Chiang Mai Veledrome Closed

Sparkles

In todays Bangkok Post Sports section,letters to the Editor section , there was an interesting letter from an Ian Franklin re the continuing closure of Chiang Mai's veledrome.Apparently a young boy was killed there in an accident whilst riding a skateboard and instead of stepping up security to prevent incidents like this those responsible closed it.

Ian has a son who is a promising rider and he has offered to assist in training other boys and girls who might like to take up the sport if the veledrome re opens. Built for the 1995 SEA GAMES at a cost ,I would presume of many millions of baht, its a tragedy that a facilty like this lies idle.

I am not sure if Ian is a contributor to TV but it would be a worthwhile project if he was assisted in bringing this facility back to life.

Those on this forum that have contacts and/or ideas a contribution could be your good deed for the day.

In todays Bangkok Post Sports section,letters to the Editor section , there was an interesting letter from an Ian Franklin re the continuing closure of Chiang Mai's veledrome.Apparently a young boy was killed there in an accident whilst riding a skateboard and instead of stepping up security to prevent incidents like this those responsible closed it.

Ian has a son who is a promising rider and he has offered to assist in training other boys and girls who might like to take up the sport if the veledrome re opens. Built for the 1995 SEA GAMES at a cost ,I would presume of many millions of baht, its a tragedy that a facilty like this lies idle.

I am not sure if Ian is a contributor to TV but it would be a worthwhile project if he was assisted in bringing this facility back to life.

Those on this forum that have contacts and/or ideas a contribution could be your good deed for the day.

Ian does read this forum occasionally, but I'll send him a link to this thread in case he hasn't seen it. He's been trying for months to get the velodrome open. He has offered to train any kids who are interested, both farang and Thai, but he can't do anything without regular access to the track.

This decision must be a contender for the most stupid thinking of the year. In a country that publicly acknowledges a big youth problem over drugs and drinking, sport is the obvious alternative to keep kids off the drugs society says it doesn't want kids on.

It is truly unbelievable that this place is closed!

Perhaps this thread can uncover those responsible for this decision so that efforts can be directed at the right target. He/they should be publicly uncovered to demonstrate such action is detrimental to society.

Hey Fantastic feedback!! That's me, I am the writer of the letter. I am involved with road/sport cycling here in Chiang Mai having helped coach young people in the UK under British Cycling's Go-Ride Scheme. My son is here with two track bikes (A Dolan and a Fuji) and I also have a couple of track bikes. Absolutely useless with no track to ride!

It seems here in Thailand that cycle sport is limited to the odd mtb race - although there are a lot of road riders who would time trial, road race and ride on the track given the events and opportunity. The Thai Cycling Association events list is very short and I am not too sure what they do to develop the sport.

In the UK we got kids on a velodrome riding their ordinary bikes. This was safe and successful. I am certain we can replicate that here and I'm willing to put my all into it to get it up and running. Any ideas/contacts would be welcomes. I have tried putting a story in the English language Chiang Mai news without success. But its an interesting news/campaigning item which they should not ignore.

Thanks for your post!

Ian

Hey Fantastic feedback!! That's me, I am the writer of the letter. I am involved with road/sport cycling here in Chiang Mai having helped coach young people in the UK under British Cycling's Go-Ride Scheme. My son is here with two track bikes (A Dolan and a Fuji) and I also have a couple of track bikes. Absolutely useless with no track to ride!

It seems here in Thailand that cycle sport is limited to the odd mtb race - although there are a lot of road riders who would time trial, road race and ride on the track given the events and opportunity. The Thai Cycling Association events list is very short and I am not too sure what they do to develop the sport.

In the UK we got kids on a velodrome riding their ordinary bikes. This was safe and successful. I am certain we can replicate that here and I'm willing to put my all into it to get it up and running. Any ideas/contacts would be welcomes. I have tried putting a story in the English language Chiang Mai news without success. But its an interesting news/campaigning item which they should not ignore.

Thanks for your post!

Ian

I had hoped someone would have come forward with some radical ideas on how to help you. I have only been in CM a short time and dont know the movers and shakers who can make this facility come alive. I can only suggest you lobby the Mayor , if there is one, and the local member. City Life Mag may take your cause on,they seem pretty active in local issues, and felow cycle enthusiasts including the bike shops.

Unfortuantly you are up against the mentality that if something goes wrong close it down and the problem will go away. At our village swimming pool a child stubbed her toe on a broken tile. Within days the pool was emptied and remains that way 13 weeks later.If regular winter maintenace had been done it wouldn't have happened. Meanwhile promising ,enthusiastic young Thai swimmers who use the pool daily to train with instructors ,are left high and dry as it were.The rest of us have to travel to other villages and management loses thousands of baht as no one is paying the small entry fee. Incredibly frustrating but thtas th e way it seems to be here. Hope you can post an update.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely understand where you are coming from. I ride myself, and there are very few places to do so in Chiang Mai. It's a shame as there are so many kids wasting time and money on internet gaming. A sports facility like a velodrome would not only get them away from that, but also provide business for local shops. You could even charge a small entry fee.

