Stone Oven

Mahseer

I am moving out to the back of beyond in a month and aside from a decent BBQ I also want a stone oven. Now I know our mate google will give all the information on how to knock one up but interested to hear from anyone who has made one locally and where they sourced supplies.

Cheers

Get a book but you can get almost as much information from the internet. Firebrick that is used in fireplaces is good. If you want real fire bricks and refractory cement there is a shop in Lampang that sells them. Google Siam Refractory and get their Lampang address. They also have pizza stones and ceramic blankets.

I made one out of low end clay bricks and regular cement and it's working fine. Looks OK too

Of course I just decided to make one without having any understanding of the materials generally used.

Probably I just got lucky. Mine runs on propane.

What's a fire brick?

I made one out of low end clay bricks and regular cement and it's working fine. Looks OK too

Of course I just decided to make one without having any understanding of the materials generally used.

Probably I just got lucky. Mine runs on propane.

What's a fire brick?

Make sure you have built a shield at some distance to insure your safety when the one you made explodes and sends your low end brick flying across your yard at 1500 feet per second. :o

Had it running at maximum temp for about three hours yesterday. No problems, some nice pizza too.

Bricks are made in ovens you know. They don't mind the heat so much. I was more worried about the marble slabs inside the oven.

Edited by canuckamuck

John, I will come in and see you early next week and grab some of your ribs while I am there. Thanks for the offer of the book.

getgoin: I have seen Siam Refactory mentioned before but can't recall in what context. Can I just wander in and pick out what I want? The cement is the item I thought I would struggle finding but looks like you have solved that one.

Thanks very much lads

John, I will come in and see you early next week and grab some of your ribs while I am there. Thanks for the offer of the book.

Great, looking forward to meeting you! I'll have the staff keep the book behind the counter, just in case I am not around when you pop by. They will be expecting that someone might come for it.

getgoin: I have seen Siam Refactory mentioned before but can't recall in what context. Can I just wander in and pick out what I want? The cement is the item I thought I would struggle finding but looks like you have solved that one.

Thanks very much lads

Yes they have everything in their store, including pizza stones that you can line the bottom with. Not hard to find the shop in Lampang but I haven't been there for 2 years. Part of Siam Cement Company. Everything is used in making ceramics thus Lampang.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone know where I maybe able to get hold of some fire bricks around Pattaya.Been trying to find some for awhile now, but with no luck.I have toyed with the idea of using normal bricks but the possilbilty of having to replace them after a few fire ups is false economics.......

Many thanks Rob

Edited by fazbender

Hi Mahseer

This is something that I'd love to do myself.

So if you do get round to building, give me a shout

and I'll come over and give you a hand,it'll give me an idea of what's involved

for when/if I ever do one!

David

firebricks are used for very high temperature applications like pottery or in fireplaces in a wooden building for safety reasons

regular brick in a little pizza oven out side should be fine .i would keep them dry though before heating.the same goes for the fire brick which are very brittle by the way and need support structure.i think it is even possible to make an oven just from clay.

there is also a big new store on highway 11 to lamphun,after nong hoi, across 89 ,that sells pizza ovens and baking materials galore

Hi Mahseer

This is something that I'd love to do myself.

So if you do get round to building, give me a shout

and I'll come over and give you a hand,it'll give me an idea of what's involved

for when/if I ever do one!

David

David, you'll be more than welcome when I get around to starting but best advise that this be put together 500kms outside Chiang Mai but your welcome all the same.

Cheers

firebricks are used for very high temperature applications like pottery or in fireplaces in a wooden building for safety reasons

regular brick in a little pizza oven out side should be fine .i would keep them dry though before heating.the same goes for the fire brick which are very brittle by the way and need support structure.i think it is even possible to make an oven just from clay.

there is also a big new store on highway 11 to lamphun,after nong hoi, across 89 ,that sells pizza ovens and baking materials galore

sorry need to correct it is the old road 106 to lampun i was talking about

David, you'll be more than welcome when I get around to starting but best advise that this be put together 500kms outside Chiang Mai but your welcome all the same.

Ok . . . I'll give that a miss!

Cheers

David

It's cosed on Sundays!!!!

David