The Buddha Tried To Kill My Car!

garro

Buddhist Monks don't 'beg' for food. Poor choice of wording.

The Buddha described his monks as beggars. This is what the word 'bhikku' actually means. If it is good enough for the Buddha, it is a good enough choice for me.

My wife insisted that we have our car blessed. The 'holy water" that they splashed in the back was less than clean. I have a few splatter stains on the felt that wont come out to remind me how "blessed" I am! :) Hanging a simple amulet from the rear view mirror is a better option in my opinion. :D

BTW: Good story garro! :D

Edited by mizzi39

and the man drove another five kilometres with a failed steering wheel.

I had my previous car blessed, my wife's idea. hmm, is there a trend here? had run well for four years. having battle-scar scratches on the front & rear bumpers. Last year someone ran into the back. the car was jolted forward and hit the car at the front. Voila, instant new front & rear bumpers. We got really good better-than-average tradein offer last month.

hmm, still waiting for my wife to mention about getting this new car blessed. :D Is it necessary? don't think it is. but if it brings some peace of mind, why not? :)

To be fair. I didn't know that the steering wheel was damaged in the beginning, and I stopped as soon as I realised that it too was affected by the string. I initially just thought that the horn was damaged. I am not that daft!

To be fair. I didn't know that the steering wheel was damaged in the beginning, and I stopped as soon as I realised that it too was affected by the string. I initially just thought that the horn was damaged. I am not that daft!

oh was that your blog? oh yeh you said it was your car in your post. LOL, please forgive my ignorance. If I knew, I would have mentioned it outside of this thread. :):D

The Buddha described his monks as beggars. This is what the word 'bhikku' actually means. If it is good enough for the Buddha, it is a good enough choice for me.

Hi

English was not in use in Northern India in the time of the Buddha (as far as I know), so you can't say that's what the word means. it may be one of the more common translations, granted. And I certainly am not saying I would gainsay the concept the Buddha was expounding in using that term.

But I think the point neverdie was making is that monks do not "beg" in the sense that that word is used nowadays in the West. They are there to provide a service, a path to Nirvana, access to the teachings, inspiration, practical advice for a happier life - and in return for that, the local population feeds them. That's not begging, not by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry!

Hi

English was not in use in Northern India in the time of the Buddha (as far as I know), so you can't say that's what the word means. it may be one of the more common translations, granted. And I certainly am not saying I would gainsay the concept the Buddha was expounding in using that term.

But I think the point neverdie was making is that monks do not "beg" in the sense that that word is used nowadays in the West. They are there to provide a service, a path to Nirvana, access to the teachings, inspiration, practical advice for a happier life - and in return for that, the local population feeds them. That's not begging, not by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry!

I am well aware that English was not the spoken language in the Buddha's time and place; neither was Pali. The accepted meaning of 'Bhikku' is beggar in any source that I have checked. As far as I'm concerned monks beg; they should not be earning a living.

Hey-ho, I meant my article as a light-hearted look at Buddhism in Thailand and how it impacted my car, but maybe this was too much to expect. I did not think that I would be getting into a debate with a Buddhist 'expert'. Sometimes ...ahh,

Hi

I respect your opinion obvisily you are buddhist just explain to me if monks don't beg where do they get the money from to buy cigarets and mobile phones and so on? Monks don't work do they?

Garro, it looks like Scientology hacked you blog:

post-21260-1248603575_thumb.png

Can you do something about it?

--

Maestro

Sorry Maestro, but my article is hosted on associated content, and I have no say in advertisements. Still, I am all for religious tolerance and most religions have beliefs which would seem a bit odd to outsiders.

I respect your opinion obvisily you are buddhist just explain to me if monks don't beg where do they get the money from to buy cigarets and mobile phones and so on? Monks don't work do they?

People donate all kinds of things to monks or temples - including money - as a way to make merit and sometimes in appreciation for ceremonies performed, such as chanting at weddings or funerals.

Sorry camerata, I don't often disagree with you, but I really do feel that monks beg. I see this a positive thing. The monk gives up his possessions to live off the laity. The monk learns humility and non-attachment to possessions and the laity get to donate and make merit.

Edited by garro

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just explaining another aspect of the monkhood today, where they receive money and/or goods without actually begging for it. Even in the Buddha's day, people donated land and built monasteries for the sangha, but for monks they stuck to the four requisites rather than providing luxuries.

I don't know of a better word than "begging" to describe what monks do on alms round, but the dictionary definition of beggar strongly implies the beggar provides nothing in return, which is not the case with monks. In fact the English word "beggar" generally has negative connotations.

It does have a negative quality to it, but I bet it always did. I would imagine even in the Buddha's time that some people thought that the monks should get a job and stop living off the people. I am sure that SB himself was aware of this.

It does have a negative quality to it, but I bet it always did. I would imagine even in the Buddha's time that some people thought that the monks should get a job and stop living off the people. I am sure that SB himself was aware of this.
I give you 99% for your answer but then again I am not a buddhist

It does have a negative quality to it, but I bet it always did. I would imagine even in the Buddha's time that some people thought that the monks should get a job and stop living off the people.

Possibly, but from what I've read the tradition at the time was to offer alms to any recluse/holy man one came across. This had been going on long before the Buddhist monkhood.

Personally, I prefer the word "mendicant" to beggar, particularly since one of the definitions is "a member of any of several orders of friars that originally forbade ownership of property, subsisting mostly on alms." :)

Garro, it looks like Scientology hacked you blog:

post-21260-1248603575_thumb.png

Can you do something about it?

--

Maestro

Sorry Maestro, but my article is hosted on associated content, and I have no say in advertisements. Still, I am all for religious tolerance and most religions have beliefs which would seem a bit odd to outsiders.

That is only if you don't consider most extended spirituality to be cultish. Would Tom Cruise sell you Wrong?

I think maybe 'collect alms' may be a better phrase for 'bindabaat'.

However, monks around my area certianly do 'beg'. I am frequently asked to buy things for them - pepsi, pens, books. cigarettes etc. Asked for money too. With nothing in return - except maybe "merit" if you believe that.

Bankei