Could Someone Please Translate?

billymalky

น่ารักดี= so lovely

อิอิ= lol

อิอิ= could be laugh or smile, or just like eeeeeee (a sign of excitement)

Na Rak Sii = Very cute

Tiger girl sweet talking you right?? :)

It is NARAK DEE, not NARAK SII, but your translation is correct.

น่ารัก means 'cute' (in the positive sense, not in the 'Don't you try to be cute with me' sense) or sometimes 'sweet' (not as in sugar but as in 'doing something sweet for somebody else') and can mean 'lovely' although I find 'lovely' in English tends to be a slightly stronger word.

อิอิ = 'i, i' the sound of giggling (like 'hi hi' in English).

So I'd translate it into something like 'how cute, hihi' or 'aw, that's cute, hihi'.

I once read that adding ดี to an adjective was similar to how in English we add the word 'nice' as in 'It's nice and warm today'.

I'd go along with that, withnail. It might also be used sarcastically, eg. ร้อนดีจังเลย or อึมมม...แพงดีนะ.

As for sk1max coming up with "na rak sii", if the original said น่ารักดิ then it would been roughly equivalent to the effect of น่ารักสิ, ie. ดิ adds an emphatic quality (non-formal spoken Thai).

Agree with withnail and meadish here -- ดี isn't intensifying; it's mildly the opposite. I sometimes equate it with "pretty" in English (or at least my variety of it).

อร่อยมาก "that's delicious"

อร่อย "that's good"

อร่อยดี "that's pretty good"

สวยดี is less of a compliment than สวย, though "pretty beautiful" obviously doesn't work in English. Sometimes it just depends on the context, what the idiomatic equivalent is.

For น่ารักดี, I think "pretty cute" is a good equivalent, though. So I'd translate น่ารักดี อิอิ as like "Pretty cute.. hehe" -- unless the specific context dictated something slightly different in tone.

แพงดี is an interesting case. It *is* intensifying it, I think, in a slightly sarcastic way. Anybody have a good equivalent?

Agree with withnail and meadish here -- ดี isn't intensifying; it's mildly the opposite. I sometimes equate it with "pretty" in English (or at least my variety of it).

อร่อยมาก "that's delicious"

อร่อย "that's good"

อร่อยดี "that's pretty good"

สวยดี is less of a compliment than สวย, though "pretty beautiful" obviously doesn't work in English. Sometimes it just depends on the context, what the idiomatic equivalent is.

For น่ารักดี, I think "pretty cute" is a good equivalent, though. So I'd translate น่ารักดี อิอิ as like "Pretty cute.. hehe" -- unless the specific context dictated something slightly different in tone.

แพงดี is an interesting case. It *is* intensifying it, I think, in a slightly sarcastic way. Anybody have a good equivalent?

ok, perhaps we can divide cases up:

1) ดี modifies an adjective that has an intrinsic positive connotation (น่ารัก, เพราะ)

2) ดี modifies an adjective that has no intrinsic positive or negative connotation (กลม, เล็ก)

3) ดี modifies an adjective that has an intrinsic negative connotation (แพง, โหด)

this might make it easier to nut out the effect of adding ดี