Thai Driving License

I've had a Thai driving license & used it in Bangkok for about 3 years.

First I got a 1 yrs license (with papers from the embassy to say I was resident) then I renewed it for (I think) 3 years. Anyway it expired last year when I was out of country on contract work.

I returned to BKK hoping to update my papers - but was told at the motor office that I must produce a residence letter again - ( as I was only planning a 1 months stay I opted to use my international drivers licence )

But I was told that I could hold off & opt to wait to renew until I had resident status again (max either 3 or 5 years ??)

Anyone ?

PaddyBKK

First I got a 1 yrs license (with papers from the embassy to say I was resident) then I renewed it for (I think) 3 years. Anyway it expired last year when I was out of country on contract work.

I returned to BKK hoping to update my papers - but was told at the motor office that I must produce a residence letter again - ( as I was only planning a 1 months stay I opted to use my international drivers licence )

But I was told that I could hold off & opt to wait to renew until I had resident status again (max either 3 or 5 years ??)

Anyone ?

PaddyBKK

What they are referring to is a Certificate of Residence, which is issued by your local Immigration Office (2 photographs required), which essentially will show the duration of your current visa stamp. The certificate should be free of charge, though I know of many people who have been required to pay 100 baht 'tea' money. During the last 2 months, I've been required to get a few of these certificates (as copies will not be accepted) for driving licence, boat licence, and boat registration. Your driving licence (if they take the stance of it being a new one), will be valid for 1 year, and when renewed will be valid for 5 years.

Anyone ?

PaddyBKK

There are only two varieties of Thai DL, namely, a 1 year and a 5 year, I assume here you are talking about a 5 year license and not a 1 year one....If this has expired...Start all over again...ie get your 1 year for 1 year and then you 5 year... so basically you can "renew" anything...

What they are referring to is a Certificate of Residence, which is issued by your local Immigration Office (2 photographs required), which essentially will show the duration of your current visa stamp. The certificate should be free of charge, though I know of many people who have been required to pay 100 baht 'tea' money.

Sadly the poster quoted is greatly mistaken concerning ANY "tea money" involved in this simple process at least at Suan Plu in Bangkok. You get a receipt, and the 100baht fee covers the processing of the letter, as well as the EMS fee to mail it to you about a week later.

The "Certificate of Residence" issued by Thai Immigrations at Suan Plu in Bangkok also requires no photos. It does however require copies of your picture page on your passport, the most current entry stamp, the permitted to stay until stamp and the exit card.

I have sent more people than I care to count to Suan Plu (I think it's room 307 although I could be mistaken) to get that letter. Even at 100baht it's far cheaper for US citizens than our ACS at the US Embassy's price of 1020 baht.

I do know someone who got their thai driver's license by showing a letter from their local police station which said they lived in thailand, so that may be a route available to you as well, and I would call your local police office.

Concerning the thai driver's license;

When you FIRST get a thai driver's license, be it a thai national or a foreigner, you get a one year license. That must expire BEFORE you can renew it (oxymoronic I know but true). When you renew your one year you get a license for five years. That also must be renewed AFTER it expires, but I am not sure on the time frame of renewal. A thai friend of mine whose license had expired for several years, simply went out to Soi 99 and renewed hers, although she did have to sit thru a 2-3 hour class and film (in thai only) about driving safety.

I still need to take my old style 5 year driver's license (the one that looks like it was made on KhaoSan Road), and swap it for the new "Smart Card" one. Something I read on the forum is relatively painless, and trouble free to do. I just haven't made it out to Soi 99 to do it yet.

I still need to take my old style 5 year driver's license (the one that looks like it was made on KhaoSan Road), and swap it for the new "Smart Card" one. Something I read on the forum is relatively painless, and trouble free to do. I just haven't made it out to Soi 99 to do it yet.

Changing over your current KhaoSan road one to your shiny new "Smart Card" is indeed a relatively painless process, changed mine over last month, and although you may have to hang around a little, dependent on how may people are getting licenses that particular day..the process itself is pretty efficient...

What they are referring to is a Certificate of Residence, which is issued by your local Immigration Office (2 photographs required), which essentially will show the duration of your current visa stamp. The certificate should be free of charge, though I know of many people who have been required to pay 100 baht 'tea' money.

Sadly the poster quoted is greatly mistaken concerning ANY "tea money" involved in this simple process at least at Suan Plu in Bangkok. You get a receipt, and the 100baht fee covers the processing of the letter, as well as the EMS fee to mail it to you about a week later.

The "Certificate of Residence" issued by Thai Immigrations at Suan Plu in Bangkok also requires no photos. It does however require copies of your picture page on your passport, the most current entry stamp, the permitted to stay until stamp and the exit card.

