Nadal Withdraws From Thailand Open

sbk

Nadal withdraws from Thailand Open

(AFP) – 3 hours ago

BANGKOK — Spanish world number two Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's Thailand Open due to a stomach injury, the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand said Monday.

The Thailand Open will be held from September 26 until October 4 in the suburbs of Bangkok with a top prize of 608,500 dollars.

"Nadal has informed organisers that he has an acute rupture of the right abdominal muscle and would like to withdraw from the Thailand Open," LTAT president Suwat Lipatapanlop told AFP.

continued here

(AFP) – 3 hours ago

BANGKOK — Spanish world number two Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's Thailand Open due to a stomach injury, the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand said Monday.

The Thailand Open will be held from September 26 until October 4 in the suburbs of Bangkok with a top prize of 608,500 dollars.

"Nadal has informed organisers that he has an acute rupture of the right abdominal muscle and would like to withdraw from the Thailand Open," LTAT president Suwat Lipatapanlop told AFP.

continued here

Unfortunately the Thailand Open has a history of withdrawals of top ranked players. Interestingly, according to Tennis Talk, Nadal is vacationing in Samui this week. To see the article, click here: Nadal Recuperating at Samui . Its a bit of a slap in the face.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly it seems this tournament is snake bitten. The latest casualty is #3 seed, Sam Querry, who had an untimely accident when he sat on a glass table which shattered and caused an arm injury.

Last night's matches featured Danai Udomchoke and drew relatively big crowds. However, generally speaking, attendance is terrible probably since none of the matches until Thursday will feature a top 30 player.

Sadly it seems this tournament is snake bitten. The latest casualty is #3 seed, Sam Querry, who had an untimely accident when he sat on a glass table which shattered and caused an arm injury.

Last night's matches featured Danai Udomchoke and drew relatively big crowds. However, generally speaking, attendance is terrible probably since none of the matches until Thursday will feature a top 30 player.

Also I have noticed that they are now charging for day and night sessions seperately, so just two matches in the day and two at night. The only really draws in the draw are Safin and Tsonga, most of the others are not well known to the general public. If those two don't reach the latter stages of the tournament then attendance will be down. When the tournament first started back in 03 I recall that we had about 5 of the top ten including the then world number one Ferrro and the next two years we had Fed, but the trouble this year is that there is a new Mens' tournament in Malaysia held at the same time, this seems to have attracted some bigger names. Even Mofills who was a finalist last year is playing in that one. I feel that we may be reaching the end of the road re this tournament, though I hope not. I for one will attend a couple of night sessions, if they have Safin or Tsonga, I doubt either of those two will be there in the day, and there is no way that I am going to pay 1000 for some mediocre days mathches and then have to pay the same again to watch some better ones at night.

Also I have noticed that they are now charging for day and night sessions seperately, so just two matches in the day and two at night. The only really draws in the draw are Safin and Tsonga, most of the others are not well known to the general public. If those two don't reach the latter stages of the tournament then attendance will be down. When the tournament first started back in 03 I recall that we had about 5 of the top ten including the then world number one Ferrro and the next two years we had Fed, but the trouble this year is that there is a new Mens' tournament in Malaysia held at the same time, this seems to have attracted some bigger names. Even Mofills who was a finalist last year is playing in that one. I feel that we may be reaching the end of the road re this tournament, though I hope not. I for one will attend a couple of night sessions, if they have Safin or Tsonga, I doubt either of those two will be there in the day, and there is no way that I am going to pay 1000 for some mediocre days mathches and then have to pay the same again to watch some better ones at night.

Safin will be playing the day session today, as will Gilles Simon, the 2nd seed. Paradorn Schrichapan made a showing yesterday in the men's doubles with Danai Udomchoke. I was hoping they might rescue this tournament by making a run to the doubles finals but unfortunately, they lost in a tiebreaker. The quality of tennis will improve as the tournament progresses, especially if the two top seeds win.

FYI tickets for the day or night session during the week days(M-F) start at 500 baht (cheaper if you buy general admission tickets from touts).

what a surprise, i bought tickets early last year as they had 4 or 5 big names supposedly playing and magically most of them pulled out right before the tournament. Im sure theyre aware these guys wont play but just use their names to sell tickets. Pretty boring atmosphere there also, will never go again.

what a surprise, i bought tickets early last year as they had 4 or 5 big names supposedly playing and magically most of them pulled out right before the tournament. Im sure theyre aware these guys wont play but just use their names to sell tickets. Pretty boring atmosphere there also, will never go again.

Today's nite session was pretty lively, especially with the match between Jo Wilfred Tsonga and Ernest Gulbis, which went 3 very tight sets. Fortunately Tsonga won 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 in a well played high caliber tennis match. Actually thought that Gulbis played better but he faded in the last two tiebreakers(several close/bum line calls go against him). Wouldn't have been much of a tournament without Tsonga! Gilles Simon, the 2nd seed(a top ten player), won during the day session but nobody really knows who he is.

The prime minister showed up for the opening ceremony, although the highlight was all the Miss Thailand contestants. Even Marat Safin showed up for the presentation, looking very gentlemanly even after his disappointing loss earlier in the day session. Prospects for good tennis on the weekend look good, since enough of the seeded players survived the early rounds.