If I had the money or the contacts, I would love to open a decent skate park in Chiang Mai. There is a skatepark of sorts but it run by the local riders, who all had to chip in to buy the materials and do it themselves. There are professionally built skate/bike parks all over Thailand Chiang Mai really seems to be lacking.

Perhaps we could work together and try and get an indoor skatepark and velodrome going? There are a lot of kids riding round on fixies now and even more on bmx. I know of at least 50 bmx riders in Chiang Mai. Many of whom would be happy to pay a little bit to have a decent place to ride. Once the park is built there is very little maintenance work to be done. Areas could be rented out to food venders etc to generate money. We had an outdoor park, sponsored by Red Bull. It didn't last long as it was made of very low grade ply wood. Even so, many people started riding and skating as a result of the park being there.

Let me know what you think.

• 1 month later...
I completely understand where you are coming from. I ride myself, and there are very few places to do so in Chiang Mai. It's a shame as there are so many kids wasting time and money on internet gaming. A sports facility like a velodrome would not only get them away from that, but also provide business for local shops. You could even charge a small entry fee.

If I had the money or the contacts, I would love to open a decent skate park in Chiang Mai. There is a skatepark of sorts but it run by the local riders, who all had to chip in to buy the materials and do it themselves. There are professionally built skate/bike parks all over Thailand Chiang Mai really seems to be lacking.

Perhaps we could work together and try and get an indoor skatepark and velodrome going? There are a lot of kids riding round on fixies now and even more on bmx. I know of at least 50 bmx riders in Chiang Mai. Many of whom would be happy to pay a little bit to have a decent place to ride. Once the park is built there is very little maintenance work to be done. Areas could be rented out to food venders etc to generate money. We had an outdoor park, sponsored by Red Bull. It didn't last long as it was made of very low grade ply wood. Even so, many people started riding and skating as a result of the park being there.

And now we are there. I have today concluded my meetings with the velodrome authorities and the track is now open for use. Not quite on the terms we expected but the deal is this: Like all facilities at the 700 Stadium you have to join the overall stadium at 520 baht per year. This gives you access to all the facilities including swimming and gym. For each facility you have to pay a user fee. For the Velodrome it has been set at 100 baht - but for this price you can use it all day. Now we will be doing some specific work at the velodrome - like training nights and so on. There is a simple set of rules available in Thai and in English from the velodrome office. A skatepark is a great idea as well as a BMX park for the kids. I am sure both of these facilities could be developed at the 700 nStadium as they have plenty of space.

And now we are there. I have today concluded my meetings with the velodrome authorities and the track is now open for use. Not quite on the terms we expected but the deal is this: Like all facilities at the 700 Stadium you have to join the overall stadium at 520 baht per year. This gives you access to all the facilities including swimming and gym. For each facility you have to pay a user fee. For the Velodrome it has been set at 100 baht - but for this price you can use it all day. Now we will be doing some specific work at the velodrome - like training nights and so on. There is a simple set of rules available in Thai and in English from the velodrome office. A skatepark is a great idea as well as a BMX park for the kids. I am sure both of these facilities could be developed at the 700 nStadium as they have plenty of space.

Well done.Your perserverance is to be admired......good luck !

... and instead of stepping up security to prevent incidents like this those responsible closed it.

The decision to close the facility rather than improve it is Sooooo stupid!!

Every day (too) many people, young and old, wipe themselves out on the roads here, through their ludicrous driving habits. So, by the same model of rationale described above, why don't they close the roads too?

• 2 months later...
What times does anyone train there?

(everytime I go there the velodrome is closed/locked up)

Ian is out of town for a few days but I know he is still trying to get the velodrome re-opened. He has paid for the repairs himself but he's still dealing with the bureaucrats in getting final permission to use the velodrome.

Ian is out of town for a few days but I know he is still trying to get the velodrome re-opened. He has paid for the repairs himself but he's still dealing with the bureaucrats in getting final permission to use the velodrome.

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully he can get things moving as it seems an incredible waste to have such a facility lying idle.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully he can get things moving as it seems an incredible waste to have such a facility lying idle.

Yep. After agreeing to open the Velodrome, the bureaucrats have back pedalled (ha ha). So the issue is with the very big wigs at the top. Still waiting to hear ... umpteen phone calls later ............................................

Thanks for the update.

Yep. After agreeing to open the Velodrome, the bureaucrats have back pedalled (ha ha). So the issue is with the very big wigs at the top. Still waiting to hear ... umpteen phone calls later ............................................

Thanks for the update. Very disappointing to waste such a facility.

• 5 months later...

Are there any news about posible opening of Velodrom Chiang Mai?

I will pass it next days when training the National Lady's from Lao

and there was today also a request from a Singapore cuclist.

I am cycling in Thailand since 3,5 years and got well known, even I know also Ian and the groups here around.

I got an vontract for a privat team just days ago, with competitions in singapore, Thailand or where else ...

So look for news.

Thomas

at Bamboo-Lake-Village

• 4 months later...

Also the diving boards at the stadium have been closed for about 6 months. Apparently someone had an accident.

Not surprising considering the way some kids abused it.

However, personally I need to practice diving and jumping an d would really like to see it open again.

Presumably the same people are responsible for keeping the facility closed.

If you could point me in the right direction perhaps I can do something.

Also I would very much like to see a bike/skating park open here