Thai Restaurant Chain Owner In America Arrested For Immigration Fraud

It is a bit silly to use a case in Seattle to instill the fear of god, or the Federal government, into the US based Thai population

Its a bit silly to think that is the case.

As Thewalkingman surmised, the FEDS didn't go looking for it, it came to them and dropped in their lap. If they don't investigate and this fact is revealed it is grounds for an IA investigation (of the FEDS)

The Thai media love it because here are Thais oppresssed by other goverments immigration laws.

The Thai people immigrating to the USA have received a cookie of their own paste.

Keep shouting anti-foreigner messages and keep enforcing anti-foreigner laws like Thailand Immmigration has been doing the last year (published in ThaiVisa in color and smell), and see what the result from other countries versus Thai Immigrants will be.

Being racist lie the Thai does, can be done other countries as well.

I am sorry but that was just really dumb on her part. I am a greencard holder myself so I am generally very pro immigration, it's IMO one of the reasons the USA was doing as well as it has, and also the USA is just a nice place for immigrants.

Aiding immigration fraud is a very serious offense - probably because it's very hard to prove.

But paying off people - that's extremely risky, in many ways. It's easy to say, hey, I marry you, and you can stay here. But to keep this up over 3, or 5 years isn't easy. Circumstances change, people might move away, or find a real spouse and want to marry, etc.

She could just have tried to find husbands for her female relatives, would have been perfectly legal, and also better for everyone involved.

And.. because immigration fraud is pretty wide-spread and hard to prove, you can be sure that they'll make an example of her case - an example that says loud and clear, don't do that.

Edited by nikster

The Thai people immigrating to the USA have received a cookie of their own paste.

Keep shouting anti-foreigner messages and keep enforcing anti-foreigner laws like Thailand Immmigration has been doing the last year (published in ThaiVisa in color and smell), and see what the result from other countries versus Thai Immigrants will be.

^^ This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic?!? Don't worry, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is doing its best to be really nasty to every Thai going there, they are holding up the flag for you....

The USA isn't doing that because of whatever you think the Thais are doing to foreigners, but because they are enforcing the laws. Laws which have been in place for a pretty long time.

I still think it's a big deal when these line-jumpers contravene those going the fully legal route and who must wait months and months for approval and expend lots of time, energy, and money in the lengthy process. As the Immigration officer in the news videolink says it creates a lot of problems for those that want to enter legitimately.

Well it would also help if the U.S. immigration system wasn't broken beyond repair. If keeping people out is the main purpose of the system, it's no wonder many are trying to circumvent it.

I don't have a solution either, sadly, but the fact is that there are many people who try to enter legally and are rejected, and so they try to enter illegally.

Its hard to get excited about this case if she turns out be guilty. One of things that does bug me about US immigration is that a lot of the demonizination of immigrants is directed at non-Anglo people of color, mostly Latinos. Its rare to here complaints about illegal Brits or illegal Aussies or illegal Canadians, yet there are many.

Edited by Jingthing

Its hard to get excited about this case if she turns out be guilty. One of things that does bug me about US immigration is that a lot of the demonizination of immigrants is directed at non-Anglo people of color, mostly Latinos. Its rare to here complaints about illegal Brits or illegal Aussies or illegal Canadians, yet there are many.

I note that a nice french lady can do a long over stay and then another a year or so on, go home,

and not have a lick of trouble coming back for another visit,

though keeping to time limits for round three.

Though this is less likely post 9/11.

Thai Ginger restaurants in Seattle are pretty good, I have eaten there a few times. I wonder why the city has a large concentration of Thais -- near UW there's a street with 10+ Thai restaurants.

Don't mistake incompetence for malice. ICE plainly sucks (just look at processing times for many documents -- green cards, K3/K4 visas and such, they are often expressed in *years*). Latinos just have to deal with the hassle more often than Anglo people (who are on a visa-waiver anyway, and represent a much smaller proportion of immigrants).

Now, when it comes to resentment towards immigrants by American people, it's very disturbing and clearly hypocritical when coming from those that are not descendants of Native Americans...

Seattle branch of ICE, is seriously incompetent but they do not seem malicious. Some of my co-workers had to sue ICE in federal court to get very simple matters resolved. Obviously, a tipoff got Mrs. Varee into trouble -- ICE would have sat on their hands indefinitely if it was up to them.

