Short Drives From Bkk City Centre?

Any recommendations for some nice short drives to go on from the city centre?

I'm living close to Victory Monument and would defintely like to know some nice routes to go on, or areas to go to.

Asking for winding country roads with paddies and palm trees lined along side is asking for a bit much, but any nice drives that get you of the city quickly?

I've seen some canals up around Rangsit I think, when on visa run buses. So going north might be my best option.

Any recommendations for some nice rides?

Any recommendations for some nice short drives to go on from the city centre?

I'm living close to Victory Monument and would defintely like to know some nice routes to go on, or areas to go to.

Asking for winding country roads with paddies and palm trees lined along side is asking for a bit much, but any nice drives that get you of the city quickly?

I've seen some canals up around Rangsit I think, when on visa run buses. So going north might be my best option.

Any recommendations for some nice rides?

If you are looking for a 3-4 hour trip then may I suggest riding from Rama 3 road and heading down Sukhumvit towards bang na trat at peak hour, then head back to victory monument... That's atleast a 3 hour round trip

I like driving at night. I love Ratchadapisek, Sukumvit, Phathonyotin, and I often do a loop, taking the Sathon bridge across to the west of ChaoPraya river, and then down taksin road. Then I come back via the rama 9 bridge that bikes are technically not supposed to go on, but have done it a ton of times with no problems. I think its its one of the best view of bangkok. Its such a high bridge and you can see all of Bangkok it seems. It realy shows how big it is. Spectacular during day and night. Then coming in off the Rama 9 bridge and taking a left, you head into central towards klong toi and go over many nice bridges (over intersections) getting a great view over and over.

During the day at your average time the traffic will be heavy and may be uncomfortable for fun, but at night its beautiful, and the sound of the vfr engine coming down the street in the darkness is wonderful.

Im trying to think of nice drives out of central bangkok for 3-4 hours, but during the day, in all directions, it will be heavy traffic and not sightseeing, unless you are driving in the express lane of bangna trat or rangsit. There you can go fast, and it can be very fun, but isnt much of a view... I still enjoy a day cruise for fun though.. At night though you can get around easy and its beautiful and more silent. Just watch yourself....

I do find ramcanghang, sukumvit, ratchada, and pathonyotin to have a good city scenery effect, probably because of the bridges, underpasses, and or over hanging bts or expressway. Rama 9 to victory monument is nice as well, and all direction from there are unique. It is fun to go northwest over the pinkclao bridge and then go up the "cars only" area and its a long stretch that lasts quite awhile and hangs above the buildings in the area. then it takes a left and goes down into a road similar to bangna trat and it is fun to cruise in the center. This is actually fast even during the day and gets you quickly to Nakon Pathom, though from there I havent been further then Mahidon university, but would assume you can get some nice trails from there.

What bike are you driving?

Edited by lennya12threh

Chang Wattana road is quite interesting; that eventutally heads to the new bridge over the Chao Pra Ya river. Its all 'green belt' there.

Namawin Road is also green belt and new; this is an extension to Kasert off the Rangsit. Lots of housing developments and new shopping malls going up there.

Following Ratchada Road over the Pra Rama 7 bridge; views off the bridges are interesting. You can do a round trip back to Victory Monument.

Taking the Nakorn Nayok road from Rangsit all the way up to Nakorn Nayok is a nice (long) drive. At the end of the road you have the waterfall there and the large dam. Probably a half day trip. Wait until it rains to ensure the waterfall has water, and go in the week when all the Thais are working! Take your cossy and a towel so you can have a swim at the waterfall.

Ladprao is interesting if you want to test you bikes skills; I mean can you weave in and out of the traffic. Then you can take a right at Bangkapi and head back into town along Pattana and then Petchaburi roads. Park your bike at The Mall Bang Kapi and go swimming at the water park on top of the mall and/or shopping at the brilliant Ta Wan Na market next to the mall (brilliant for fashion if you are a Thai size). Swimming in the water park is free for two persons it you get The Mall loyalty card (100 baht for the first yearl 50 baht for each subsequent year). We go at least twice a week.

