Living Expenses In Koh Samui: Your Advice Please!

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to move to Koh Samui in early 2010 and we are trying to do as much research as possible before we arrive. We would really appreciate any advice you have on living expenses in Koh Samui (so we know how much to budget).

1) How much should we budget for food per week? We eat mainly fruit and veg, with some dairy, wholegrains and white meat. We do need a lot of fruit and veg because we juice 5-6 times per day. Is 3,750 baht per week a reasonable amount to budget, or will food be cheaper than that?

2) Car - how much can we buy a cheap, second-hand 4WD for? Will $5,000 get us a car in reasonable mechanical condition? And is 500 baht per week enough to budget for petrol? We wouldn't be doing too much driving.

3) Housekeeper - how much is the average cost of having a full-time housekeeper to do your cooking, cleaning and laundry?

4) Spending - I know it is hard to give advice about this because everyone is different. We don't drink or smoke or anything, so our spending on leisure activities is pretty much confined to yoga classes, eating out in the occassional mid-priced restaurant, massages, buying DVDs and second hand books, that kind of thing. The kinds of things pretty chilled out people would do on holiday. Is 2,500 baht per week enough?

5) What is the cheapest comprehensive medical cover available in Thailand for foriegners? Can you buy it upfront for a year, or do you have to get it in smaller increments? Does anyone know how much it would cost a couple for a year?

6) Internet and mobile phones - how much does high speed, reliable internet cost per month (can be ADSL or wireless, whatever is easiest to get on the island)? how much does a cheap mobile phone cost per month on a cheap plan or pre-paid? won't really be used for making calls, just to call each other

7) Do vets cost about the same as in Australia, or are they cheaper? is there any kind of pet insurance available?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once! We have looked all over the internet trying to find the answers ourselves, but have come up with almost nothing!!

Thanks so much for your help and advice!!!!

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to move to Koh Samui in early 2010 and we are trying to do as much research as possible before we arrive. We would really appreciate any advice you have on living expenses in Koh Samui (so we know how much to budget).

1) How much should we budget for food per week? We eat mainly fruit and veg, with some dairy, wholegrains and white meat. We do need a lot of fruit and veg because we juice 5-6 times per day. Is 3,750 baht per week a reasonable amount to budget, or will food be cheaper than that?

550 Baht a day for the above should suffice, just remember toiletries etc

2) Car - how much can we buy a cheap, second-hand 4WD for? Will $5,000 get us a car in reasonable mechanical condition? And is 500 baht per week enough to budget for petrol? We wouldn't be doing too much driving.

2nd hand cars in Thailand are way overpriced...decent 4wd will be anything from 4000,000 baht upwards, otherwise you will just be buying someone elses problems...buy new if you can...3 year warranty and free servicing. Diesel is about 28 baht a litre now, so 15km=1 litre

3) Housekeeper - how much is the average cost of having a full-time housekeeper to do your cooking, cleaning and laundry?

Full time...how many hours a day will you expect them to work 9-5 or live in and will you provide them with accomodation and meals etc.average salary 300 Baht if not living in

4) Spending - I know it is hard to give advice about this because everyone is different. We don't drink or smoke or anything, so our spending on leisure activities is pretty much confined to yoga classes, eating out in the occassional mid-priced restaurant, massages, buying DVDs and second hand books, that kind of thing. The kinds of things pretty chilled out people would do on holiday. Is 2,500 baht per week enough?

Considering an oil massage is 350 Baht, thats 700 for the 2 of you that will be a big chunk gone already, dvds are 100 Baht but you can get them for 80 Baht if you buy a few..English written books in Thailand are at least 495 baht new 2nd hand normally about 250....you will be ok but it will be very tight and if you are looking for a relaxing life the last thing you want to worry about is money so a little more would be better

5) What is the cheapest comprehensive medical cover available in Thailand for foriegners? Can you buy it upfront for a year, or do you have to get it in smaller increments? Does anyone know how much it would cost a couple for a year?

