See Tefl Teacher Training

On July 4, 2009 DSS International Language Services Co., Ltd., the parent company of the Siam Educational Experience (SEE) TEFL training course was certified ISO 9001:2008 compliant by Bureau Veritas, the global leader in standards assessment and certification, accredited by UKAS, the United Kingdom Accreditation Service.

ISO 9001:2008 is the latest version of the ISO standard for quality management systems. The standard includes quality policy--which must be understood at all levels of the organization--quality decisions, quality management record-keeping, planning and development quality management, regular performance review and internal auditing, and the documentation of procedures and exception management. Achievement of ISO 9001:2008 certification means that the organization's quality management meets an internationally recognized standard of quality, and is regularly audited by external, independent auditors.

THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS at DSS International took a full seven months of training staff and preparing for the ISO 9001:2008 audit. The staff and school manager worked exceedingly hard and deserve most of the credit for making SEE TEFL Teacher Training a world standard TEFL training course. All aspects of the organization are subject to rigorous process management audits. The Bureau Veritas staff were extremely thorough and professional. We are very proud to have achieved the ISO 9001:2008 certification distinction.

THE LEADER IN LANGUAGE SERVICES, DSS International and SEE TEFL are one of just a handful of TEFL training schools in the world that has achieved this world class management system certification, and the first in Asia. It means our courses are run, managed and audited to a standard recognized by governments, ministries of education and employers in just about every country in the world. This means SEE TEFL Teacher Training is not only world class but is also guaranteed to be recognized by the organizations that employ TEFL teachers around the world.

Potential TEFL teachers face a difficult decision when selecting a TEFL training certification course. Many students have no chance of visiting a TEFL training school before making their choice. This is especially difficult when the course is held in a foreign country. International standards are needed to ensure regularly audited quality standards are met.

INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDS (ISO) - http://www.iso.org - was established in 1947 is a network of standards institutes from 159 countries with a central office in Geneva, Switzerland, that coordinates the system. ISO is a non-governmental organization that forms a bridge between the public and private sectors, and is the largest standards organization in the world.

BUREAU VERITAS - http://www.bureauveritas.com - is the world's leading certification body with over 80,000 clients in more than 100 countries, and a global network of 5,700 highly qualified auditors and expertise that is recognized by more than 35 national and international accreditation bodies.

THE UNITED KINGDOM ACCREDITATION SERVICE - http://www.ukas.com - is the sole national accreditation body recognized by the UK government to assess, against internationally agreed standards, organizations that provide certification services. Accreditation by UKAS demonstrates the competence, impartiality and performance capability of these evaluators.

John

http://siameducationalexperience.org/accreditation.htm

ISO is meaningless in education and does not guarantee anything relating to educational quality.

All it means is that processes are documented and followed.

ISO is useful in some situations, but in hospitals and schools/training institutions it's woorth very little.

For a training course or any kind of education, I'd prefer to see it accredited by a good and well known university.

That doesn't surprise me John, what I learnt during the course I attended at SEE put me in good stead for teaching English here in Thailand and, like everyone else on the course, I was very happy with the course contents, teaching methods and management at SEE.

As usual with thaivisa there will be people who make negative posts and try to belittle what you have achieved but just ignore them, jealous maybe?!

Congratulations to you and Ying and all the best for the future.

SP

That doesn't surprise me John, what I learnt during the course I attended at SEE put me in good stead for teaching English here in Thailand and, like everyone else on the course, I was very happy with the course contents, teaching methods and management at SEE.

As usual with thaivisa there will be people who make negative posts and try to belittle what you have achieved but just ignore them, jealous maybe?!

SP

Maybe the truth, but Haltes is perfectly right about ISO and educational and health/medical institutes.

SP

Maybe the truth, but Haltes is perfectly right about ISO and educational and health/medical institutes.

Well I'd rather learn somewhere with certified quality management than somewhere without. I think most people who are looking for somewhere to do a Tefl course would feel the same and choose an establishment that has been inspected and certified over one that hasn't. But I could be wrong, I have been once before!

ISO is meaningless in education and does not guarantee anything relating to educational quality.

ISO is useful in some situations, but in hospitals and schools/training institutions it's woorth very little.

For a training course or any kind of education, I'd prefer to see it accredited by a good and well known university.

A different opinion from the…

European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (established by Regulation of the Council of the European Communities)

“If an education or training organization is looking for a comprehensive quality assurance approach, then the principles and requirements of ISO 9001 and 9002 are to be considered seriously. Indeed, most traditional quality assurance methods in education and training are based on a classical typology of a provider who delivers particular course and programmes to students. This facilitates the analogy with industrial production and mass services – and hence the quality philosophy adopted there. One might even argue that the ISO 9000 standards can more easily be applied to education and training activities than to other services, such as health care, personal care, consulting or training.”

“Some organizations have sought to introduce ISO 9000 to improve specific functions or activities. This may be related to a general concern of ensuring high customer satisfaction, or to the willingness to attain specific quality levels. Some examples related to education and training institutions are:

• Improvement of the logistical and support processes
  • Better control of external trainers
  • Development of a thorough procedure for design and development of training and education programmes and courses
  • Quality assurance of the examination and evaluation of students”

Source: http://www.ilo.org/public/english/region/a...dad/doc/iso.pdf

Edited by SEETEFL

A different opinion from the…

European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (established by Regulation of the Council of the European Communities)

“If an education or training organization is looking for a comprehensive quality assurance approach, then the principles and requirements of ISO 9001 and 9002 are to be considered seriously. Indeed, most traditional quality assurance methods in education and training are based on a classical typology of a provider who delivers particular course and programmes to students. This facilitates the analogy with industrial production and mass services – and hence the quality philosophy adopted there. One might even argue that the ISO 9000 standards can more easily be applied to education and training activities than to other services, such as health care, personal care, consulting or training.”

“Some organizations have sought to introduce ISO 9000 to improve specific functions or activities. This may be related to a general concern of ensuring high customer satisfaction, or to the willingness to attain specific quality levels. Some examples related to education and training institutions are:

• Improvement of the logistical and support processes
  • Better control of external trainers
  • Development of a thorough procedure for design and development of training and education programmes and courses
  • Quality assurance of the examination and evaluation of students”

Well that's really up to date and relevant - it quotes ISO9002 which has been obsolete for 9 years!