Cashmere Woolen Wintercoat: Tailors Price Ok?

Soulwy

I brought my old wintercoat all the way from the Netherlands to get it copied.

I went to 2 tailors:

Excelsior along Sariwongse road: he had no thick cashmere fabric, but he would double the fabric so it would be warm enough.

Doubling fabric... I thought this was a strange technique, and instead of 3 metres, it would be 6 metres.

Price 7,000 baht. The price is ok, but doubling the fabric is odd.

Hollywood fashion near Sariwongse road.

He had cashmere wool of 16 ounces. Price: 125,000 baht (around 270 Euro)

I thought it was on the high side, but what is your idea about this?

I have been looking for plain cashmere wool 16 ounces in Chinatown and Indian area, but no luck. Any suggestions on this is also welcome.

I would guess that real Cashmere is just not available anywhere in the world cheap,

Its one of those luxury products that has its price, a bit like gold or saffron a gram of each

will cost the same if you buy it anywhere in the world.

Has been several years since I was there, but John D's on Suk around soil 19 used to handle good English made bolts of cloth. The choice of cloth did include cashmere etc back then. Not sure if the business is even still there but worth a look.

I would guess that real Cashmere is just not available anywhere in the world cheap,

Its one of those luxury products that has its price, a bit like gold or saffron a gram of each

You know, I doubt if it is pure cashmere the tailors offered me, it is probably blended.

For luxury I am willing to pay, but sellers habit is to bend the truth. And then I hesitate to pay 125,000 baht. I just couldn't believe my ears when he told the price.

You know, I doubt if it is pure cashmere the tailors offered me, it is probably blended.

For luxury I am willing to pay, but sellers habit is to bend the truth. And then I hesitate to pay 125,000 baht. I just couldn't believe my ears when he told the price.

hmmm....two new motor scooters or one coat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh sorry guys, one zero too many, 12,500 baht which is about 265 Euro.

Today I had to shake my head again. I went to a tailor / Sampeng Road soi 4 (I believe).

A wintercoat of nice cashmere wool for 3,000 baht, fabric included. I told I was from the Philippines instead of Europe.

He gave me a price for Asians, which was 3,000 baht. If I had said I was from Europe he would have charged me 8,000 baht.

I gave him the fabric I had already bought in a fabric shop. Lining and copying = 2,000 baht.

So in total I paid less than 4,000 baht for the coat.

• 3 months later...
He gave me a price for Asians, which was 3,000 baht. If I had said I was from Europe he would have charged me 8,000 baht.

I would recomend Romeo & Juliet Tailors they have same price for Thai and Farangs, ask for Victor or Antony sweet guys no hassels get local price. Been there thats why i know.

Well, I would doubt that Cashmere is available at more than a few places in LOS.

You can get great deals on eBay, now and then. I got some superb 100% cashmere Winter coats starting at under 30 Euros including shipping within Germany. Higher end coats go for often under 100, even those which cost a 4-digit amount. On average, you should be able to get a really nice brand cashmere coat for around 60 Euros.

Get it dry cleaned...

Or buy new at the Winter sale.

But forget getting one made over here. Cashmere is very soft and light and warm - no one would wear it over here. Linen & woven silk jacket? by all means!

I bought some 100% linen and silk jackets or mixture of both fabrics, good for the weather.

Warning: many local taylors have "cashmere" printed on fabrics of dubious quality. The one thing you can bet on is that these fabrics won't contain an ounce of cashmere :D You will have a hard time getting real "Egyptian cotton" for your shirts and in Pattaya, they sell polyester as "Thai silk" :) . Polyester garments will soon lose all shape. Ask me how I know?!

Closing, here is a link to a good website with an article on cashmere. The real Mc Coy for high end bespoke costs often 1,000 quid or 65,000 Baht and more just for the fabric itself! www.englishcut.com

I would recomend Romeo & Juliet Tailors they have same price for Thai and Farangs, ask for Victor or Antony sweet guys no hassels get local price. Been there thats why i know.

Can you share their address with us?

I brought my old wintercoat all the way from the Netherlands to get it copied.

I went to 2 tailors:

Excelsior along Sariwongse road: he had no thick cashmere fabric, but he would double the fabric so it would be warm enough.

Doubling fabric... I thought this was a strange technique, and instead of 3 metres, it would be 6 metres.

Price 7,000 baht. The price is ok, but doubling the fabric is odd.

Hollywood fashion near Sariwongse road.

He had cashmere wool of 16 ounces. Price: 125,000 baht (around 270 Euro)

I thought it was on the high side, but what is your idea about this?

I have been looking for plain cashmere wool 16 ounces in Chinatown and Indian area, but no luck. Any suggestions on this is also welcome.

Hi Soulwy,

I had (amongst some other things) 2 jackets (Blazer in the Netherlands) made in a heavy quality 100% Cashmere in a tailorshop in the arcade of the Montien Hotel, 54 Surawong Road, Bangkok. There are 2 entrances; the main one and the one more to the right (of the main entrance) on the parking lot. Take the last one and turn right.

It's a small shop opposite the entrance of the coffee shop (quite well known actually); I hope he's still there and called Mantique. I have a name in my mobile "Kuan".

So maybe give them a call; he's a very nice man and delivers top-quality. Phone +6622348060 or +6622337060 and hope the nrs are still ok.

No doubt he can make a wintercoat for you as well.

Tell him not to make the lining to thick; the actual Cashmere is never very heavy but they make it heavy by putting the lining, inside, too heavy. If a wintercoat is too heavy (in Cashmere) it doesn't show nicely.

Good luck

PS: have a look what kind of suits and coats are in fashion nowadays.... :)

http://www.suitsupply.nl/

LaoPo