Tourist Visa To Non Imm(marriage)

I am on a Tourist Visa at the moment. Having recently got married and hoping to get a Nom Imm 'O'. I qualify on the criteria eg money in bank etc. I would appreciate some clarification for the procedure.

Prior to getting married I spoke to both the Main Bangkok Immigration and my local regional immigration office. I made sure they understood that I had a Tourist Visa; my main concern at the time is whether I had to leave the country to get another type of visa. They both told me that I should go to my local immigration office, have an interview etc to change from Tourist to Nom Imm. I rang my local office yesterday to get the wheels in motion and they told me that I have to go for an interview at Bangkok.

Not sure what to think!

You can change your current permission to stay to a Non Imm Visa at immigration if.....

You qualify for a 12 month extension and providing you have at least 21 days left on your current stay.

However there have been reports by members that their Immigration Office would not do it and they were sent to Bangkok.

Have a look here http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=service# Click on Change Visa

The change of Visa is 2,000 Baht and the 12 month extension is 1,900 Baht.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks 'Lite Beer'.

I've just got the marriage photos and had to get an extension to my Tourist visa as I don't know when I can go to Bangkok and want to have the 21 days remaining.

I did check out the 'Change Visa' link as you kindly showed. I still want to talk to someone as websites have a habit of not getting updated(as per recent trip to Kuala Lumpur Thai Consulate) and it's a bit of a hike to Bangkok from where I live. Went to Chiang Mai immigration a few days ago and they directed me to the main number at Bangkok (02287 3101 - 10 lines) - this is an automated service and didn't come close to offering anything near what I needed (please put me right if I misunderstand the options as the English voice wasn't good or clear) They also don't have an actual person or 'general enquiries' option. The number is also quoted on the 'Change Visa' but gives an extension 2237 which I cannot reach. Chiang Mai immigration were lauding the 'Help' available by giving '1178' - I've tried the number on several occasions and no answer and so the phone company cuts the call.

I would be grateful for clarification about the procedure to get a 1 year Non Imm 'O' from this point.

As far as I can tell, I change my visa at Bkk to Non Imm taking all the documents as outlined in 'Change Visa'. How long does that give me and does the Non Imm come with a suffix? I can go to BKK and submit and wait whilst they process the same day, so the immigration website says. They don't mention anything about proving the financial aspects for marriage - do I then go to my regional immigration office(Chiang Mai) and prove it there? How about the so called 'Interview' to prove the marriage is kosher? At the point I should get a 1 year Non Imm 'O' - fingers crossed!