I have a small bike, but always up for a day trip.. PM me if interested... We just did a one day ride last sunday (1/2 way to Phetchaboon and back) met at a halfway meeting point easy for all of us to meet (Future Park Rangsit) and took it from there..

If you ever get a chance - hook up with Tony - heard nothing but great adventures from his rides! Hope to join one sometime!

Cheers!

Chris

you will love this route, coming from victory monument.

take rama 9 towards the airport, and go down to the access road parrallel to the motorway, after going over the bridge that crosses srinakarin...you will be parrallel with the outer ring raod.

take it all the way down till you get to the traffic light, which will be the ramkhamhaeng intersection. then go right.

go till the last 3 way intersection where you will be forced to go left or right - go right

then take your first left at the stoplight.

follow this road, it is a tree lined road in Nong chok...go till the end then go left, this will take you to chachoengsao, and on through to rangsit....the whole ride is pretty much in the countryside with green grass, trees and nice breezes. If you go at noon and the sun is shining, its beautiful.

you can also take this route to nakhon nayok/ongkarak/prachinburi.

If you ever get a chance - hook up with Tony - heard nothing but great adventures from his rides! Hope to join one sometime!

Cheers!

Chris

Cheers Chris,

You are too kind- too bad that the only time we met (at the Nonthaburi Bike Week last year) you had left your bike at home. (Though actually it's a wise decision to leave the bike home when you're drinking at these bike weeks :) - and I ended up riding home in heavy rain that evening).

My favorite one day blasts from Bangkok are to Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai, Rayong, and Chantaburi. All within 2-3 hours of Bangkok and blessed with stunning roads. The boys did a blast to Kanchanaburi yesterday and sounds like they enjoyed a great ride but unfortunately I couldn't join them.

This friday we're off on a ~3000km 5-day ride from Bangkok to Udon Thani, Loei, Petchabun, Nan, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sot, Tak and back to Bangkok! We'll average about 800km/day on some stunning roads! Gonna be epic!!! Detailed itinerary here: SSRIII Iron Butt Ride July 3-7th

Happy Trails!

Tony

Then I come back via the rama 9 bridge that bikes are technically not supposed to go on, but have done it a ton of times with no problems.
Rama 9 Bridge? The one that's on the expressway system with the toll booths? The one right next to Kasikorn Bank HQ?

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the neighbouring bridge, Saphan Wong Wan? This one basically joins Rama III to Suksawat Rd near Prapadang and Pu Chao Saming Rd in Samrong.

Bikes aren't allowed on here either but there're no toll booths so bikes will use it, as do I. It's a helluva shortcut for the Prapadang area.

Edited by RusticCharm

Then I come back via the rama 9 bridge that bikes are technically not supposed to go on, but have done it a ton of times with no problems.
Rama 9 Bridge? The one that's on the expressway system with the toll booths? The one right next to Kasikorn Bank HQ?

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the neighbouring bridge, Saphan Wong Wan? This one basically joins Rama III to Suksawat Rd near Prapadang and Pu Chao Saming Rd in Samrong.

Bikes aren't allowed on here either but there're no toll booths so bikes will use it, as do I. It's a helluva shortcut for the Prapadang area.

I must be. I thought it was rama9. Guess not. :)

Its the best view of bangkok ive ever seen. Anyone got a better one. If so tell me im gonna head there.

Hiya Tony,

Only the truth my friend! yeah,, that particluar bike weekend was a good choice to leave the wheels at home (over indulged!) unlike Saraburi Bike weekend..

lol..

I agree the Kanchanaburi run for a day trip is nice..So anyone up for a day trip on a weekend?

(Side note: PLEASE remember we have been trying to organize the ThaiVisa charity / benefit bike weekend in Kanchanaburi... For those that are not aware of the project, please PM me.. For those that have the link to the private forum - check out the updates...we are running short on time...Cheers!)

Chris

And yes, even my little CBR 929RR can be a pleasant machine to ride on the day trips! (lol)

I'm up for a blast anytime over next few weeks until i go back offshore. If we get some decent weather. I'm not going to be keeping up with the quick guys though as i am running in a new bike. only got 100km on the clock and need to get 1600 on asap so i can get 1st service and stage 1 sorted.

