Problem Renewal Driver Lisence Pattaya 29 May

pattayaexpat48

Pattaya land transportation office 29 May.

48 year old applicant, tourist visa 2 entry from Laos.

Dress politely and clean. And no, I dont have any handicap.

Had with me Passport + copy pages + residence permit + medical certificate.

Lady at entrance check documents, say she think tourist visa not ok for renewal. I say many friends have been here this month and got renewal without problems (according to reports in this forum).

She give me number and I go to 2 floor. My number are called when I arrive 2 floor, and I go to the desk.

You can only get 1 year because you only have Tourist visa, she say. :)

I tell her about many people reported that they got 5 more year, in the very same office,with a TR visa.

I asked to go inside the desk and take color test and reaction test.

Again they start saying you only get 1 year, but first you must take driver test + written test.

:D:D:D

Why? I took that test the first time I applied for a Thai DL.

Must do every time, was the response !

:D

This is in big contradiction to many reports here in Pattaya forum and also in Motor forum.

After reading all reports here about renewal went ok - it seems that I got "the special treatment" of unknown reason. I never lost my temperament, never shouted, nothing that could have been the reason for their special treatment.

When I knew this was a waste of time, I asked politely to talk to the boss. They give me talk with a lady just behind the counter who clearly is not the boss. Same negative outcome. So I decided to leave, without doing anything today.

I can see what is coming: Mister you fail driver test, but we can make you pass if .... Mister you fail written test, but we can make you pass if .....

Only idea I have is:

a)contact my embassy and ask for assistance.

b)contact a lawyer and ask his assistance.

Both of these will cost me money, same it shure will cost me money to pass the tests after "failing".

When I made my first DL, they ask for tea money for make me pass the written test (which I not failed).

:D Any ideas from Pattaya area are very welcome. :D

Where is the nearest other offices I can try apply renewal ?

We had plan buy a new motorbike next week after my renewal, all plans are cancelled now.

Edited by pattayaexpat48

We had plan buy a new motorbike next week after my renewal, all plans are cancelled now.

You are getting a license for a motorbike?

Just buy the bike and drive it like everyone else does. I've been driving a bike here, with no license, for about 8 years. Never once has a cop asked to see a license. They either give you a ticket for something (helmet or anything else they want) or they want a pay-off on the spot.

Only idea I have is:

Or of course you could always take the test as they have requested! :)

Well to honest, I have read the rules In Bangkok main Office in Thai and they have always insisted on a non tourist visa, but having received negative comments in the past that I am wrong and that you can get a licence on a tourist visa I gave up mentioning this fact. It seems you have been caught up with them enforcing the rules!

I would suggest you go to the shop you are purchasing the bike from...they should be able to get a licence for you...or go to one of the Visa shops they can also usually get the licence for a price.

To suggest to drive without a licence is okay for some, until you have an accident and find you are not insured!!

Also if you get stopped at a check point for a licence check, you are likely to not get the bike back until you have shown a licence and paid the nominal fine?

Failing that and contact me and I can tell you where to go to have licence arranged, legally.

pyear iddbaw

Only idea I have is:

Or of course you could always take the test as they have requested! :)

Edited by Pdavies99

Lisence for Car and Motorbike !

Drive without DL? so good recommendation, :) spesially if/when your luck run out one day, and you get involved in a serious accident. What more you recommend, should I drive uninsured too? :D

you pay my bail bond 200.000 or more? pay my car repairs? pay other car repair? hospital bills? not to mention if there where casualties ..... OMG.

Take the test and get only 1 year, while other report they got 5 year renewal without tests?

Think you 2 guys missed the point totally.

Many reports lately say they've got renewal for another 5 year with tourist visa, without demand for a new written and driving test.

My point was: I was there today, not give 5yrs renewal on tourist visa, and they demand take both tests again that have not been reported here before.

Hope to read more thoughtful advice from others. I drive up north 4 times a year, and many check points on the way. Better safe than sorry.

Any been to Sri Racha or NongYai offices? Are they more friendly?

Location?

Pdavies99 - yes seems I've been there at a bad timing, or people reporting here have been lucky or whatever.

I have a 5yr lisence who expire soon, and I have never before read anyplace that you must take the tests every 5 year. Only Medical and Passport/visa/residence.

We learn every day.

Take the test and get only 1 year, while other report they got 5 year renewal without tests?

Hummm... I think that "other" said that they have a International Driving Permit. It was the case for all reports I have see here. And IDP => no test :D

When I made my first DL, they ask for tea money for make me pass the written test (which I not failed).

Curious. I always ear that this tea money story has finished more than year ago when they installed computer machine to make the "written" test.

:)

Hummm... I think that "other" said that they have a International Driving Permit. It was the case for all reports I have see here. And IDP => no test :D

Curious. I always ear that this tea money story has finished more than year ago when they installed computer machine to make the "written" test.

