Used Car Warranties?

onnut

Do any of you know about the kind of used car warranties available when buying from a used car dealer here? I am talking about a standard car (something like a Vios or Accord) not a BMW or Benz. :)

I am thinking of buying and just wanted to know if any of you have come across any used car dealers that offer something like a 12 month warranty.

Any help or information would be great.

Thanks guys.

If you buy from the approved used car dealers of the big manufacturers such as ToyotaSure they provide a 1 year warranty with used cars that seems to be pretty close to a manufacturers warranty. The prices aren't really much higher either. I bought a18 month old Fortuner through ToyotaSure to get the warranty and it was cheaper than comparable cars at tents and other dealers which offered negligible warranties

Usually every car has a 3 year warrantie from new. So if the used car is just a year or two old, they can offer a warrantie, because it still covered from new until 3 years. Usually cars not get major problems in the first 5 year from new. But 10 year or older cars under 200'000 Baht, no dealer can offer any guarrantie. Many dealers also don't offer guarrantee because the cars they sell not belongs to them, like, the cars parked on the dealers lot, belongs to some one else or by finance companies.

If you get a tent dealer warranty, how on earth are you going to make them honor it?

Hard enough with new Honda and Toyota, not to mention Ford.

Anyone remember the CRV owner who smashed up her 1 year old car in front of the Honda dealer? it was on tv.

Or the 1 year old Ford pickup being towed around BKK by a tractor? made headlines too.

Most car dealers and all of the tent car sellers will give you the red tail light warranty. After you purchase the car and drive it off the lot your car is in warranty as long as the dealer

can see your red tail lights. :)

Just like any other 2nd hand car sales men in the world then?

Got good service and support from our lokal Chevrolet dealer yesterday, had a car I will buy in for a check up, they fixed 2 small problems on warranty while we waited and Booked us in for fixing a small oil leak as soon as they could get the parts needed, thats next week, and also on warranty on this 1 year old car.

Tommy

Most car dealers and all of the tent car sellers will give you the red tail light warranty. After you purchase the car and drive it off the lot your car is in warranty as long as the dealer

can see your red tail lights. :)

Just like any other 2nd hand car sales men in the world then?

Got good service and support from our lokal Chevrolet dealer yesterday, had a car I will buy in for a check up, they fixed 2 small problems on warranty while we waited and Booked us in for fixing a small oil leak as soon as they could get the parts needed, thats next week, and also on warranty on this 1 year old car.

Tommy

It's normally. New car warrantie is covered by the manufactorer (it's not the dealer who give you a warrantie). Anyway, Used cars are used, therfore no warranty and lower price. If you buy a Used TV or DVD Player in a Pond Shop, there is no warrantie either. If you buy a 10 year old house there is no warranty either, if any leaks or cracks or whatever happen. But a 10 year old house is maybe now even more expensive as it was new 10 years ago. Does this make sense?

Usually every car has a 3 year warrantie from new. So if the used car is just a year or two old, they can offer a warrantie, because it still covered from new until 3 years. Usually cars not get major problems in the first 5 year from new. But 10 year or older cars under 200'000 Baht, no dealer can offer any guarrantie. Many dealers also don't offer guarrantee because the cars they sell not belongs to them, like, the cars parked on the dealers lot, belongs to some one else or by finance companies.

Are you sure in the small print it says that the warranty is transferable? I have my suspicions.

Regards Bojo

Are you sure in the small print it says that the warranty is transferable? I have my suspicions.

Regards Bojo

No, i'm not sure, but i'll check this out and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3-year/100.000Km warranties are transferable, its not the dealers that pay for the jobs its (in our case) Chevrolet, just as someone said in this post.

Just had my Chevrolet in for a warranty job, no hassles and no bills.

Tommy

The 3-year/100.000Km warranties are transferable, its not the dealers that pay for the jobs its (in our case) Chevrolet, just as someone said in this post.

Tommy

I think the OP was talking about USED CAR warranties...not the 3x100k warranty that comes with a new car.

The web link I supplied to asiacarewarranty.com is specifically for used cars and to obtain a warranty beyond the initial 3x100k one that is issued as standard with a new car in Thailand.