While I'm generally sympathetic to immigrants, she obviously did the marriage-for-green-card thing too many times and made a commercial venture out of it. It's clearly illegal, and being a middleman deriving a profit from it is immoral as well.

On the other hand, an immigrant paying someone to marry them is illegal, but I think they can hardly be blamed (in a moral sense) for seeking life, liberty & pursuit of happiness in a foreign land, and for bumping against hostile laws. After all, many of us expats are immigrants in reverse (e.g. USA to Thailand)... not that much different.

Now, once we legalize gay marriages, that's where the *real* fun with marriages-for-immigration starts...

When you mess with something that falls within the US Fed's jurisdiction, things can get serious quick.

'marriages of convenience' have been common in the States for many years, and most of the time they're not a big deal for either the man or the woman or a big deal for American society as a whole. One of the drawbacks could be coerced sex for the woman. Taking a payment for brokering a marriage is, as far as I know, not against any US law. The Feds are acting on the premise of 'illegal immigration' - which is rather silly, when you consider tens of thousands of Mexicans slip illegally in to the States on any given day.

Yeah, sure, right. Immigration Fraud is a very big deal, especially compared to a migrant worker crossing the border to work illegally. And when they are caught by immigration, they sit in an immigration detention center until they are deported. They don't get released on their own recognizance. This particular offense cost me an enormous amount in the U.S. when I got involved with someone who was in the country in just this manner and would do anything to remain. I'm still cleaning up the mess. Besides, I think reciprocity should dictate that Thai's in the U.S. should have to submit to same immigration nightmare we face here in Thailand, married or not.

Not to mention I am from Seattle and Washington and I know these restaurants. Too bad for them, but considering what I lost for not breaking the law, I think they should end up being much worse off than me. Som nom na, right?

That's my cent's worth!

I still think it's a big deal when these line-jumpers contravene those going the fully legal route and who must wait months and months for approval and expend lots of time, energy, and money in the lengthy process. As the Immigration officer in the news videolink says it creates a lot of problems for those that want to enter legitimately.

Well it would also help if the U.S. immigration system wasn't broken beyond repair. If keeping people out is the main purpose of the system, it's no wonder many are trying to circumvent it.

I don't have a solution either, sadly, but the fact is that there are many people who try to enter legally and are rejected, and so they try to enter illegally.

As if the Thai system could even be compared!

I could vent on this topic from any angle all day long. But the main point I can make is that people who enter the country illegally, tend to start off thinking doing things illegally is okay and just the way things are done. Sorry, but that has been my extensive experience I am dead sick of it and hope when they are caught, they are punished severely. That in mind, I don't know how severe is possible in this case, as prisons in the U.S., especially most women's prisons, are a vacation getaway compared to Thailands prisons, and even a substantial increase in living standard for most Thai's.

Bitter? Me? Nooooo...

It is a bit silly to use a case in Seattle to instill the fear of god, or the Federal government, into the US based Thai population

Its a bit silly to think that is the case.

As Thewalkingman surmised, the FEDS didn't go looking for it, it came to them and dropped in their lap. If they don't investigate and this fact is revealed it is grounds for an IA investigation (of the FEDS)

The Thai media love it because here are Thais oppresssed by other goverments immigration laws.

<deleted>? Oppressed?

I'd like to know how blatantly conspiring to breaking the law in order to take advantage, yet again, of the U.S. is oppressive?

:)

I would like to know how many times my wife returned home and asked me if I knew any nice farangs who would be willing to hook up with and marry a Thai girl. The Thai grape vine in melbourne was like jungle drums. There was even a going rate in Australia of $30,000.00 15 years or so ago. What people were willing to pay to the Australian Male that is.

Most of the time this was low level just to get someones sister etc into the country to join them, and to help them out, as thai families do. Of course all of these weren't always a sham either and the couples did form legitmate relatshionships.

We have had immigration rackets being run at very high levels in Australia in the past too.

It would appear that this woman got greedy and turned the practice into an artform.

If only she used her business prowess for good! :)

Issaquah Press (Washington state, USA) / 2009-06-23

"In another 2005 instance, Bradford asked a male employee to marry a female relative who wanted to bring her two children to the United States. Bradford paid the man $10,000 to $15,000 for the marriage, the documents said."