:)

Many OTHER post here in Pattaya and Motor forum in similar to my situation without IDP - read more and you find them!

Tea money was demanded from me many years ago, when i made my first application. I did not say they ask me today - but I see it coming! Not take much to see the applicant take the driver test (only you and 1 staff in the car), sorry mister, you fail the driving test but .......... It could easily happend,spesially with previous history doing so.

As I did wrote " must take both written and driving test".

Did you read my OP? (quote: "when I made my first DL" it says, it also says I now must "renew my 5 yrs lisence" = I've been here more than 6 yrs then).

Love arguing with me in this and other topic ? If you had read first time, you could have saved your last comments. Your post dont help any in similar situation, you just out to make someone mad. Wrong man here.

Have a good day and dont expect any more responses from me, whatever you write.

Many other pattaya forum where you can play.

My wife (Thai) renewed her 5 year license last week and also had to sit some simple tests and watch a video or something for an hour. Obviously being Thai the 1 year or 5 year question never arose but seems there are new (simple) tests to be carried out before they pass you.

Spoke with another foreigner that said he was made to look at a highway code book for an hour (all in Thai) before they passed him... No questions on what he read just told to look at the book!!! Got his 5 year extension without issue. On a Non O visa though....

Just buy the bike and drive it like everyone else does. I've been driving a bike here, with no license, for about 8 years. Never once has a cop asked to see a license. They either give you a ticket for something (helmet or anything else they want) or they want a pay-off on the spot.

Me too, 11 years all over thailand and to cambodia /laos countless times, why would anyone ( other than a thai ) want a thai license ? ,.it has about as much credability as a sizzler discount card, i know which one i have ! :)

My wife (Thai) renewed her 5 year license last week and also had to sit some simple tests and watch a video or something for an hour. Obviously being Thai the 1 year or 5 year question never arose but seems there are new (simple) tests to be carried out before they pass you.

Spoke with another foreigner that said he was made to look at a highway code book for an hour (all in Thai) before they passed him... No questions on what he read just told to look at the book!!! Got his 5 year extension without issue. On a Non O visa though....

The current rule is indeed that you need a non-tourist visa to get a 5 year license and you have to do the colour test,some distance test and view a video or read a traffic rule book for an hour each time you renew.

The current rule is indeed that you need a non-tourist visa to get a 5 year license and you have to do the colour test,some distance test and view a video or read a traffic rule book for an hour each time you renew.

Renewed my 1-year licence with a 5-year licence in Bangkok (Suk soi 62) in January with no requirement for any tests whatsoever.

Me too, 11 years all over thailand and to cambodia /laos countless times, why would anyone ( other than a thai ) want a thai license ? ,.it has about as much credability as a sizzler discount card, i know which one i have ! :)

So, after 11 years in Thailand, what license are you driving on?

And conversely the only time I've ever hired a motocy in Pattaya I was stopped by the police and asked for my licence.

Luckily they accepted my car licence.

And every time I've been stopped in a car the police have asked for a licence.

The current rule law is indeed that you need a non-tourist visa to get a 5 year license .

A tourist can drive on an IDP.

Did you read my OP? (quote: "when I made my first DL" it says, it also says I now must "renew my 5 yrs lisence" = I've been here more than 6 yrs then).

Love arguing with me in this and other topic ? If you had read first time, you could have saved your last comments. Your post dont help any in similar situation, you just out to make someone mad. Wrong man here.

Have a good day and dont expect any more responses from me, whatever you write.

Many other pattaya forum where you can play.

And after these 6 long years in Thailand, you failed to notice that 'rules' and 'laws' are not the same thing when applied to Thai nationals, let alone the wingeing farang 'resident tourist'? You are a TOURIST... always have been, always will be until you get a NON-TOURIST visa.

You jumped onto TV, didn't like the answers you got so why don't YOU go play on another forum.

Me too, 11 years all over thailand and to cambodia /laos countless times, why would anyone ( other than a thai ) want a thai license ? ,.it has about as much credability as a sizzler discount card, i know which one i have ! :D

So, after 11 years in Thailand, what license are you driving on?

UK full licence, valid til im 70, still a few years to go, ! :) . been left with the police countless times til the fine is paid, Never a problem,

You obviously didn't read all the replies no this forum. As it was already pointed out, no DL = no insurance cover. Make an accident and you'll be in jail until you pay up in cash. Or do you intend to also do this the Thai way, i.e. flee the scene?

Renewed my 1-year licence with a 5-year licence in Bangkok (Suk soi 62) in January with no requirement for any tests whatsoever.

The same in Samut Prakarn no tests.

So a tourist visa= no renewal of 5yr Thai Drivers License ?

What about people with the ED Visa ?

or the '0' Visa ?

