So Who Has Actually Changed?

lemel

Truevisons (UBC) To Cancel BBC Entertainment From 1st June

So who has actually changed to an alternative system? lots of people saying that they will cancell and this is the end of True, but I'm sure that was said a few years ago, when they cancelled MTV. What are you using to replace it with?? how good is it?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay my Platinum subscription for one year so I have until next February to decide what to do.

I certainly won't keep the Platinum package, and I may dump the whole lot.

I can receive all I want through Multichoice - including BBC Entertainment, Movies, series, Sky News, BBC World, CNN, and loads of live sport (Premiership, all rugby internationals, Formula one without commercial breaks, all cricket internationals, including the current 2020 world cup, and so on and so), and many more.

I also get every True channel through an internet server, for a small monthly fee.

I have tried to go 100% legal with True, but they rebuff me at every turn. I wanted to add an extra card to my subscription, and they wouldn't let me - had to sign a completely new contract, and had to pay installation costs, buy or rent a new box from them (even though I already have several boxes, and no installation is required).

So I will probably follow my own advice and let UBC lapse, and just use their system for Thai channels for the Thais in my house.

As far as I'm concerned they don't understand how to run a professional cable/satellite business, but even if every farang cancelled their subscriptions, I doubt it will make one iota of difference to their attitude, or service.

True are doing a massive amount of advertizing at the moment ,extolling the virtues of repeats ,for workers who cant watch during the day ,and how wonderfull platinum is ,so great you have to upgrade ect ,but all in Thai aimed at Thais .personally i think we are an irelavance to them.

What? I loved the recent move by True and actually upgraded to Platinum as a result.

ASN is the best thing that has happened to Thai TV in 3 years. LIVE NFL, NCAA, NHL, NASCAR, etc...all on ASN!!!!! http://www.asn.tv/eng/about.html

My kids like the addition of Nickelodeon as well.

Normally I'm right there with everyone bashing True about customer service, very poor internet, and virtually everything else about the company...but they definitely got this one right. Kudos to True on adding these two channels.

:)

What? I loved the recent move by True and actually upgraded to Platinum as a result.

ASN is the best thing that has happened to Thai TV in 3 years. LIVE NFL, NCAA, NHL, NASCAR, etc...all on ASN!!!!! http://www.asn.tv/eng/about.html

Normally I'm right there with everyone bashing True about customer service, very poor internet, and virtually everything else about the company...but they definitely got this one right. Kudos to True on adding these two channels.

yes there is nickelodian,but they took away Animax which my son loved ,and now to add insult to injury are advertizing it constantly .and AXN beyond is just rubbish 30 minutes of dross and 20 minutes of advertizing dross,has anyone seen the American version of Life on mars ,unwatchable.

So who has actually changed to an alternative system? lots of people saying that they will cancell and this is the end of True, but I'm sure that was said a few years ago, when they cancelled MTV. What are you using to replace it with?? how good is it?

I have no financial data to support my theory. However, I strongly believe that BBCE must have been charging a large license fee. I can see no other reason why TrueV should drop a network that was clearly so popular with the many Brit expats in Thailand.

I'm American. Frankly, I never watched BBCE, as I prefer the American TV series and comedies carried on Star World, AXN, and True Series. I, along with every American sports fan I've talked with, was ELATED at the launch of the new Hong Kong based sports network, ASN, and at TrueV's decision to add it to it's lineup. Likewise, I applaud, though less enthusiastically, the addition of the 'AXN Beyond' network, giving me more options for some programs that I enjoy.

I mention all of that only to point out that I'm not an "angry Brit" who's pissed off about losing something that I enjoyed. I'm clearly on the 'plus' end of these changes. The simple fact is that there are at least a dozen relatively useless channels; not mention the 3 or 4 identified as "future channels" that are still empty. Why wouldn't TrueV cut one of those channels, as opposed to BBCE, which was popular with so many of its' subscribers? HAS to be money, doesn't it?

If so, that is, objectively, a much more understandable decision; and one which is difficult to criticize too strongly. If they can't afford it; they can't afford it.