I have sent more people than I care to count to Suan Plu (I think it's room 307 although I could be mistaken) to get that letter. Even at 100baht it's far cheaper for US citizens than our ACS at the US Embassy's price of 1020 baht.

I do know someone who got their thai driver's license by showing a letter from their local police station which said they lived in thailand, so that may be a route available to you as well, and I would call your local police office.

Concerning the thai driver's license;

When you FIRST get a thai driver's license, be it a thai national or a foreigner, you get a one year license. That must expire BEFORE you can renew it (oxymoronic I know but true). When you renew your one year you get a license for five years. That also must be renewed AFTER it expires, but I am not sure on the time frame of renewal. A thai friend of mine whose license had expired for several years, simply went out to Soi 99 and renewed hers, although she did have to sit thru a 2-3 hour class and film (in thai only) about driving safety.

Your 5 year driving licence should be renewed BEFORE it expires. Only the 1 year licence must have expired before renewal.

If this has expired...Start all over again...ie get your 1 year for 1 year and then you 5 year...

My thoughts too.

The validity of the DL is not related to you extension of stay in Thailand.

The only requirement is that you have a Non Imm visa.

The 5 year license must be renewed before it expires. Otherwise it's back to starting over with a 1 year license.

That is correct. The law specifically states a license must be at least one year old before renewing. The 5 year to 5 year renewal must be done within 90 days before expiration. Some places do allow some time after expiration to renew the 5 to 5 as reported by some members but I wouldn't take a chance that your specific office may apply the rule strictly.

The 5 year license must be renewed before it expires. Otherwise it's back to starting over with a 1 year license.

That is correct. The law specifically states a license must be at least one year old before renewing. The 5 year to 5 year renewal must be done within 90 days before expiration. Some places do allow some time after expiration to renew the 5 to 5 as reported by some members but I wouldn't take a chance that your specific office may apply the rule strictly.

True, also be aware that you might get a 1 year temporary DL on tourist visa. (depends on motor office)

For the 5 year DL you must have a Non immigrant visa.

The 5 year DL you can have a international driving permit on, not the 1 year temporary one.

Many offices, many rules.

My one year DL expired around 2004 or 2005, not able to renew without non-immigrant visa until about year and half ago when i qualified for non-imm again. Went in the sukhumvit office in Bangkok and was told i need to start from the beginning. So i did the written exam and drive tests etc.

After all passed i was issued 5 year DL directly and explanation was that i needed to do all the tests again as it was too long since my one year DL expired but they were able to issue me 5 year DL as i met the condition "have licence more than one year". I had my original one year DL's with me to prove it.

So take your old expired originals and coule of copies with you. Never know, you might get lucky !

Sorry to have posted inaccurate information about renewing the 5 year license. :D

I was quoting a friend of mine (thai national); who'd told me how she went to renew her 5 year license which had expired.

I believe they are sometimes given greater latitude when interpretation of the rules are applied. :)

Good to know I must renew my 5 year license BEFORE it expires, thanx :D

Edited by tod-daniels

My 5 year licence expires in Feb next year. What documents do I need to produce at Morchit to renew it for another 5 years?

*passport (with 1 year extension)

*photo

*current licence

Anything else (eg letter from either Immigration or embassy stating my address)?

My 5 year licence expires in Feb next year. What documents do I need to produce at Morchit to renew it for another 5 years?

*passport (with 1 year extension)

*photo

*current licence

Anything else (eg letter from either Immigration or embassy stating my address)?

- You no longer need to provide a photo.

- You will need a letter from either Immigration or embassy stating your address.

- It has been stated in this forum that a medical cert is no longer required. I can only say that six months ago it was required.

• 1 month later...

I've just changed over my old style 5 year license to the new shiny variety here in Phuket and I needed a letter from Immigration proving my address. In order to get the letter from Immigration you need to supply either your house book (if you own a property) or your lease in the event that you rent your home. BUT, if you rent and provide a copy of your lease you will also need a copy of the property owners ID card - if the owner turns out to be a farang then three hundred baht to the nice man at the desk takes care of the problem - cal it a fine, call it a bribe call it what you will but that's what you have to pay and there is no receipt either.

It's an old and recurring topic.Can understand if related to 1st ,1 year Thai driver licence.

If you're staying longer in Thailand,then you have a visa extension,to need the5 Years DL.

Either you own a condo or you have a house rented,in your name.Well,maybe not,but that's courting trouble.

Then,the yellow Tabien-Ban is the solution,Cheap,fast,available at the Amphur.

If your Land lord/lady isn't ready to help,find a nicer place.Can't understand why so few people use this way.