Reading the Asiacare website, it allows for vehicles up to 10 years old and with 180k on the clock.

My understanding is that there is the original maufacturer's warranty, which can sometimes be extended for an additional payment, and then alternative second-hand vehicle warranties, which are an insurance product providing cover when the original warranty has expired. Some dealers offer a choice between extending the original warranty of buying the insurance product. I only have experience of the latter in the UK but these warranties tend to be problematic. The thing to look out for is a 'fair wear and tear' clause which can be used to deny claims on even relatively new cars on the basis that a component failed through wear and tear rather mechanical breakdown. I had an experience where a transfer box failed just out of manufacturer's guarantee and the independent warranty company refused to pay a bill of close to 100,000 baht (GBP 1500). In the end, after I got an independent engineer's report and threatened legal action, the company did pay up but I am told such problems are commonplace. Some policies offer an agreed % reduction in amount payable against claims according to age of vehicle, and in return remove the 'fair wear' clause. This might be the better way to go if this option exists in Thailand and you want a used car warranty.

This might be the better way to go if this option exists in Thailand and you want a used car warranty.

I have searched and searched and the asiacare product is the ONLY option as far as I can see.

It also seems a good proposition. Certainly better than the earlier-mentioned "Red Tail Light" warranty that is the current option with most (all) Thai car tents.

Edited by cymruambyth1

Tommy

I think the OP was talking about USED CAR warranties...not the 3x100k warranty that comes with a new car.

The web link I supplied to asiacarewarranty.com is specifically for used cars and to obtain a warranty beyond the initial 3x100k one that is issued as standard with a new car in Thailand.

Reading the Asiacare website, it allows for vehicles up to 10 years old and with 180k on the clock.

So, and how they can make sure the car has only 180'k on the clock? The professional "anjusting" mileage on Odometers, (even the digital ones) are adverthised in any Car Magazines.

Tommy

So, and how they can make sure the car has only 180'k on the clock? The professional "anjusting" mileage on Odometers, (even the digital ones) are adverthised in any Car Magazines.

So...?

So, if the car is up to 10 yrs old and/or has less than 180,000km on the clock....YOU GET A WARRANTY ON IT. A 12 month x 25,000km warranty.

What does having the odometer "anjusted" (sic) have to do with anything and please tell me who would need to "make sure"?

Would you prefer to have a used car that has been "anjusted" WITHOUT a warranty or a used car that has been "anjusted" WITH a warranty?

Edited by cymruambyth1

Tommy

So...?

So, if the car is up to 10 yrs old and/or has less than 180,000km on the clock....YOU GET A WARRANTY ON IT. A 12 month x 25,000km warranty.

What does having the odometer "anjusted" (sic) have to do with anything and please tell me who would need to "make sure"?

Would you prefer to have a used car that has been "anjusted" WITHOUT a warranty or a used car that has been "anjusted" WITH a warranty?

You don't get the point. How THEY know wich used car's odo meter is "adjusted" or not? I saw 3 year old cars with 240'k' miles on the Odometer and someone turned them back to 100'k.

Anyway all the waranties (bronce type) they offer covers only the engine , transmission and rear axle. If you want cover more than you have to pay for it. Mosthly never someting wrong with the engine only, specially in the first 10 years. Usually problems starting after a couple years, with air condition, electronic engine managmenet systems, power windows, power locks, leaking steering racks, blowing radiator hoses and bellts, brakes and specially on Thai roads: THE SUSPENSIONS. All this things are NOT covered by this company, unless you are willing ot pay for upgrade the warrantie. And i'm quite sure if a radiatorhose breaks and driver keep's driving (not look at the temerature gauge, wich happens so many times in Thailand, because most of peaple don't know what this gauges is for), your engine get's "<deleted>...", they will blame on you.

Mr Stingray,

I perfectly understand the point, now please try to absorb my point: When a car is sold, and the odometer reads less than the maximum allowed kilometers, a warranty is placed on the vehicle INCLUDED in the price of that vehicle. It matters not that there has been an adjustment.

As for the other points in your post; what do you expect to get for free? A manufacturers warranty!? And if you can find a warranty anywhere in the world that covers radiator hoses, please send me the link.