I leave it to the Brits who are losing a favorite to consider that calmy for a moment; then tell us if they'd acknowledge that as a fair point.

I have left my house on Platinum for the moment - but should probably change down - I only ever watched BBC entertainment on that part of the package but then again, I hardly ever watch TV so could probably ditch the lot except for the news coverage - so I will probably end up just leaving it as it is as its too much hassle for a a not so expensive service and would get annoyed WHEN I needed to see something breaking like a news story.

I have no financial data to support my theory. However, I strongly believe that BBCE must have been charging a large license fee. I can see no other reason why TrueV should drop a network that was clearly so popular with the many Brit expats in Thailand.

I'm American. Frankly, I never watched BBCE, as I prefer the American TV series and comedies carried on Star World, AXN, and True Series. I, along with every American sports fan I've talked with, was ELATED at the launch of the new Hong Kong based sports network, ASN, and at TrueV's decision to add it to it's lineup. Likewise, I applaud, though less enthusiastically, the addition of the 'AXN Beyond' network, giving me more options for some programs that I enjoy.

I mention all of that only to point out that I'm not an "angry Brit" who's pissed off about losing something that I enjoyed. I'm clearly on the 'plus' end of these changes. The simple fact is that there are at least a dozen relatively useless channels; not mention the 3 or 4 identified as "future channels" that are still empty. Why wouldn't TrueV cut one of those channels, as opposed to BBCE, which was popular with so many of its' subscribers? HAS to be money, doesn't it?

If so, that is, objectively, a much more understandable decision; and one which is difficult to criticize too strongly. If they can't afford it; they can't afford it.

I leave it to the Brits who are losing a favorite to consider that calmy for a moment; then tell us if they'd acknowledge that as a fair point.

Hi George,

I changed from the Gold package to Knowledge on the 1st. Much of TrueV's programing is old, that includes Movies and TV shows. I can get more recent movies and tv shows from local cable (Banglamung and Sophon) or the internet. The inclusion of the ASN channel is great, but they put it in their Platinum package. Going from approx 450 baht per month to 2100 for that is quite expensive, but they offer more NFL games and NCAA sports including March Madness. I have to ponder that over the next 3 months.

Greg

Hi George,

I changed from the Gold package to Knowledge on the 1st. Much of TrueV's programing is old, that includes Movies and TV shows. I can get more recent movies and tv shows from local cable (Banglamung and Sophon) or the internet. The inclusion of the ASN channel is great, but they put it in their Platinum package. Going from approx 450 baht per month to 2100 for that is quite expensive, but they offer more NFL games and NCAA sports including March Madness. I have to ponder that over the next 3 months.

Greg

I fully understand your position, Greg. Our lifestyles are a bit different, so the Platinum package is worth the investment for me. Sad to say, TV is darn near my only form of entertainment here. I'm married, and have literally NO "nightlife". The only times I go out at night are for shopping or dinner with my wife. Most nights, it's TV at home.

In addition to that, I have been an NFL addict for more years than I care to count. When I moved to Thailand in 2006, the reduction in NFL game coverage, and off-field news programs, was my greatest "loss". (Yes, sick addict!) I subscribed to the NFL's "Game Pass" internet package last season; and will renew this year, to ensure that I can see EVERY game played by my team, The New England Patriots.

For me, the cost of the TrueV Platinum package, and the $230 per year for the NFL "Game Pass" package, are nearly my total "entertainment" costs. When you look at it in that light, it's not that much money - even when I add in the liquor bill! :)

Hi George,

Greg

I fully understand your position, Greg. Our lifestyles are a bit different, so the Platinum package is worth the investment for me. Sad to say, TV is darn near my only form of entertainment here. I'm married, and have literally NO "nightlife". The only times I go out at night are for shopping or dinner with my wife. Most nights, it's TV at home.

In addition to that, I have been an NFL addict for more years than I care to count. When I moved to Thailand in 2006, the reduction in NFL game coverage, and off-field news programs, was my greatest "loss". (Yes, sick addict!) I subscribed to the NFL's "Game Pass" internet package last season; and will renew this year, to ensure that I can see EVERY game played by my team, The New England Patriots.

