Whistling

tomjoad56

I've lived in Bangkok for 3 years and I'm irritated so much by the mindless whistling that is allegedly done to assist in traffic control, that I'm thinking about leaving the country when my retirement visa expires in 6 months. The whistling is just getting worse and worse. Have you ever watched these guys? They accomplish nothing with the whistles other than adding to the noise pollution that is already way over the top. I actually avoid going to certain malls and places where it's especially bad, and in my search for a new place to live, it's a key.

Ever ride on the skytrain or in the subway? I think they're both fine systems, albeit limited in coverage, but again, the ear piercing signal they employ as a warning that the doors are closing, baffles me.

Am I asking too much for a kinder and gentler approach to this?

Thanks for listening.

I've lived in Bangkok for 3 years and I'm irritated so much by the mindless whistling that is allegedly done to assist in traffic control, that I'm thinking about leaving the country when my retirement visa expires in 6 months. The whistling is just getting worse and worse. Have you ever watched these guys? They accomplish nothing with the whistles other than adding to the noise pollution that is already way over the top. I actually avoid going to certain malls and places where it's especially bad, and in my search for a new place to live, it's a key.

Ever ride on the skytrain or in the subway? I think they're both fine systems, albeit limited in coverage, but again, the ear piercing signal they employ as a warning that the doors are closing, baffles me.

Thanks for listening.

i don't travel much on the BTS but parking attendants really p1ss me off with their whistling to go back and forth into a parking space that makes no sense to park in.

I used to abide by their whistles but now i just park where i think is suitable and ignore their whistles..

"have you ever driven a f"cking car" is what i really want to shout at them....

or nong nong pii mai chai kwai!!!!

Can't remember the last time I heard a whistle.

I don't live anywhere near Bangkok.

Have you considered asking the nice policemen to stop whistling? It might work.

Edited by Texpat

Some <deleted> has given our building security guard a whistle recently, going to have a moan next time I'm in the office.He's using it to tell people reversing into parking bays to keep going until they touch the concrete wheel stops - utterly unnecessary.

One inexplicable thing is that they use the whistle as an everything's okay signal and stop whistling when they want a manoeuvring vehicle to stop, which is not logical (TIT!) but does involve much more whistling and therefore gaining face.

The traffic mis-directors at the Landmark used to have whistles until I had a serious moan about being able to hear them from the 33rd floor from 6am-late. They are, I am pleased to note, now whistleless.

The Landmark is an excellent hotel for first-timers in Bangkok because you can sit on the toilet and vomit into the bath simultaneously - very convenient for the early days of building immunity to street food.

Geez, we can sure find nit picking <deleted> to bitch about, huh? At least they have whistles not automatic weapons. hel_l, I was whistling in a nice little tune in a nice little bar in Kazakstan while back and 3 guys wanted to kick my arse because of it. Maybe it was a bad choice of tunes, like "Stairway to Heaven". Turned out it was something with local ghosts ?????, anyway, I stopped. Lighten up a little bit man, stop wenging and wear some ear prot. or something.

Geez, we can sure find nit picking <deleted> to bitch about, huh? At least they have whistles not automatic weapons. hel_l, I was whistling in a nice little tune in a nice little bar in Kazakstan while back and 3 guys wanted to kick my arse because of it. Maybe it was a bad choice of tunes, like "Stairway to Heaven". Turned out it was something with local ghosts ?????, anyway, I stopped. Lighten up a little bit man, stop wenging and wear some ear prot. or something.

Thaivisa.com forum about things from Thailand !

Kazastan issues hop over to their board....maybe whistling is not welcome there - where do i book my ticket..?

Thanks for listening.

Tom, you're not half done with your other commitments and now you're taking on the whistle guys?

"I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too." -- Tom Joad

Thanks for listening.

Tom, you're not half done with your other commitments and now you're taking on the whistle guys?

"I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too." -- Tom Joad

:) where can i read this post? a proper super hero :D good luck

:) where can i read this post? a proper super hero :D good luck

:D It's a quote from Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath": The OPs nick-sake, Tom Joad (Henry Fonda in the film).

Well spotted Lannarebirth :D

Edited by phaethon