Friend is thinking of changing his yearly extensions to a '0' as he goes home every year, so is thinking it is pointless to keep 800,000 for the extensions but will he have problems renewing his drivers license ?

It aint rocket science guys.

By law you need to have non-immigrant visa to get or renew thai licence. With IDP tourist can drive up to 3 months. After that they are required to correct their visa status to non-immigrant and get a thai licence.

Different office and officers however do as they please thus someone sometimes get licence with tourist visa etc. In OP's case they decided (against law) that with tourist visa they give only one year licence. Asking OP to do the test was propably their way of getting rid of him without denying him outright risking confrontation with angry farang.

Now your embassy could not care less if you have problems with driving licences. Also nothing your laywer can really do as you do not comply with the law requiring non-immigrant visa. Your only option pretty much is to try to find someone who you can pribe to get the licence or keep going back as long as you manage to get office willing to accept your tourist visa. I would not recommend coming to BKK as there non-immigrant visa is required almost all the time.

You can always just drive with your home country licence, no problem as you know laws are not enforced and if police will stop you there is payment in any case. However the problems start when something happens. Say you drive over someone or something by accident not necessarily even your fault just to find out your are responsible for the accident as you do not have licence to drive and your insurance is not paying a single baht as you do not have legal driving licence to drive in thailand.

I did the written and drive tests when renewing my one year licence last year. The reason was that my one year licences were expired 4 years ago so i had to start from the beginning. Had non-imm visa and other docs as required. Only when i was walking out with my licences i noticed they issued me 5 years licences. Returned back and asked why. Just curious. And was told that "technically you fullfil the requirement for 5 year licence as you had thai licence more than one year already". This came with a smile and as i understood it was small favour for me being nice and understanding when they mix up my papers and having me to come back the next day to complete the process that should have taken only one day.

Legally only for a period of 3 months, then technically they need a Thai DL, note I use the word legally, what happens in reality is another thing.. :)

But a tourist has to leave the country after 90 days, and even some non-imm visa holders do.

So on re-entry the 3 months validity of the IDP starts again.

Legally only for a period of 3 months, then technically they need a Thai DL, note I use the word legally, what happens in reality is another thing.. :)

But a tourist has to leave the country after 90 days, and even some non-imm visa holders do.

So on re-entry the 3 months validity of the IDP starts again.

IDP has been created tourists in mind so that they can prove they have licence to drive in their home country and drive around on their holiday without having to get local licence. And most countries who recognize the IDP's have regulations stating they can be used for 3 months max or similar.

Now you can always consider it will re-start again with every visa run but in case you stay a year or two doing this and have an accident i would not expect to get a single baht from your insurance. I'm quite sure they consider your stay has been long term even if you have done the one day visa runs every 90 days.

I'm here with one year multiple non-O as i work outside and have thai DL as it is fairly easy to get and goes as ID in many places as it has your passport number in it. As an added plus i do not have to worry about insurance coverage and thai cops asking even more tea money due foreign licence.

Also after first year you get 5 year thai DL, much less hassle to renew as annual IDP renewals.

But up to you as they say.

I know a few people that have changed there Visa status as it were... Both Single and Married

They were on 1 year extensions, but Re bad exchange rate, now very bad interest rates etc....... + the New Law, [+ no limit on tourist Visas anymore] have now gone out of Thailand for a Tourist Visa most x2 ones, with an extension gives 6 months, many of these have/own a car/truck and have a Thai drivers license.

My question is can the people that gone this route no longer get there 5 year Thai license renewed ??

I just got my five-year licence renewed for another five years in BKK. Had to watch the video and take the colour blindness, peripheral vision and reaction-time test.

No problem.

I know a few people that have changed there Visa status as it were... Both Single and Married

They were on 1 year extensions, but Re bad exchange rate, now very bad interest rates etc....... + the New Law, [+ no limit on tourist Visas anymore] have now gone out of Thailand for a Tourist Visa most x2 ones, with an extension gives 6 months, many of these have/own a car/truck and have a Thai drivers license.

My question is can the people that gone this route no longer get there 5 year Thai license renewed ??

They'll get 5-year licenses if they have non-immigrant visas at the time of renewal. If they only have tourist visas, they'll receive 1-year.

Edited by Tired

Pattaya land transportation office 29 May.

48 year old applicant, tourist visa 2 entry from Laos.

Dress politely and clean. And no, I dont have any handicap.

Had with me Passport + copy pages + residence permit + medical certificate.

Hi,

What certificate of residence did you show ? From Jomtien immigration or from your embassy ? (immigration denied if to me at Bkk office when only showing a tourist visa).

1 year renewal is the law with Tourist visa but the law also says that you can't get a Thai driving license with a Tourist visa, so everything is possible...

Please tell us if you find a solution to renew for 5 years with a tourist visa, and how much ;-)

Thanks for replies.