For me, the cost of the TrueV Platinum package, and the $230 per year for the NFL "Game Pass" package, are nearly my total "entertainment" costs. When you look at it in that light, it's not that much money - even when I add in the liquor bill! :)

I don't think are lifestyles are that much different as aside from the internet I also watch a lot of TV and definitely enjoy the NFL, NBA, NFL, MLB and NCAA football and basketball. You probably have convinced me to upgrade this fall to the Platinum package.

Greg

I can receive all I want through Multichoice - including BBC Entertainment, Movies, series, Sky News, BBC World, CNN, and loads of live sport (Premiership, all rugby internationals, Formula one without commercial breaks, all cricket internationals, including the current 2020 world cup, and so on and so), and many more.

How do you get multichoice in Pattaya?

What's it like for kids programming?

How do you get multichoice in Pattaya?

What's it like for kids programming?

There is plenty of kids programming.

If you Google JSat and look for Multichoice form S Africa, you should get an idea of the programmes.

I don't use JSat as they are very expensive to set up and their customer service from Bangkok is not good.

But you have to have a bit of technical savvy to go my route, and it's quite difficult to explain. If you want to meet up one day I can show you and tell you how to do it. The first requirement is a RELIABLE, STABLE, intertnet connection. Without that you will suffer endless frustrations.

There is plenty of kids programming.

If you Google JSat and look for Multichoice form S Africa, you should get an idea of the programmes. I know JSat but I can't put one of their dishes on the balcony of my condo

I don't use JSat as they are very expensive to set up and their customer service from Bangkok is not good.

But you have to have a bit of technical savvy to go my route, That's definitely not me and it's quite difficult to explain. If you want to meet up one day I can show you and tell you how to do it. The first requirement is a RELIABLE, STABLE, intertnet connection. In Pattaya?? You must be joking?? Without that you will suffer endless frustrations.

I dropped from Platinum to Gold on 1 June.

As a Brit, I enjoyed that slice of home broadcasting. No point spending 700 B extra for other stuff. there is already a lot of channels and programmes - it was stuff like DL and Pascoe, Afterlife, Prime Suspect, Waking the Dead, Hustle, which were well made quality programmes and worth it. A shame.

I phoned True and they told me the BBC was asking too much for the license renewal hence why they choose to drop them. You have to remember UBC is American and there is a strong American influence in the programming.

I'm sure True just made a pure business decision cost and demand- it shows their viewers are either Americans, non discerning or if Thai want the less complicated plots anyway as they are watching stuff in a foreign language with a foreign context - the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration - not something Thai tv fosters or develops in the viewing public >

Anyone who watches thai tv will know it's ridiculous slapstick with over the top acting and uncomplicated plots ( dealing in stereotypes all the time) so as to never require any challenging thought in the viewer. American TV is often similar - just watch one of those History channel/ Discovery type programmes and count how many times the same facts are repeated and the story retold - to help the viewer consolidate understanding- unbelieveable ! Therefore the American programmes will be far more enjoyable and accessible to the thai viewing public.

I also downgraded to Gold on 1st June. I find the US style channels unwatchable with breaks every 7-8 minutes advertising the next "great" offering they have which will, in turn, be interrupted every few minutes to plug the next programme. BBC Ent was the only channel I regularly watched apart from the Sports channels and was a huge disappointment when it was withdrawn. There is enough American style programming already, but then, as someone has already mentioned UBC are a US based company so no surprise there. Are Americans really that dumb that they need such constant reminders of upcoming shows? :):D :D

I dropped from Platinum to Gold on 1 June.

As a Brit, I enjoyed that slice of home broadcasting. No point spending 700 B extra for other stuff. there is already a lot of channels and programmes - it was stuff like DL and Pascoe, Afterlife, Prime Suspect, Waking the Dead, Hustle, which were well made quality programmes and worth it. A shame.