Did that include the sinsod? :)

All kidding aside, it's pretty ridiculous to see rather petty offenses like this pursued and prosecuted, when the US southern borders are absolutely overrun with tens of thousands of daily illegal entrants, many of whom are seeking little more than to get on the dole, work in the drug trade, or rejoin their gang-banger buddies.

Seems pretty obvious that this is a case of some bureaucrat looking for a political scapegoat to make it look like someone is actually doing their job. Thais get the book thrown at them while Latinos get a pass. Can anyone say discriminatory law enforcement and prosecution? Meanwhile ... Rome burns .... and Nero fiddles.

<deleted>? They should prosecute and deport anyone and everyone involved in illegal immigration, especially of this type, and including those married individuals, as it is well known to drain resources, jobs, and other rights of citizens and legal immigrants down significantly. I have been involved first hand in seeing the wanton disregard and lawlessness of people who enter this way. I too used to think it wasn't a big deal. BUT IT IS!

Anybody understand what events first initiated metal detectors at places like courthouses? Geez.... yeah, obvious.

Double for the Ani-burgers of this community!

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a payment for brokering a marriage is, as far as I know, not against any US law.

there have been many across the country, who arranged marriages for others--which never is

against any statue.

however, the difference here centers on one word--intention.

if the intention is to defraud, obstruct, conceal material facts as such, as it implies

in the accusation, then the very same act differs singnificantly in its implication.... imho.

to seize her assets might not be as simple as one imagines either. most thai entrepreneurs

register with many names and identities as well, and; sometimes with different

members of the same or differnt family. unless, of course, some of her insiders

becomes disenchanted or dissatisfied with whatever and squeals.

on the other hand, my deep sympathy goes with her family members.... it is a

very tough uphill struggle, both emotionally and financially.

the wheel of justice grinds slowly and it will grind every accused, down to tiny pieces;

even if you are determined by your peers of jury--not guilty, at the end.

the whole process is extremely excruciatingly painful and hurtful.

my deepest sympathy, varee; whether the jury finds you guilty or innocent.

the damages you suffer are already irrepairable....

i sincerely hope for you, they will just confine their investigation.

"soo-soo" varee " สู้ สู้" !

We had a tiny Siam cafe near us, an old rented house, put all the indoor furniture outside for business, and returned it at night. The whole family worked, slept on the stove. One day they bought the house, made it larger, than opened another, 2 blocks away. Then they bought the first block, razed it and built a strip mall. Now they must be worth $10/20m. Bet they had a deal running with the INS. Nobody ever said they were stupid. Thats grass-roots America. No harm, no foul.

Where is the racism? She allegedly broke the law - several times using the employees of her business to enter into fraudulent marriages for the benefit of her relatives. Are you suggesting that she NOT be prosecuted because she is Thai? That would be racist.

• 3 months later...

There's an update on this case:

Guilty plea in immigration fraud case

SEATTLE, Oct. 24 (UPI) -- A 44-year-old woman who owns a chain of Thai restaurants in the Seattle area has pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit immigration fraud.

Varee Bradford, owner of five Thai Ginger restaurants, pleaded guilty in federal court to charges she paid restaurant employees to marry her Thai relatives so the foreigners could legally stay in the United States, The Seattle Times reported Friday.

Bradford also pleaded guilty to three counts of fraud relating to immigration documents.

Bradford was accused of orchestrating four marriages between 2001 and 2007 involving her Thai relatives and Thai Ginger employees.

Authorities allege the employees, who were all U.S. citizens, were paid as much as $20,000 to agree to the marriages.

A tip nearly three years ago led Immigrations and Customs Enforcement officials to begin investigating the marriages, leading to Bradford's arrest in June.

The Times said Bradford is to be sentenced Jan. 22 and is facing as much as five years in prison.

post-23727-1256453609.gif

Friday, October 23, 2009

Thai Ginger owner admits paying workers to marry her relatives

By Mike Carter

Seattle Times staff reporter

The owner of a local chain of popular Thai restaurants pleaded guilty Friday in federal court to conspiracy to commit immigration fraud for paying employees thousands of dollars to enter into "sham marriages" with her relatives from Thailand so they could stay in the U.S.

