Govt Invests Bt900 Million To Upgrade Koh Samui Infrastructure

It all seems to be happing now with new drains etc,but dont think we will be getting tarmac roads because they are putting down concrete on the new parts of roads with the new drains in,would love to see tarmac all round the island like in nathon,but i can dream!but i think they are trying.

It all seems to be happing now with new drains etc,but dont think we will be getting tarmac roads because they are putting down concrete on the new parts of roads with the new drains in,would love to see tarmac all round the island like in nathon,but i can dream!but i think they are trying.

agree.

agree.

I think you will find, that the base is concrete, with asphalt on top.

The fact is, looking at the way things go here, the money will be used to contract inferior construction techniques, using substandard materials by unskilled workmen doing shoddy work. Just having money to throw at the problem is insufficient. The drainage problem was "addressed" in Lamai by putting in drains where the water never gathered during the monsoon, with grating that went the wrong direction (parallel with motorcycle tires) then changed and re-welded into a mess that fails intermittently. The concrete and asphalt are poorly constructed leaving dangerous chinks and weak spots that develop into larger problems, which are "fixed" by more money to slap-dab more poor quality work and materials on top.

Until some competent engineers come in with superior methods of construction and materials, "making things better" regarding infrastructure is more of the same sorry joke.

The Finance Ministry has approved a budget of almost Bt900 million for the Highways Department to undertake the construction and maintenance of three main roads on Koh Samui.

The investment is part of the government's Bt1.56-trillion stimulus package.

The ministry will gradually provide the budget to the project from next year through 2013.

The project is divided into six parts: road improvement (Bt615 million), flood prevention (Bt231 million), road expansion (Bt40 million),installation of traffic signs (Bt4 million), installation of lighting posts (Bt4 million) and installation of roadside barriers (Bt2 million).

continued at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/04...ss_30107063.phpnationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 10/07/09

The Finance Ministry has approved a budget of almost Bt900 million for the Highways Department to undertake the construction and maintenance of three main roads on Koh Samui.

The investment is part of the government's Bt1.56-trillion stimulus package.

The ministry will gradually provide the budget to the project from next year through 2013.

The project is divided into six parts: road improvement (Bt615 million), flood prevention (Bt231 million), road expansion (Bt40 million),installation of traffic signs (Bt4 million), installation of lighting posts (Bt4 million) and installation of roadside barriers (Bt2 million).

continued at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/04...ss_30107063.phpnationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 10/07/09

the "stimulus" does not start until next year? :)

Samui convention centre in focus again

Published: 4/07/2009 at 12:00 AM Bangkok Post

Newspaper section: BusinessSURAT THANI : The government will revive a long-standing plan to create an international convention centre on Koh Samui to improve its tourism appeal.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij said a 50-rai public plot on Bophut beach was an ideal spot, given the ocean views and proximity to Samui airport.

He said the project could be government-funded or structured as a public-private partnership.

But the site is contentious as land officials evidently issued documents for 10 rai of public land to private individuals. The documents were resold three times and foreign investors are now building a resort. The Treasury Department has filed suit to revoke the documents.

Samui convention centre in focus again

Published: 4/07/2009 at 12:00 AM Bangkok Post

Newspaper section: BusinessSURAT THANI : The government will revive a long-standing plan to create an international convention centre on Koh Samui to improve its tourism appeal.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij said a 50-rai public plot on Bophut beach was an ideal spot, given the ocean views and proximity to Samui airport.

He said the project could be government-funded or structured as a public-private partnership.

But the site is contentious as land officials evidently issued documents for 10 rai of public land to private individuals. The documents were resold three times and foreign investors are now building a resort. The Treasury Department has filed suit to revoke the documents.

:) I'm sure Dr Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth (who owns 92.31% of Bangkok Airways' shares) has done a lot of promotion behind the velvet curtains of the ministries of Finance, Infrastructure and Tourism lately...

Good for him (as long as the monopoly continues)...good for Samui I suppose.

But, not good for tranquility :D

LaoPo