I phoned True and they told me the BBC was asking too much for the license renewal hence why they choose to drop them. You have to remember UBC is American and there is a strong American influence in the programming.

I'm sure True just made a pure business decision cost and demand- it shows their viewers are either Americans, non discerning or if Thai want the less complicated plots anyway as they are watching stuff in a foreign language with a foreign context - the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration - not something Thai tv fosters or develops in the viewing public >

Anyone who watches thai tv will know it's ridiculous slapstick with over the top acting and uncomplicated plots ( dealing in stereotypes all the time) so as to never require any challenging thought in the viewer. American TV is often similar - just watch one of those History channel/ Discovery type programmes and count how many times the same facts are repeated and the story retold - to help the viewer consolidate understanding- unbelieveable ! Therefore the American programmes will be far more enjoyable and accessible to the thai viewing public.

I don't see how anyone can argue your point, tvaddict. Americans' lack of intelligence is undeniable. Their failure to succeed at anything over the past two centuries is absolute proof of that! :)

I also downgraded to Gold on 1st June. I find the US style channels unwatchable with breaks every 7-8 minutes advertising the next "great" offering they have which will, in turn, be interrupted every few minutes to plug the next programme. BBC Ent was the only channel I regularly watched apart from the Sports channels and was a huge disappointment when it was withdrawn. There is enough American style programming already, but then, as someone has already mentioned UBC are a US based company so no surprise there. Are Americans really that dumb that they need such constant reminders of upcoming shows? :D:D:D

Absolutely, gmac. Most Americans that I know have written several notes to TrueV, begging them to run more promo breaks during their programs. Some fools have claimed that the promos are the sole idea of the various networks; but intelligent folks know better. They've been pushed into it by those dumb Americans! :)

I agree with you. I love American football and it killed me to miss it. I mean, how many freaking sports channels can you have showing the same darn soccer match?

I also downgraded to Gold on 1st June. I find the US style channels unwatchable with breaks every 7-8 minutes advertising the next "great" offering they have which will, in turn, be interrupted every few minutes to plug the next programme. BBC Ent was the only channel I regularly watched apart from the Sports channels and was a huge disappointment when it was withdrawn. There is enough American style programming already, but then, as someone has already mentioned UBC are a US based company so no surprise there. Are Americans really that dumb that they need such constant reminders of upcoming shows? :):D :D

Can you explain the comment "UBC are a US based company" ? True is a Thai company as far as I know. They re-broadcast several networks that are US owned/operated such as AXN .

I also downgraded from Platinum to Gold from June 1. BBC Entertainment accounted for 70% of my viewing.

I work nights so only watched TV on weekends. That's why I have never complained about repeats.

A couple of posts have said that TrueVisions/UBC is an American company. I don't think it is. UBC had a South African link-up and several of their senior execs came from there. TrueVisions, which took it over around 2006, is True Corporation which is an offshoot of Charoen Pokphand --- CP, the chicken people. Their programming has a strong American influence but the buck stops there. In all other respects it is a Thai company, based in Bangkok and its management is Thai.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Camelot

I also downgraded to Gold on 1st June. I find the US style channels unwatchable with breaks every 7-8 minutes advertising the next "great" offering they have which will, in turn, be interrupted every few minutes to plug the next programme. BBC Ent was the only channel I regularly watched apart from the Sports channels and was a huge disappointment when it was withdrawn. There is enough American style programming already, but then, as someone has already mentioned UBC are a US based company so no surprise there. Are Americans really that dumb that they need such constant reminders of upcoming shows? :D:D:D

Absolutely, gmac. Most Americans that I know have written several notes to TrueV, begging them to run more promo breaks during their programs. Some fools have claimed that the promos are the sole idea of the various networks; but intelligent folks know better. They've been pushed into it by those dumb Americans! :)

I'll take it even farther. We Amercans are so dumb we convinced the Thai government to not allow running "real" boring commercial messages. We told them we like to see all these program promos instead. After all who wants to see an ad for Thai washing detergent or whatever every five minutes when we can watch these exciting program shorts over and over again

Come October, TrueVisions intend to introduce real commercials. They already have permission from the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand to do so. The Bangkok Post said that they would start with 12 channels.

