must especialy if your not familiar with how they handle, try and get some experience on them if you dont have any, they are alot of fun but like dangerous... is it really possible to get a atv for that price?

Hi guys

JAF

Riding pillion on a quad isnt recomended, sooner or later someones going to get hurt when traversing uneven ground, nearly all quad bikes in thailand are imported from china, mocyc.com pantip etc you will want at least 150cc engine , the ones with 125 or 100cc honda c90 style engines are not recomended, but are easily fixed when they go wrong, as they are made in china it wont be long before something breaks on them, so be prepared for it.

Idid a search on mocyc.com and this link appears to be the current ATV being sold here.

Having ridden mx bikes and quads since i was 16 i would advise you take out medical insurance, i paid 80,000 bht to ramkanghang hospital to sort my knee out after a accident here.

Take it easy

Si

Much appreciated for your advice and input. I realised shortly after writing that riding pillion would not be suitable unless it was smooth track so its no longer a consideration of mine. My only considerations now are to find something that fits in the back of my Vigo and does not fall apart in weeks or months and is good value for money

Just so happens I was looking at the ATV Panthers and came across these two which catch my eye

[url=http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/showproduct1.php?pid=10008249&shopid=111568

Both of them come in at a reasonable 50,000 bht and if you check the links it is chockful of info about the bikes in Thai which to be honest I wouldnt understand even if it was in English

Any chance you guys could cast an observant eye and offer your honest opinions please

Thanks once again

JAF

reason for edit "cannot add the links properly so have posted them directly to the correspondants. Apologies for the intrusion "

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

100% agree.. The chinese stuff being sold is junk.. If it doesnt drop off, bend, or break it will rot.. Sure they may be 50k to buy but just a nightmare in maintenance..

Also are you experienced at riding a quad.. Kinda awkward things, better off with a dirt bike..

Hi guys

JAF

Take it easy

Si

Much appreciated for your advice and input. I realised shortly after writing that riding pillion would not be suitable unless it was smooth track so its no longer a consideration of mine. My only considerations now are to find something that fits in the back of my Vigo and does not fall apart in weeks or months and is good value for money

Just so happens I was looking at the ATV Panthers and came across these two which catch my eye

[url=http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/showproduct1.php?pid=10008249&shopid=111568

Both of them come in at a reasonable 50,000 bht and if you check the links it is chockful of info about the bikes in Thai which to be honest I wouldnt understand even if it was in English

Any chance you guys could cast an observant eye and offer your honest opinions please

Thanks once again

JAF

reason for edit "cannot add the links properly so have posted them directly to the correspondants. Apologies for the intrusion "

[/url]If you google atv panther you will find all the tech specs etc there in english, its all irrelevent really as this atv is made from old popcans from back home shipped to china as scrap on all returning container ships, china lacks the natural resources and steel works that we have in UK and the west, consequently it recycles baked bean tins and fizzy pop cans into atvs and pit bikes that bend and break very easily, the chain will be the first thing to go, smashing into the engine cases, taking the cdi unit out and ripping off the magic eye, and your pushing it back :o , all nuts and bolts are easily stripped and cross threaded, its a great looking thing in your garage and if you dont use it to go offroad, it will be ok....

My own advice is to buy a KLX140cc

and maybe a klx110 auto clutch for yur mrs, these dirt bikes are fun, nearly maintence free, electric start, they have been developed by kawasaki as family play bikes, whilst still maintaing quality you can rely on, dont worry you wont go out and win mx races on them, they are avalaible in thailand, also made here , and come in around your budget, excellent resale value as opposed to the atv, in fact if you bought one i dont think you would want to sell it, to much fun.

Dont forget you still need the same protection/safety gear you would use on a quad/atv as a dirt bike, helmet boots goggles and gloves.

Si

Edited by hansgti

Many thanks to those that corresponded with me and forewarned me about buying one of those "cheap steel" turkeys......I learnt my lesson to ask questions after being stuck with a JRD bike whick was next to useless. Thanks to the advice from members here, I wont be fooled so quickly again

So now I am looking at dirt bikes and canoes............. what could possibly go wrong there hahahaha

Much appreciated guys

JAF