Varee Bradford, 44, who operates five Thai Ginger restaurants in Seattle and the Eastside, faces up to five years in prison when she is sentenced on Jan. 22. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit immigration fraud and three counts of fraud relating to immigration documents.

She was arrested at her Issaquah home in June after a grand jury indicted her on four felony counts.

Bradford had been under investigation for about three years after Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) received a tip about her alleged scheme. The indictment specified four marriages that Bradford arranged between 2001 and 2007 for employees who are U.S. citizens with Thai relatives of hers.

Both male and female employees were offered $10,000 to $20,000 to marry the Thai immigrants to make it easier for them to obtain permanent resident "green cards" and stay in the country, according to the charges.

Foreigners who marry U.S. citizens are given immediate eligibility to immigrate to the United States, though the marriages must pass scrutiny by agents to make sure they are legitimate.

According to the restaurant's posting on its Web site, Bradford immigrated from Thailand to Illinois and then moved to Seattle, where she worked in Thai restaurants for two years before she and her husband struck out on their own.

They opened the first Thai Ginger on the Eastside in 1996 and expanded to five restaurants within eight years.

A co-defendant in the case, Porramin Tangchaiwanna, one of Bradford's managers, pleaded guilty to conspiracy earlier and was sentenced to four months in jail.

Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Mike Carter: 206-464-3706 or [email protected]

I am from Seattle, have eaten at several of the Thai Ginger restaurants and know a little more about the case from the local news and Thai friends here than what has been reported on Thai Visa.

To clear up some misconceptions made or inferred by some other posters, Ms Varee Bradford has not been a struggling immigrant for quite some time; in fact she is quite wealthy. Her restaurants are at the high end of the approximately 300 Thai restaurants in the Seattle area. She lives in Issaquah which is a very affluent suburb and her restaurants are all located in high end venues. Madison Park is an affluent neighborhood as is Redmond home of Microsoft Corp.. The outlet downtown is in the Pacific Place shopping center which is the most expensive in the city. All the American citizens who were paid to enter into the false marriages where of Thai ancestry. With her money she could have easily paid for good immigration lawyers to help her relatives remain in the US legally and by the book, although this would have taken a lot of time. Instead she decided to cheat and has now made sure her relatives will never be approved for residency. I hope they throw the book at her. It's this exact kind of thing that makes it very difficult for legitimate immigrants to get approved.

She doesn't need any loopholes. She can easily be a full and completely legal owner of a business in America, whether she's been naturalized as a citizen or not. Something that can't be done here vice-versa. So farang aren't "lucky"... she is... or was, until she broke other unrelated criminal laws.

:)

OH REALLY?

Hello My friend??

This is a serious case in my personal opinion and the suspect had a real deal with ICE agent. Not he says or she says??? Plus a grand jury indicted. open document??? as such...The suspect is a naturalization, and her right is not the same as American born.

Right now 13 millions illegal undocuments are in America. Most of them do not pay taxes and they send money approximately 500 millions back to Latin America... The American are furious because, no one wants to debate...the Derm refused to add them in Healthcare package??? ( I am sure it will add when it is a law, no one reads 1000 pages ) The Repug are furious and wow not to give an Amesty program...because, entitlements and no money for the programs...What a mess??? At this moment the ICE officers bus the undocument workers every day and no day off??? The Californian did pay free healthcare ( 25 billions ) for them while the Americans unable to get help after get lay off from work??? I hate to tell all but, I can not deny and sit around any more?? My take and opinion.

Hello My friend??

This is a serious case in my personal opinion and the suspect had a real deal with ICE agent. Not he says or she says??? Plus a grand jury indicted. open document??? as such...The suspect is a naturalization, and her right is not the same as American born.Right now 13 millions illegal undocuments are in America. Most of them do not pay taxes and they send money approximately 500 millions back to Latin America... The American are furious because, no one wants to debate...the Derm refused to add them in Healthcare package??? ( I am sure it will add when it is a law, no one reads 1000 pages ) The Repug are furious and wow not to give an Amesty program...because, entitlements and no money for the programs...What a mess??? At this moment the ICE officers bus the undocument workers every day and no day off??? The Californian did pay free healthcare ( 25 billions ) for them while the Americans unable to get help after get lay off from work??? I hate to tell all but, I can not deny and sit around any more?? My take and opinion.

Every natualized citizen has every right as any American born citizen except they cannot run for President.