I dont find it fun riding in the rain anymore though...spent long enough in UK riding 12 months a year and now I am a sunshine only biker. My knuckles still ache after all the cold mornings in Edinburgh riding to work.

Sounds like we have a nice small group for a day trip.. Ok - we have done this before - so what day (Sat or Sun) preferably is best for evreyone and where are you - so we can get an idea of a central meeting point sometime...

Prefer a sat, but can probably do either. I stay just past On Nut and dont have a clue about getting around BKK by bike yet, but have map will travel! :)

Sounds like we have a nice small group for a day trip.. Ok - we have done this before - so what day (Sat or Sun) preferably is best for evreyone and where are you - so we can get an idea of a central meeting point sometime...

Prefer a sat, but can probably do either. I stay just past On Nut and dont have a clue about getting around BKK by bike yet, but have map will travel! :D

What I like about riding in Bkk, is when you start to make wrong turns, they just keep coming and before long you find yourself in a completely different part of town and its always interesting. Sometimes I head out to take a 3 or 4 hour ride & I'm gone all day :) . Mai Pben Rai!

09 night train from powerstation....I got sold on the idea of 0% finance over 2 years and by the time i found out i wasnt eligible due to only having non-imm O visa, I wanted the bike anyway, so used cash from the sale of my old house in sweden to pay cash for it. Real nice bike, but as i said in other post, wrong bike for BKK city center, especially when you have no clue where you are going and need to make rapid changes of lane...ho hum. I still have fun, just need to do more long trips and check out more of thailand, plus maybe head to some other countries for a wander.

Have done hardly any miles at all since i got it to be honest...had a buddy over for a while from scotland and we were too drunk the whole time he was here to get out and play. Now he has gone home, weather has been sh!t most days and i dont play in teh rain anymore if i can help it.

Saorsa what did you end up buying?

post-63405-1246440352_thumb.jpg

post-63405-1246440377_thumb.jpg

Edited by saorsa

09 night train from powerstation....I got sold on the idea of 0% finance over 2 years and by the time i found out i wasnt eligible due to only having non-imm O visa, I wanted the bike anyway, so used cash from the sale of my old house in sweden to pay cash for it. Real nice bike, but as i said in other post, wrong bike for BKK city center, especially when you have no clue where you are going and need to make rapid changes of lane...ho hum. I still have fun, just need to do more long trips and check out more of thailand, plus maybe head to some other countries for a wander.

Hey, congrats on the Night Train. That is one seriously nice bike. A Thai guy rode up on one at the bar I was watching MotoGp at the other night. Turned a lot of heads - an he was parked next to a row of Ducatis!

You'll get used to BKK traffic- it's actually pretty safe, I notice people let big bikes thru- especially loud ones :)

Thanks mate, it was always my fav from the big twin range. I did notice car drivers werent too bad for giving room when i wanted to get into a lane for turning off. Just trying to take note of high buildings for landmarks as at least then i am going in right general direction.

Hey, congrats on the Night Train. That is one seriously nice bike. A Thai guy rode up on one at the bar I was watching MotoGp at the other night. Turned a lot of heads - an he was parked next to a row of Ducatis!

You'll get used to BKK traffic- it's actually pretty safe, I notice people let big bikes thru- especially loud ones :)

Well- this is not short, but it is from city center :D

SSR III :D

Meet at Caltex Asoke Saturday July 4th, 6am. Coffee, pee, gas up, hit starter button. grin.gif

Bkk - Petchabun - Loei overnight and back. Round trip ~1,300kms.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....938354&z=8

Ride On! :)

Tony U da Man! can't wait to see the report when ur back!

(Side note: Gerry - when are we going to meet up about the TV Charity bike weekend?)

Anyone else interested - please PM me...

Chris

Head South 100 per cent least traffic the farther south you go. Best bet head north to Korat, Khon Kane, just be sure to make a little detour around the city center. :):D

Um, guessing you're in Udon Thani cuz what you're calling 'south' is actually north to those of us in the Big Mango :D:D:D