Longball might just get his ads for washing detergent after all.

the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration

I actually kind of felt sorry for the Brits over losing the BBC until a few creeps started in with the usual American bashing. I must not forget that most Brits are perfectly nice people even though their TV shows are so boring that nobody else wants to watch them.

This one can't even spell and his grammar is terrible. All of that "intelligent" British TV certainly did not help him a lick. :)

I actually kind of felt sorry for the Brits over losing the BBC until a few creeps started in with the usual American bashing. I must not forget that most Brits are perfectly nice people even though their TV shows are so boring that nobody else wants to watch them.

This one can't even spell and his grammar is terrible. All of that "intelligent" British TV certainly did not help him a lick. :)

boring Huh?

so boring that yanks paid the Brits billions of $ to remake them.....

Agony The Lucie Arnaz Show

Airline Airline British version renamed Airline UK in the US Da Ali G Show Da Ali G Show The second (two series) series by Channel 4 in the UK and HBO in the US Antiques Roadshow Antiques Roadshow

Are You Being Served? Beanes of Boston Un-aired pilot. As If As If US remake canceled after two episodes on UPN Ballykissangel Hope Island

Birds of a Feather Stand by Your Man

Blackpool Viva Laughlin! US remake canceled after two episodes (CBS) Brat Camp Brat Camp

Britain's Got Talent America's Got Talent

Cash in the Attic Cash in the Attic

CD:UK CD USA

Celebrity Fit Club Celebrity Fit Club Both versions featured Former US Marine Harvey Walden IV as a judge, but the other judges are changed often Changing Rooms Trading Spaces

Cold Feet Cold Feet

Cracker Cracker US remake is known as Fitz in the UK Coupling Coupling US remake was cancelled after four episodes. Dad's Army The Rear Guard Pilot episode only. Dear John Dear John Known as Dear John USA in the UK Distraction Distraction Same host (Jimmy Carr) Dog Eat Dog Dog Eat Dog

Don't Forget Your Toothbrush Don't Forget Your Toothbrush

Eleventh Hour Eleventh Hour

Faking It Faking It

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin Reggie

Fawlty Towers Chateau Snavely Pilot episode only with Harvey Korman & Betty White Amanda's Starring Beatrice Arthur Payne Starring John Larroquette Footballers' Wives Football Wives Confirmed pilot Ant & Dec's Gameshow Marathon Gameshow Marathon

George and Mildred The Ropers

Gladiators (British TV show) American Gladiators (2008 US Revival) 2008 US revival is closer to the UK version (a UK game, Hit and Run, and UK rules for many games) than the original US version. The Grimleys The Grubbs

hel_l's Kitchen hel_l's Kitchen American version broadcast in the UK as hel_l's Kitchen USA on ITV2. Hit Me Baby One More Time Hit Me Baby One More Time Same host, both ITV productions. Holding the Baby Holding the Baby

Home to Roost You Again?

Honey, We're Killing the Kids Honey We're Killing the Kids

How Clean Is Your House? How Clean Is Your House?

I'd Do Anything I'd Do Anything George Gray hosted US version on ESPN -- hosted his third US version of a British show. I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!

The IT Crowd The IT Crowd Pilot cancelled in 2008 Keep it in the Family Too Close for Comfort

Life on Mars Life on Mars Original pilot set in Chicago. Scrapped as production and setting moved to New York. Love Thy Neighbour Love Thy Neighbor

Man About The House Three's Company

Masterchef Masterchef

Max Headroom Max Headroom

Men Behaving Badly Men Behaving badly

Mind Your Language What a Country

Mr. Men and Little Miss Mr. Men Show

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Never Mind The Buzzcocks

The 1900 House Frontier House Frontier House broadcast in the UK on Channel 4. Not the Nine O'Clock News Not Necessarily the News The Daily Show, especially in its earlier incarnation under Craig Kilborn, also owes a great deal to this show. The Office The Office Known as The Office: An American Workplace when aired in UK. On the Buses Lotsa Luck

