Connect 4 Tournament?

fxm87

Can anyone offer advice on putting together a Connect Four Tournament in Pattaya? It's not quite chess, maybe not even checkers, but I think it might be fun to find out who the best players are. I did a web search but other than a few computer science pages I don't find much. I'm guessing it could held in a single day. Some general questions:

What might be a good time of the year? I think maybe low-season would be good as workers are maybe not so busy. And what might be a good day of the week? Some competitors might have weekend jobs.

I suspect some prize money would need to be on offer to attract the top competitors but how much? 2K? 5K? 10K? 40K? Would even a modest entrance fee keep Thais from entering? And will anyone show up... even if it was free!?

Are there any good venues for such an event? Location? Atmosphere? Does Pattaya have any kind of community center? (One time I saw a street sign on 2nd road indicating the existence of a "Public Library" but good luck finding it.) Might a hotel/restaurant/bar donate some space?

Finally, are such tournaments legal in Thailand? (Megabreak has its pool tournaments, etc.)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by fxm87

Can anyone offer advice on putting together a Connect Four Tournament in Pattaya? It's not quite chess, maybe not even checkers, but I think it might be fun to find out who the best players are. I did a web search but other than a few computer science pages I don't find much. I'm guessing it could held in a single day. Some general questions:

What might be a good time of the year?  I think maybe low-season would be good as workers are maybe not so busy. And what might be a good day of the week? Some competitors might have weekend jobs.

I suspect some prize money would need to be on offer to attract the top competitors but how much? 2K? 5K? 10K? 40K? Would even a modest entrance fee keep Thais from entering? And will anyone show up... even if it was free!?

Are there any good venues for such an event? Location? Atmosphere? Does Pattaya have any kind of community center? (One time I saw a street sign on 2nd road indicating the existence of a "Public Library" but good luck finding it.) Might a hotel/restaurant/bar donate some space?

Finally, are such tournaments legal in Thailand? (Megabreak has its pool tournaments, etc.)

Thanks for any advice!

Gambling except for the official lottery is illegal in the kingdom :o

There is a method in that game, that if played to, you can never lose. And as i am privvy to it, put me down for as many games as you like  :o

I was aware that Connect 4 had been solved: "With perfect play, the first player can force a win by starting in the middle column." But I was under the impression that "perfect play" was a massive set of rules. (So we'd have to prohibit any any helping devices, including mobile phones.) But if you've got a simpler method it could be big news, at least to fans of Connect 4.

And that brings up another question: would 2 really good players always end up in a draw (not losing != winning)? If so, how does a tournament deal with that?

Wikipedia

Expert Play

Edited by fxm87