Try BUPA...of course depends on age and medical history...be careful as some insurance will require you to pay the hospitol bill first and then claim your money back...not so good if you get a bill for 500,000 baht...Bupa pay up front

6) Internet and mobile phones - how much does high speed, reliable internet cost per month (can be ADSL or wireless, whatever is easiest to get on the island)? how much does a cheap mobile phone cost per month on a cheap plan or pre-paid? won't really be used for making calls, just to call each other

12call,dtac or true move are all pretty cheap for a pre pay sim, top up on line or get a card from7/11...depends where you want to call that would determine the best one.....

7) Do vets cost about the same as in Australia, or are they cheaper? is there any kind of pet insurance available?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once! We have looked all over the internet trying to find the answers ourselves, but have come up with almost nothing!!

Hi!

hey guyz,

I just suggest to you firstly to invest some time before move...especially in Samui Island !

I suggest to you, secondly to learn the basic thai laws...

I can just GUARANTEE to you that (especially) Samui is exactly what you can see in pictures...but no picture can give you the Safety related to the people living there (I don't mean Thai only !).

Without a direct experience over there, you will have 101% a lot of surprises...for your next future.

If you want make Thailand (especially Samui) your "mother-land", you have one choice only: Invest some time before moving...you will make your own opinion and maybe you'll follow your Idea.

Good Luck, God bless you.

Hi!

Strange you don't speak about rent. Seen your needs (quite expensive!!) you may do it with 50.000+rent (10k up) but very tight budget

I will just say that Samui is expensive by Thai standards so do not expect too much.

Yeah, that's a good point. Are there any other islands that are cheaper to live on than Samui? What is the cost of living like on Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Phuket or Pattaya?

We have spent one month on Samui and one month on Phuket and much prefer Samui, but if there was another island that would be cheaper to live on we would certainly look into it.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

I will just say that Samui is expensive by Thai standards so do not expect too much.

Yeah, that's a good point. Are there any other islands that are cheaper to live on than Samui? What is the cost of living like on Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Phuket or Pattaya?

We have spent one month on Samui and one month on Phuket and much prefer Samui, but if there was another island that would be cheaper to live on we would certainly look into it.

From reading your post, like others on here, I strongly recommend you come over & spend a bit of time, having a look at different options.Maybe travel around a bit & see what else attracts you. You can't just base your decision on cost factor.

Good luck.

PS If you need this moved to general forum for more input, please let me know.

No, that islands are not cheaper. Pattaya is. But that's a hectic city. You and your husband can live on Samui for 25.000/month, if you live very simple > Small accommodation without air con and no Western standard, no car, no housekeeper, buying food at the cheapest markets, cooking at home or have a fried rice at a local street restaurant, no yoga classes or whatever, insurance costs depends on your age, costs about 25.000/person/year for limited coverage, better not have a major health problem with that on Samui. Visa?

Life on the mainland would be cheaper.

I would focus on Ko Phangan, with your background and ideas ;-)

And anyway as said before, just come to this islands for a month or two to check it out. Have a look on my web page too ;-)

Nick001:

A month is a long time and you don't know the answers to your questions in that time?

I agree that you need to come BACK and start over. Koh Phangan or Koh Tao sounds more up your alley if you just want to sit around and eat lotus. And you might want to define, for yourself, what the point is in coming here. "Cheaper" doesn't always mean "better."

You might consider becoming a monk and a nun; sounds like you are almost there anyway. Live in a wat, search for enlightenment and see the inner world. That would be your best, cheapest bet.

you'll live very comfortably with 25000 per month, life is very cheap in thailand.

a house with furniture, a single bedroom, hot shower, television, aircon in the bedroom, fridge, gaz, sofa is around 7000/month, 9000/month if you want double bedroom.

what's the rest? if yo use aircon just to sleep, the bill should be 1500 for electric if you pay the governement price 3.7 baht per unit(check this with your owner before taking the house); water(don't cook with it), cable tv is included in the monthly rent usually(again check this).

bottle of water of 20 liters is 15 baht.

so you still have around 15000 just for your food, drinks and gasoline.

i talked about this with one of my customer, a retired man living with his girlfriend, he spends 18000 per month, he's renting a home with a communal swimming pool in maenam for 5000 baht.