One Foot in the Grave Cosby Many differences. Outnumbered Outnumbered Picked up by Fox Pop Idol American Idol Pop Idol was broadcast in the UK on ITV launching in 2002. Simon Cowell was a judge on American Idol. . Idols went on to be produced in over 34 countries including: Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Russia, India, Singapore, Phillipines, Vietnam, Latin America. Porridge On the Rocks

Queer As Folk Queer as Folk

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares Kitchen Nightmares US version broadcast in the UK on Channel 4 as Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA. Red Dwarf Red Dwarf Two un-aired pilots Robin's Nest Three's a Crowd

Robot Wars Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors Filmed alongside the UK show in 2001 and 2002. Scrapheap Challenge Junkyard Wars Scrapheap and Junkyard have gone head-to-head in transatlantic challenges in the UK.[1] Secret Millionaire Secret Millionaire

Spaced Spaced Only a pilot episode was made. Spitting Image D.C. Follies

Steptoe and Son Sanford and Son Relied on race as well as class Strictly Come Dancing Dancing with the Stars

Supernanny Supernanny British episodes shown along with US episodes Teachers Teachers Cancelled after 6 episodes. That Was The Week That Was That Was The Week That Was Both versions hosted by David Frost The Thick of It The Thick of It (US TV series) Currently under development by Mitchell Hurwitz. [1] This Life First Years

Till Death Us Do Part All in the Family Coincidentally, the All in the Family spinoff Maude was remade in the UK as Nobody's Perfect, and the Maude spinoff Good Times was remade as The Fosters. None of the UK series were connected to each other or to Till Death Us Do Part. Touching Evil Touching Evil

Trigger Happy TV Trigger Happy TV Dom Joly appears in both versions of the show, despite the US version having a mostly new cast - Joly was the only on screen star in the UK Version. The American version is known as "Trigger Happy USA" when aired in the UK Two's Company The Two of Us

Upstairs, Downstairs Beacon Hill

The Vicar of Dibley The Minister Of Divine Confirmed pilot starring Kirstie Alley The Weakest Link Weakest Link (US) Anne Robinson hosted both the UK version and the original US primetime version. What Not to Wear What Not to Wear

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Who Wants to Be a Millionaire US Daytime Series 5 (2006-07) featured four hosts; regular host Meredith Vieira, substitutes Al Roker, Tom Bergeron, and Tim Vincent. Whose Line Is It Anyway? Whose Line Is It Anyway? UK version hosted by Clive Anderson as were initial episodes of the US version before Drew Carey became the permanent host. Wife Swap Wife Swap (ABC) / Trading Spouses (FOX)

Wild at Heart Life Is Wild US version cancelled after thirteen episodes. The Young Person's Guide to Becoming a Rock Star My Guide to Becoming a Rock Star

Come October, TrueVisions intend to introduce real commercials. They already have permission from the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand to do so. The Bangkok Post said that they would start with 12 channels.

Longball might just get his ads for washing detergent after all.

This could be very good news for EVERYBODY, whatever your programming preferences. :D Clearly, it will mean a significant increase in revenue for TrueV. That could mean that they'll be able to afford the more expensive licenses of some networks (like the Brits precious BBCE). So maybe we can all get what we'd like to see, IF TrueV is willing to spend some of that new revenue for improvements, rather that do it "the Thai way", and pocket it all! :)

MEANWHILE, I suggest that everyone who LIKES any or all of the recent changes take a couple of minutes to drop a note to TrueV, telling them so. Realistically, there are always more people motivated to take action to complain, than there are to praise. If TrueV gets buried in complaints about the changes, they may actually drop ASN. So please, if you're in favor of the changes, drop a note to TruevisionsCare [[email protected]], and support them.

Rasseru has excellent taste in food and seems to try all of the better restaurants in Chiang Mai. Maybe he would be willing to share some insights with the rest of us? :D

(If he can find time between bashing people for spelling mistakes) :D

The words pot, kettle and black spring immediately to mind...........