Honest Answers Needed On Renting Somewhere Long Term Ish

Looking to stay in Samui for minimum 6 months towards the end of the year....

spending hours looking online at potential places...... most of the ones i really like are around 30,000 Bht a month and my budget is 20,000 ...

now i bet if i emailed them asking to have thier place for 20,000 they would probably tell me no chance....... but you think if i waited till i get out to samui and liturally turned up offering them 20,000 a month perhaps paying 6 months up front ..... you think i would be in with a shout ???

what you guys honest opinion ?? 

17 :) views of your post,.....no replies as yet. If you would have said "Answers needed" instead of "Honest answers needed" a few of Thaivisa's lurking sharks(i mean estate agents) would have closed in by now ,,,...ha ha.. p.s.i think koh samuii is getting pricier by the hour!! but with the financial crisis at full flow there should be a bargain somewhere(sorry estate agents,i know your'r only doing your job)

Edited by dee123

spending hours looking online at potential places...... most of the ones i really like are around 30,000 Bht a month and my budget is 20,000 ...

now i bet if i emailed them asking to have thier place for 20,000 they would probably tell me no chance....... but you think if i waited till i get out to samui and liturally turned up offering them 20,000 a month perhaps paying 6 months up front ..... you think i would be in with a shout ???

I think you want a luxury place for those prices . There are plenty of normal ones available and i allways stay at 1 bedroom bungalows at 8000 tot 10000 for 1 month . Tell us your demands and then we can help . I can give you anything from 4k upto 200k but i never been inside the 200k ones , those are the very luxury online ones.

Samui is very diverse, where on Samui do you want to stay?

If undecided, just stay in a hotel for a few days and check the different places out. Long term rentals are easy to get, and make sure you bargain with them.

FWIW, when I was looking for a place 2 years ago my budget was about 25k/month. I based that on what I had been paying back home. I booked my first month in a bungalow for 15k/month while I looked for a long term place. A friend showed me several in the 10k range - and I took one, just 50m walk to the beach. I'd guess that the offers you see on the Internet have higher prices than what you can find just by looking around.

There is your problem. You just need to go there first, stay in a cheap and comfortbale place such as Mae Nam Resort (right on the beach) for a week and drive around the island looking arounbd for the place you want in the location you want (I always liked to stay at Baan Baithong in the old Monkey Theatre road as everything you need is nearby while staying in a nice and quiet place) for just 10,000 THB which can be cheaper if you stay longer indeed and pay up front to show you're not full of it!

I would personally never rent sight unseen, esp on Samui, so rent a resort for a week, then when you arrive rent a car/bike & drive around looking for for rent signs. Like you say, having someone there with the money in their hand will get you a better deal imo.

FWIW, when I was looking for a place 2 years ago my budget was about 25k/month. I based that on what I had been paying back home. I booked my first month in a bungalow for 15k/month while I looked for a long term place. A friend showed me several in the 10k range - and I took one, just 50m walk to the beach. I'd guess that the offers you see on the Internet have higher prices than what you can find just by looking around.

For a bungalow in the 10k range i would look at the roof before asking the price.

You can find roof with rotten asbestos, rotten asbestor painted brith green and new asbestos painted green.

Probably the last case is acceptable (not for kids) but i like roof with classic tiles......

Remember we are talking about long term....

For a bungalow in the 10k range i would look at the roof before asking the price.

You can find roof with rotten asbestos, rotten asbestor painted brith green and new asbestos painted green.

Probably the last case is acceptable (not for kids) but i like roof with classic tiles......

I was there for one year, no problems. If you know Bangrak, it's one of those places next to that new Indian restaurant which used to be Sloaney's. The Landlords were really sweet as well.

btw - I'm living in a new resort (10 months old) close to Fisherman's Village and only paying 10k/month. Prices aren't what they used to be.

I was there for one year, no problems. If you know Bangrak, it's one of those places next to that new Indian restaurant which used to be Sloaney's. The Landlords were really sweet as well.

btw - I'm living in a new resort (10 months old) close to Fisherman's Village and only paying 10k/month. Prices aren't what they used to be.

uhm....asbestos kill in 10-15 years......no cure for that cancer, HIV is much much better.... :D

yes, price must be down, crisis and too many new rooms are a very bad combinations for renting :)

Going down in the range of 10k i can rent yearly.....

uhm....asbestos kill in 10-15 years......no cure for that cancer, HIV is much much better.... :D

yes, price must be down, crisis and too many new rooms are a very bad combinations for renting :)

Now , where did you get that info from ?? I live 10km from 1 of the main factories where they used to make everything in asbestos (Eternit). Whole generations lived with it , and yes i've nown people die from it also ( my parents know more then myself because asbastos is banned in europe long time ago ) . I tell you something about asbestos . Asbestos is not harmfull when contained in for exemple roof plates . It is only when you cut it into pieces then the fibre comes out and that is potentially dangerous . You have 2 types of asbestos and the most dangerous one is long gone , all the newer bungalow may have asbestos roof but it is the less dangerous ones. Like i said , do not dismatle it and you are fine . Most roof plates now , they say it is asbastos but actually it isn't they only look the same .

