Advice Needed

I have just received a 1 month work permit from Labour Dept. I then have to go to Laos and receive another 3 month stamp, go back to the Labour Dept who will then issue me with another 3 month Work Permit. I currently have a Non Imm O visa based on marriage. I am also operating a small business.

My current Non O visa expires on 6th Jan 2010.

I have several questions. Is it correct that prior to my visa expiring in jan 2010 that I can go over to laos and get another 3 month stamp enabling me to stay for for a total of 15 months rather than 12?

Once my visa expires do I have to leave the country to obtain a new one year Non Imm O visa or can I go to Immigration and get a 12 month extention based on working in Thailand and having a proof of income of over B40000 a month.

Im sorry if this is all abit scrambled but I tried to explain best I could. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am being told all sorts of different things....

Yes. With a multi entry non immigrant O visa you can return the day before it expires to receive a new 90 day permitted to stay.

Maybe. An extension of stay for marriage requires 40k or bank deposit of 400k - for business it may require 50k (depending on nationality). You can have a work permit on either type of extension of stay. I expect the marriage paperwork will be less.

If you apply for extension of stay based on employment you will also have to show company accounts and tax returns for the last 2 years. The salary requirement is 50k per month for Westerners (but depends on nationality). If your business closed your permission to stay would also end and you would have to leave the country immediately. Assuming you have Thai wife (you mention 40k income which is a marriage linked figure) you could obtain Non-O visa from neighbouring consulate and then extend permission to stay on basis of marriage. Personally I would suggest extending your permission to stay now on the basis of marriage if you can as:

a. the income requirement is lower than seeking extension of stay through employment

b. there is less paperwork

c. it removes any future uncertainties around work

Either type of extension of stay would avoid the need for you to do border runs, but you would have to report your address to immigration every 90 days.

Edited by thaiphoon

Why don't you apply for extension of your WP for one year.

The rule stating it follows your extension of stay is gone.

I got a one year stamp the day before I applied for my new 1 year extension based on marriage.

Also, you don't have to wait for your visa to expire.

You can apply now unless you really enjoys border runs ever 90 days.

Edited by PoorSucker

Why don't you apply for extension of your WP for one year.

The rule stating it follows your extension of stay is gone.

I got a one year stamp the day before I applied for my new 1 year extension based on marriage.

Also, you don't have to wait for your visa to expire.

You can apply now unless you really enjoys border runs ever 90 days.

When applying for my work permit I was of the understanding they would issue a 1yr work permit. I went to the office yesterday to pick it up and found they had given 1 month. They said when I get my next 3 month visa stamp come back and see them the same day and they will issue me with a 3 month work permit. Why have they done this as "poorsucker stated why dont you apply for extension of your WP for 1 year" why did they only give me 1 month then next time 3 months?

Your other posts indicate your company in home was not acceptable - has that been resolved? I don't believe there is any requirement they issue a work permit for longer period and there seems to be different experiences in different places for many work permit rules.

Edited by lopburi3

Your other posts indicate your company in home was not acceptable - has that been resolved? I don't believe there is any requirement they issue a work permit for longer period and there seems to be different experiences in different places for many work permit rules.

Yes this issue has now been resolved. I guess I will just do as they say for my next 3 month work permit. Then go to immigration within the last month of my visa and try and apply for a 1 yr extension based on marriage and see how i go.