Leitner Flash Card Software

CaptHaddock

I was previously using handmade paper flash cards for Thai/English vocabulary, but recently discovered the plethora of flash card software available. Some of it incorporates the Leitner algorithm for exercising difficult cards more frequently than the well-learned. This has been a revelation for me. It seems to be vastly more efficient than simple paper flashcareds. The program I am currently using is Memory Lifter 2.2, which has these advantages:

1. it is a free Windows program. So, with the correct unicode settings you can type Thai characters into it.

2. when testing vocabulary it evaluates your typed Thai entry. So your Thai spelling errors will get corrected. As an added plus, you will simultaneously learn to touch type in Thai provided that you always use the correct finger for each key. It is also possible to change the evaluation method from typed entry to self-confirmation which is more useful when testing in the Thai -> English direction since you don't want to be evaluated on typing errors of a lengthy English definition.

3. unlike prepackaged selections of Thai vocabulary flash cards, you create the deck yourself so that you can add the vocabulary from the book you are using one chapter at a time. Cards can also be imported from a file.

However, I am not sure that Memory Lifter has implemented the Leitner method exactly correctly. For one thing, Leitner used 5 boxes for partitioning the cards according to how well they have been learned, box 1 being the least well-learned. ML has 10 boxes for some unknown reason. Also, when testing, ML jumps around among the boxes rather than concentrating on the lower numbered ones. If indeed ML has not correctly implemented the Leitner method that would cause me to abandon it for a better program despite its other advantages.

Does anyone have a recommendation for flash card software implementing the Leitner method correctly?

I have no idea about the technical details, but the most popular ones for Thai are Anki and Byki (just put either word in Google and you'll get there...). Byki is more flashy, but if you want to make your own cards you'll have to pay for it. Anki is totally free and therefore the only choice for me; you can also add sound to the cards too. I have already used it with some success and have big plans for incorporating it more widely into my self-learning programme.

Softwater

I have no idea about the technical details, but the most popular ones for Thai are Anki and Byki (just put either word in Google and you'll get there...). Byki is more flashy, but if you want to make your own cards you'll have to pay for it. Anki is totally free and therefore the only choice for me; you can also add sound to the cards too. I have already used it with some success and have big plans for incorporating it more widely into my self-learning programme.

Softwater

I would like to avoid paying because there is so much free software out there. I looked at Anki, but it doesn't test typing the answer, only by self-grading. In the modern world being able to touch-type correctly spelled Thai is more important than being able to write it by hand. After all, I never hand write anything in English any more. Also, Anki doesn't seem to implement the Leitner method, but has its own algorithm for spacing repetitions.

Softwater

I would like to avoid paying because there is so much free software out there. I looked at Anki, but it doesn't test typing the answer, only by self-grading. In the modern world being able to touch-type correctly spelled Thai is more important than being able to write it by hand. After all, I never hand write anything in English any more. Also, Anki doesn't seem to implement the Leitner method, but has its own algorithm for spacing repetitions.

Well, you're probably right about Leitner - like I said, the technical details are lost on me, so that may rule it out for you. However, you can set Anki to allow typing input in the answer, and it will highlight the mistakes just as you require. If you want to use Anki and set it up like this, send me a PM and I'll outline the steps for you.