I sometimes stay in Lamai in a bungalow , less then 3 years old for 8000 baht a month . That is not renting on a yearly base but on a monthly base . electric is settled with the electric company as you have an actual meter and box at your door . That is 1 bedroom , airconditioning , tv , kitchen etc all in . There are plenty of places to find at less then 15k a month and at 12 to 15k you do have a swimming pool with it . Forget all the internet pricing but go there yourself and ask around at people who stay there longer or more then you. Check in a room for 3 or 4 nights and by then you will have found 1 for sure . Just go out of town for 500m or 1k . Want to stay straight in the middle of town , well yes you pay hotelpricing , go out of town and there are many many many.

Now , where did you get that info from ?? I live 10km from 1 of the main factories where they used to make everything in asbestos (Eternit). Whole generations lived with it , and yes i've nown people die from it also ( my parents know more then myself because asbastos is banned in europe long time ago ) . I tell you something about asbestos . Asbestos is not harmfull when contained in for exemple roof plates . It is only when you cut it into pieces then the fibre comes out and that is potentially dangerous . You have 2 types of asbestos and the most dangerous one is long gone , all the newer bungalow may have asbestos roof but it is the less dangerous ones. Like i said , do not dismatle it and you are fine . Most roof plates now , they say it is asbastos but actually it isn't they only look the same .

I sometimes stay in Lamai in a bungalow , less then 3 years old for 8000 baht a month . That is not renting on a yearly base but on a monthly base . electric is settled with the electric company as you have an actual meter and box at your door . That is 1 bedroom , airconditioning , tv , kitchen etc all in . There are plenty of places to find at less then 15k a month and at 12 to 15k you do have a swimming pool with it . Forget all the internet pricing but go there yourself and ask around at people who stay there longer or more then you. Check in a room for 3 or 4 nights and by then you will have found 1 for sure . Just go out of town for 500m or 1k . Want to stay straight in the middle of town , well yes you pay hotelpricing , go out of town and there are many many many.

Seems every time i bring this subject up on here i get the same answer ie come to the island then start looking for places .... looks like that is what i will do.... must admit i am one of those people who likes to plan everything meticulously but i will take the advice on this one....

thanks for the help anyways

Seems every time i bring this subject up on here i get the same answer ie come to the island then start looking for places .... looks like that is what i will do.... must admit i am one of those people who likes to plan everything meticulously but i will take the advice on this one....

thanks for the help anyways

It is good advice. One thing I haven't seen mentioned here that I've seen before is someone books a place online and when they get here it's right next to a construction site. Or I knew of a guy who had booked a room at Maya Buri on the Ghost Road and when he got there the road had been ripped up for repairs.

It is without question better to come here first, book a room for a couple of days and go out and look. Plenty of options and much better to negotiate an improved price face to face. Happy hunting.

I tell you something about asbestos . Asbestos is not harmfull when contained in for exemple roof plates . It is only when you cut it into pieces then the fibre comes out and that is potentially dangerous.

I tell you something about Thailand - it pays to open your eyes and forget what you've "learned" back home.

What do you think happens to the asbestos roof tiles when they arrive at the new roof site?

First they drill a hole in each tile in order to attach it with a J-bolt to the roof beam.

Next they angle-grind (cannot cut easily - too brittle) the corner tiles in order to get them to fit neatly.

Then (if you are lucky) workers sweep the dust into the nearest crevice, usually the floor boards.

Lastly, all the leftover asbestos offcuts get dumped on or near site, usually as road filler(!).

All this done without protection from or containment of the deadly asbestos fibers cloud.

You have 2 types of asbestos and the most dangerous one is long gone

No, it's not gone, and the deadly fibers will hang around for a long time.

It's not the asbestos tiles on a roof that should worry anyone looking for long-term accommodation - it's the leftovers and the invisible asbestos fiber dust laying around for years that will do the deadly damage to the lungs.

Asbestos roof = asbestos environment. This is the reality in Thailand.

I tell you something about asbestos . Asbestos is not harmfull when contained in for exemple roof plates . It is only when you cut it into pieces then the fibre comes out and that is potentially dangerous.

I tell you something about Thailand - it pays to open your eyes and forget what you've "learned" back home.

What do you think happens to the asbestos roof tiles when they arrive at the new roof site?

First they drill a hole in each tile in order to attach it with a J-bolt to the roof beam.

Next they angle-grind (cannot cut easily - too brittle) the corner tiles in order to get them to fit neatly.

Then (if you are lucky) workers sweep the dust into the nearest crevice, usually the floor boards.

Lastly, all the leftover asbestos offcuts get dumped on or near site, usually as road filler(!).

All this done without protection from or containment of the deadly asbestos fibers cloud.

You have 2 types of asbestos and the most dangerous one is long gone

No, it's not gone, and the deadly fibers will hang around for a long time.

It's not the asbestos tiles on a roof that should worry anyone looking for long-term accommodation - it's the leftovers and the invisible asbestos fiber dust laying around for years that will do the deadly damage to the lungs.

Asbestos roof = asbestos environment. This is the reality in Thailand.

Not sure how my thread turned itself in to an Asbestos debate but just so happens for a living here in UK i put up ceilings so have a bit of knowledge on the subject....

i have to agree with the comment that basically any health and safety regulations you have learned you can basically forget when you go to Thailand... iv seen plenty of things in the years i been coming that would probably get you arrested back home

So if you told me they were still using the dangerous type asbestos then that would not really suprise me that much