As for problems starting after a couple of years...the original manufacturers warranty will take care of this. What Asiacare is promoting for the Used Car market in Thailand is the ability to UPGRADE to cover that has NEVER BEEN AVAILABLE BEFORE....EVER IN THAILAND! Of course you have to pay for it. You would have to pay for this in any country in the world.

As for your remarks about Thai people not knowing what the gauge is for; you may be correct, I cannot comment. However, please find me a link to a warranty supplier that pays claims to people that "don't know what the gauges are for".

I refer you to my previous post: Would you prefer to have a used car that has been adjusted WITHOUT a warranty or a used car that has been adjusted WITH a warranty?

Edited by cymruambyth1

Mr Stingray,

I perfectly understand the point, now please try to absorb my point: When a car is sold, and the odometer reads less than the maximum allowed kilometers, a warranty is placed on the vehicle INCLUDED in the price of that vehicle. It matters not that there has been an adjustment.

As for the other points in your post; what do you expect to get for free? A manufacturers warranty!? And if you can find a warranty anywhere in the world that covers radiator hoses, please send me the link.

As for problems starting after a couple of years...the original manufacturers warranty will take care of this. What Asiacare is promoting for the Used Car market in Thailand is the ability to UPGRADE to cover that has NEVER BEEN AVAILABLE BEFORE....EVER IN THAILAND! Of course you have to pay for it. You would have to pay for this in any country in the world.

As for your remarks about Thai people not knowing what the gauge is for; you may be correct, I cannot comment. However, please find me a link to a warranty supplier that pays claims to people that "don't know what the gauges are for".

I refer you to my previous post: Would you prefer to have a used car that has been adjusted WITHOUT a warranty or a used car that has been adjusted WITH a warranty?

I personally never give a sh... about the mileage of a car. I buy a car and look at the condition and again i buy THE CAR, not the History of a car. I prefere a mecanics car with a 200'000 km on the clock than some old womens car with 80'000 miles on the clock whe never changed the oil, no had any colant in the radiator and the engine is clogged up because the only weekly short drive to the church. I drive a almost 40 year old Oldsmobile here in Thailand, who have maybe already a million km done with this ages, who knows, but i don't need to pay for a used car warrantie. I'm from Switzerland and usually overthere regarding the law we have to give a 3 months used car warrantie to our customers. But in Switzerland and Germany ALL cars get checked every 2 year by the goverment about the condition, so there is no bad car on the road. Therefore all the older and cheap cars going to export and are desappierd from the local marked, because no dealer can give a 3 month warrantie on a 10 year old 2'000 Euro used car. Anyway that's another matter! In europe (England i don't know) noone pays for a guarrantie, only americans they do. Thereis a guarrantie or there isn't

Edited by stingray

Mr Stingray,

I personally never give a sh... about the mileage of a car. I buy a car and look at the condition and again i buy THE CAR, not the History of a car. I prefere a mecanics car with a 200'000 km on the clock than some old womens car with 80'000 miles on the clock whe never changed the oil, no had any colant in the radiator and the engine is clogged up because the only weekly short drive to the church. I drive a almost 40 year old Oldsmobile here in Thailand, who have maybe already a million km done with this ages, who knows, but i don't need to pay for a used car warrantie. I'm from Switzerland and usually overthere regarding the law we have to give a 3 months used car warrantie to our customers. But in Switzerland and Germany ALL cars get checked every 2 year by the goverment about the condition, so there is no bad car on the road. Therefore all the older and cheap cars going to export and are desappierd from the local marked, because no dealer can give a 3 month warrantie on a 10 year old 2'000 Euro used car. Anyway that's another matter! In europe (England i don't know) noone pays for a guarrantie, only americans they do. Thereis a guarrantie or there isn't

Switzerland?

OK...I give up. I don't want to ask the same question 3 times and not get an answer.

Mr Stingray,

Switzerland?

OK...I give up. I don't want to ask the same question 3 times and not get an answer.

If you get a 180k km car which has been adjusted from lets say 300k km, and get an insurance, I m quite sure the insurer will find the genuine milage if there is a claim. In serviceinvoices, accidentclaims or stored in OBD.