Owning A Monkey Illegal?

I don't think it is illegal to own a monkey. You see many of them that are trained to collect coconuts. Whether it is sensible to own one as a pet is a different matter. I have seen them for sale at chatuchek market in BKK. :)

wow... more stupid comments than real informations... I was talking about REAL monkey like the animal... anyway i will find out the information but not here cause it seems more like wasting time talking than anything

As Thailand is signatory to treaties such as CITES (since 1983), any species on these lists would be illegal to keep and does include all Gibbons and some of the Macaques. (Gibbons are on Appendix i and as such any trade is illegal).

Apart from the legal aspects, there are the moral aspects: why would you want to keep an animal that belongs into the wild? And why would you want to keep an animal that will potentially become dangerous (even Gibbons can inflict very painful bites)? By buying an animal like that, you are keeping the illegal wildlife trade going, not much difference to buying e.g. drugs.

As Thailand is signatory to treaties such as CITES (since 1983), any species on these lists would be illegal to keep and does include all Gibbons and some of the Macaques. (Gibbons are on Appendix i and as such any trade is illegal).

Apart from the legal aspects, there are the moral aspects: why would you want to keep an animal that belongs into the wild? And why would you want to keep an animal that will potentially become dangerous (even Gibbons can inflict very painful bites)? By buying an animal like that, you are keeping the illegal wildlife trade going, not much difference to buying e.g. drugs.

No my main concern was to get a male and a female and making sure to help gibbons species to stay alive... there is several protected area in thailand that it would be possible to release babies in the wild to keep that beautiful species alive for longer

No my main concern was to get a male and a female and making sure to help gibbons species to stay alive... there is several protected area in thailand that it would be possible to release babies in the wild to keep that beautiful species alive for longer

Let me get this right, you are going to buy 2 gibbons, quite probably ophans whose mother was shot so the babies could be caught in the first place, so that they can breed and you can return the babies to the wild. There is so much wrong with this I won't waste my time going into it all, except to say you haven't got a brain.

No my main concern was to get a male and a female and making sure to help gibbons species to stay alive... there is several protected area in Thailand that it would be possible to release babies in the wild to keep that beautiful species alive for longer

I did not realize that you were an expert on Gibbon reproduction and reintroduction, sorry :)

I know people who have been doing this for 15 years professionally; their failure rate is extremely high.

No my main concern was to get a male and a female and making sure to help gibbons species to stay alive... there is several protected area in Thailand that it would be possible to release babies in the wild to keep that beautiful species alive for longer

I did not realize that you were an expert on Gibbon reproduction and reintroduction, sorry :)

I know people who have been doing this for 15 years professionally; their failure rate is extremely high.

Professional Gibbon Reintroducer; now there's a profession for you!

I asked a simple question without putting all the facts since i didn't know that it would turn like all this bullshit... So my little story is this : I met a European guy who have 4 gibbons and now is trying to get rid of 2... i started to make some research about it and asking questions before i'll get involved with something out of my ball game and wanted to be informed first...simple NO.

So for all the big brain drama queen wanna be, the life seeker since theirs is so boring, retire/welfare people just here to talk and pass stupid comments, sexually unsatisfied people who compare Thai woman with monkeys, people who know everything and everybody in all subject, for all the people who watched too many soap opera in their life thinking it's the reality... thank you for your input. The members of this forum is getting worst and worst more I looked at the subject posted... this will be my last post and do not think i will be back on Thai visa since i think it's a big joke. Have fun losing your time and other people as well

Cheers

Well, I think the first question that i would ask is why would your friend want "to get rid of two" of them in the first place? Second, do you have the space and time to look after them?

As to the re-introducing them - that takes time and dedication for up to years and years of your time. Are you capable of doing that? Taking them to a forest, teaching them to fend for themselves? We see it all the time with the orangutans in Borneo on the TV. Looks simple. Or the chimps in Africa... The people that do that job are in it for life. And I have a lot of respect for them.

So good luck, if you do it, but they are not dogs or cats.

A very noble thought though I would imagine you would need a license to breed such animals. Breeding animals for release takes a lot of time, care and skill. Somebody is looking for a home for a rabbit though on TV :)

If you owned one, you could send it to work as a motorcycle taxi rider, theres heaps of them doing that job at the end of my soi. If you had enough of them working for you, you could go into early retirement. :)

Panoptil,

If you really want to "help" these gibbons then i suggest you contact WWFT based in petchaburi. They have a huge tract of land and i believe some islands on a lake that are dedicated to gibbons. their website is www.wwft.org. The director is named Edwin and he has close ties to government agencies and the monarchy, who support his work.

If you are on samui and want more info on this organization then i suggest contacting phil at Samui Snake Rescue, 08-96635085 He can give you all the info you need.

If the mods delete his tel number then contact any of the magazines of samui as i think that they have all at one time or another ran articles on Samui Snake Rescue. These animals are in no way pets, despite what you see on the streets of samui!

Mods, i hope that posting Phil's Tel no is ok as i have seen it posted on other threads. please feel free to delete if this is against forum rules.

Oh and by the way, your friend can face serious jail time if caught with the remaining gibbons as they are, as previously stated, a class 1 endangered species... Maybe you can point out the error of his ways and persuade him to donate his gibbons to wwft also.

Cheers

Smartie

So for all the big brain drama queen wanna be, the life seeker since theirs is so boring, retire/welfare people just here to talk and pass stupid comments, sexually unsatisfied people who compare Thai woman with monkeys, people who know everything and everybody in all subject, for all the people who watched too many soap opera in their life thinking it's the reality... thank you for your input. The members of this forum is getting worst and worst more I looked at the subject posted... this will be my last post and do not think i will be back on Thai visa since i think it's a big joke. Have fun losing your time and other people as well

Cheers

Not much point continuing to answer the question, the OP has snatched his bananas and swung out of here. :)

Mods, i hope that posting Phil's Tel no is ok as i have seen it posted on other threads. please feel free to delete if this is against forum rules.

Phil posts his number all round the Island and is a great bloke. Anyone with a Snake in their house or garden give him a ring and he will collect it and relocate it.

Cheers

Not much point continuing to answer the question, the OP has snatched his bananas and swung out of here. :)

didn't realise the opp was so sensitive. apprently louis voitton hand bags are cheaper out here

Edited by BigC