Hi Nick 001

Me and my boyfriend have recently moved to Samui. We have been here for 3 and a half weeks and are staying in Lamai. When we arrived we checked into a cheap hotel and looked around at the many rented properties (it is much better to do this in my opinion as there is not much choice online and you can speak to the landlords about what is included better than what websites tell you). Within a week we had found a nice western style house very close to the centre of Lamai for 10,000 per month. This as someone else has already said includes cable. We also had a hot shower, western style bathroom, kitchen units, a bed, tv, wardrobe and a table and chairs. We could have chosen to rent a similarly nice property for 7,000 baht a month close to the temple in Lamai but as we don't drive this is the best option for us.

Where we live there is a thai food market right next door and the new tescos is also being built a 2 minute walk away. If you buy food from stalls, the food courts near the boxing ring or from the food market you can live very cheaply. A big box of fruit and veg from the food market costs under 100baht, fruit shakes cost 20baht (and are absolutely gorgeous), fish, chicken etc. is also a lot less than you would pay in the Western World. The food courts/stalls selling hot meals are also cheap with a huge bowl of pasta being around 50baht, rice 30baht, kebabs 20baht, etc. etc. Water is also very cheap especially if you buy in the 5ltr bottle sizes.

Tescos is in my opinion also ok. There are things in there more expensive than what you can get at markets but for example beef mince is 40 baht a pack, french sticks 25baht, cheese (a real luxury) is round about the same price as it is in England for a decent sized block 170baht. A good thing about there is that the price is the same for everybody and not higher for farrang. If you don't drink or smoke I dont think it will be too hard for you to live cheaply but well food and rent wise.

There is a bookshop (island books) close to us that sells second hand books at fair prices. I bought a triple story Shaun Hutson last week for 140baht and there are lots of bargains to be had if you dont buy new.

We have our internet with TOT. It is wireless and costs 700baht per month. I have heard different stories about their service though, sometimes it can take up to a month for them to fit it in for you and we also needed our landladys permission. The speed is very good though and is a lot better than what we paid for in the UK.

I bought a one to call sim when I came over here and topped up 300baht with it. I still have quite a bit of it left. Calling and texting other Thai sims is cheap in Thailand.

I can't help you with the other questions and most of my answers are based on living in Lamai, but I hope this helps a bit! Laura

Me and my boyfriend have recently moved to Samui. We have been here for 3 and a half weeks and are staying in Lamai. When we arrived we checked into a cheap hotel and looked around at the many rented properties (it is much better to do this in my opinion as there is not much choice online and you can speak to the landlords about what is included better than what websites tell you). Within a week we had found a nice western style house very close to the centre of Lamai for 10,000 per month. This as someone else has already said includes cable. We also had a hot shower, western style bathroom, kitchen units, a bed, tv, wardrobe and a table and chairs. We could have chosen to rent a similarly nice property for 7,000 baht a month close to the temple in Lamai but as we don't drive this is the best option for us.

That is really very cheap even adding utilities cost, when i went around in lamai last winter i only found place on the Lamai beach road with bar at the bottom or a bungalow with a nice asbestos roof or place up in the hill...

I ended up paying 25000 for a new bungalow all included, pool, cleaning, wifi...

I should check again this winter....

That is really very cheap even adding utilities cost, when i went around in lamai last winter i only found place on the Lamai beach road with bar at the bottom or a bungalow with a nice asbestos roof or place up in the hill...

I ended up paying 25000 for a new bungalow all included, pool, cleaning, wifi...

I should check again this winter....

There are two places to rent either side of our place. They are two bedroomed properties and look absolutely gorgeous from the outside. Its the same landlady that we have and when we came to look around I think she wanted 14,000 a month for them which is also really good! We chose the one bedroomed property but if you wanted somewhere very central in Lamai right next to the Tescos that is being built they are great properties. The other properties are rented by other Farrang, some of whom have been here for 3 years+ so its definitely worth checking out if you wanted to find somewhere cheaper. If you want more details send me a message and I will send you the phone number.

Laura

I welcome you to stay at Koh Samui. I myself have been here for 5 years now, I live with a Thai wife and I rent a house for 12.000 a month incl. elektrik. We have 2 motorbikes and we like to go out sometimes to eat and drink. After the first year, when I had to make som investments for the long time stayment, we spend about 800.000 bath for 1 year, This inkludes everything and 1-2 times traveling to other plases in the south-east Asia area. I dont turn the coin, but I am neither a big spender.

