Miss Universe Contest To Substantially Benefit Tha

george

Miss Universe contest to substantially benefit Thailand

BANGKOK: – The Thai government has defended its decision to fund the Miss Universe 2005 contest, to be hosted by the kingdom later this year.

Thailand would benefit substantially from its investment in the contest, Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop told journalists here.

Mr. Suwat represented the Thai government in signing the contract between the government and the Miss Universe company earlier this week.

“The programme will be broadcasted to 171 countries reaching an audience of more than a billion. It is one of the cheapest ways to promote Thailand to a global audience,” he said.

The Thai government has agreed to provide 6.5 million dollars (or 270 million baht) to help private Thai companies fund the contest.

There has been mounting criticism of the government’s decision for wasting money.

The government plans to use the contest to promote the country’s tourism industry, and in particular to attract foreign tourists back to the country’s six southern tsunami-hit provinces of Phuket, Phang-nga, Krabi, Trang, Ranong and Satun, said Mr. Suwat, who overseas tourism affairs.

Thailand’s tourist authorities believe that more than 60,000 foreign tourists will visit the kingdom during and after the contest.

The contest is scheduled to be held on 31 May.

--TNA 2005-03-05

270 million baht..... Come on Thaksin.....I can think of a few good causes that this money could be spent on rather that a beauty contest....You probably would have been able to buy at least 3 Football Clubs for this.....Oh well there`s always next year I suppose...... :o

The Thai government has agreed to provide 6.5 million dollars (or 270 million baht) to help private Thai companies fund the contest

Anybody got a spare Thai I can borrow? :o

Oh, and originally, it was 5 million dollars as as a fee paid directly to the Pagaent Owners... I guess it's 6.5 after negotiating?? And I'll bet the Pageant Owners are 'disbursing' the money through chargebacks for use of the Pageant's image, etc. etc... Certainly enough local fingers in the pie to put any sensibilities aside- just get me on the chaperone committee :D

Edited by Ajarn

It appears there is some discrepancy regarding the financial arrangements:

The Nation

Published on Mar 3, 2005

More than 65,000 international tourists and media representatives are expected to descend on Thailand this May, spending some Bt2 billion when the country hosts the Miss Universe Beauty Contest 2005, said Tourism and Sport Minister Sontaya Kumplome.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), representing the government, will sponsor the event.

Thailand beat both China and Chile to win the right to host the event, with the Cabinet approving a budget of Bt2.5 billion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm..... spend 2.5 billion for the pagent and take in an estimated 2 billion... doesn't sound like a lot of financial gain.

ALSO:

How Come Entertainment is to join other local organisers involved in the Miss Universe 2005 contest. The company is partly owned by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s son, Panthongtae.

How Come Entertainment’s agreement with the ministry will see Panthongtae himself handle all the local photo shoots and the transmission of pageant photos to news agencies and other buyers around the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Just another case of mixing family business run for a profit with tax-payers money.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

How Come Entertainment’s agreement with the ministry will see Panthongtae himself handle all the local photo shoots and the transmission of pageant photos to news agencies and other buyers around the world.

:o

Panthongtae is a lucky young man :D

so are the sons of Chilean dictator Pinochet, Ugandan madman Amin, Indonesian strongman Suharto, Nigerian military ruler General Sani Abacha, Congo's dictator Eyadema, and Philippine b*stard Marcos.