There are two places to rent either side of our place. They are two bedroomed properties and look absolutely gorgeous from the outside. Its the same landlady that we have and when we came to look around I think she wanted 14,000 a month for them which is also really good! We chose the one bedroomed property but if you wanted somewhere very central in Lamai right next to the Tescos that is being built they are great properties. The other properties are rented by other Farrang, some of whom have been here for 3 years+ so its definitely worth checking out if you wanted to find somewhere cheaper. If you want more details send me a message and I will send you the phone number.

Laura

Close to Tesco (i barely know when they are building it) is not lamai center, it is very very far from Lamai beach, with a ring road very noisy and dangerous..

In an island i would like to get at least a place at max 5 minutes walk from the beach....the south part also is better....every place ON the beach unfortunaltely is out of reach.

But i think going around asking prices in december was not the best moment. Now in low season and no tourist, price must be down heavily.

you'll live very comfortably with 25000 per month, life is very cheap in thailand.

In Thailand Maybe. In Samui I am not so sure.

The way the OP was speaking I think no way.

Well, the minimum for a good breakfast/dinner is 500b per day ...

In Thailand Maybe. In Samui I am not so sure.

The way the OP was speaking I think no way.

agree...not on Samui...unless you win some great prizes from the timeshare sales people! :) ...or get a stay in the hospital on your insurance from all all the accidents, shootings, etc that happen here.

How many foreigners are shot?

food cost is more like 150 baht per day in here, even cheaper if you cook at home.

a pizza in a restaurant is around 180 baht, i do pizza myself at home, a pizza with 100G of mozzarella cheese costs me 50 bath.

i suggest koh chang,,just as beautifull as samui,,far less expensive,,,also close to thai / cambodian border hence easier visa run for u to do,,it takes an 2 hs from koh chang to cambo border for ur stamp....koh chang any day of the week..

food cost is more like 150 baht per day in here, even cheaper if you cook at home.

a pizza in a restaurant is around 180 baht, i do pizza myself at home, a pizza with 100G of mozzarella cheese costs me 50 bath.

A full breakfast is 150/200 baht.

A basic pizza in Lamai start at 350 up.....(450 at Il Tempio).....beer extra. I know it is more expensive than in Italy but the italian on the island say they have to live, rent expensive, etc, etc

I suppose soon everybody will have to cut prices, Samui is simply too expensive.....

and thai people are paid nearly zero....

Laura

Close to Tesco (i barely know when they are building it) is not lamai center, it is very very far from Lamai beach, with a ring road very noisy and dangerous..

In an island i would like to get at least a place at max 5 minutes walk from the beach....the south part also is better....every place ON the beach unfortunaltely is out of reach.

But i think going around asking prices in december was not the best moment. Now in low season and no tourist, price must be down heavily.

Hmm it is not very very far from Lamai beach it is under a 10 minute walk and you do not hear any noise from the road at all. Fair enough though if it is a beach property you want unfortunately I cannot help.

Lamai Boomerang do the best pizzas in town with prices starting at 180baht, quite a lot cheaper than the 350 you suggest and also cooked by an Italian chef. I have never had a better pizza!

I also know of a few places that do a full english breakfast for 99baht, and that includes the whole lot! Samui is not too expensive if you know where to go.

I am slightly curious about the visa options one can use to 'move to Samui'...

Yes, salient comment.

To the original poster: I am confused. You say you were in Samui and Phuket for a month each, yet you don't know how much you should budget for food and spending? You don't know how much a used car costs and apparently are unaware of petrol costs as well. You don't even know how much a mobile phone costs.

You say: "We have looked all over the internet trying to find the answers ourselves, but have come up with almost nothing!!"

What were you doing in Samui for a month that you were unable to even understand how much food costs? I'm guessing you were not in an exclusive 5-star resort, since scrimping seems a fundamental for you, and I assume you were not spending the month in the Samui District Prison.

So how can you spend a month here and not think, "Look at all those phone shops, wonder how much the phones are?" What did you eat? I mean a month of eating would give you a pretty grounded idea of food costs.

What gives?