Diamond Ring

onnut

I want to suprise my wife with a diamond ring.

where is a good safe place to buy one in Bangkok?

I do not know what my budget is yet as I have no idea how much to expect to spend. but I do know that she like white gold.

can anyone please give me some pointers on what to look out for?

thank you

I do not know what my budget is yet as I have no idea how much to expect to spend. but I do know that she like white gold.

thank you

the real suprise will be when you have it checked/valued when you get back to the real world

http://www.bangkokscams.com/scams-in-bangk...#jc_allComments

white gold is fantastic, certainly for the price. and it's a heckuva lot cheaper than Platinum. just remember, if she's got a platinum band on another finger and she puts on the white gold next to it, you will get a hint of yellow from the white gold. just a heads up.

i have a white gold wedding band that i get resprayed or whatever the heck they do with it. once a year. always looks beautiful.

other than that, i have no answers on where to get some white gold in BKK, sorry :)

You guys are so mean. What you say is true, but not helping.

I have a bias against diamonds. Compared to its actual rarity, diamonds are vastly over price do to market manipulation by De Beers.

http://www.halfsigma.com/2006/11/the_diamond_sca.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ld_entitle.html

But, the manipulation of society across the world has been successful. Women now really do crave diamonds and they have indeed become a symbol of prosperity.

Anyways, I have had the same problems. I feel very confident when I buy gold jewelry that I am getting a fair deal from most stores but when I want to buy colored stones or a diamond (even I will do so occasionally) I am sure that I can not obtain the necessary skill to judge the stone for appropriate value in a reasonable amount of time/effort.

Supposedly, if you shop at a certified dealer i.e. Jewel Fest Club or the Thai Gem and Jewellery Traders Association (TGJTA). You can get 80% of you money back with in 30 day.

But, the manipulation of society across the world has been successful. Women now really do crave diamonds and they have indeed become a symbol of prosperity.

Remember when I bought "the Ring" for my wife with one diamond and six rubies.

All her friends wanted to have a look and the first question was "how may Baht gold is it" :)

Supposedly, if you shop at a certified dealer i.e. Jewel Fest Club or the Thai Gem and Jewellery Traders Association (TGJTA). You can get 80% of you money back with in 30 day.

yes, they love the 20% profit for no investment.

You guys are so mean. What you say is true, but not helping.

I have a bias against diamonds. Compared to its actual rarity, diamonds are vastly over price do to market manipulation by De Beers.

http://www.halfsigma.com/2006/11/the_diamond_sca.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ld_entitle.html

Anyways, I have had the same problems. I feel very confident when I buy gold jewelry that I am getting a fair deal from most stores but when I want to buy colored stones or a diamond (even I will do so occasionally) I am sure that I can not obtain the necessary skill to judge the stone for appropriate value in a reasonable amount of time/effort.

Its all BS dude.

Unless you are planning on going bankrupt at some point, the ring will be passed from generation to generation. Therefore, its "true value" is zero. Its not an appreciating investment, its not even an investment that you will ever recuperate. Its a just a material possession, but those things matter to girls so just do what it takes to make her happy relative to your financial position.

Mine settled on a heart shaped ring. Its very very popular with the other women in this world, definitely good value in terms of her happiness versus expenditure.

Edited by RogerSterling1

Whats the Cartier experience like? We went in there in Macau, it was just a bunch of old ladies and the experience seemed nothing special. Rings were super expensive, I guess because the coloring is supposed to be really good.

Actually, have never bought at Cartier, but I would assume it would be similar to the Tiffany and Co. experience (unfortunately there isn't one in Bangkok) we had in Singapore (Raffles). Just courteous service with a hint of brown nosing, nothing pushy, no sales tactics (none noticeable anyway). Nothing like the overplayed stuff in the movies. Only a customer or two in the store. Yes, expensive, and you can get the exact same thing in Chinatown from grandma Yang while she keeps one hand on the .38 under the counter.

Hard to describe, but the missus certainly enjoyed it, and she most certainly understands diamond economics ("it's a waste, but I really love it"). It's the only item in her safe she gets out once in awhile to look at, and outside of watches the only piece of jewelry I've ever purchased for her. The rest she's more than content to have her maid clean.

:)

About 5 years back I was shopping at a well known "branded" jewelry store. The store was "known" for quality etc etc.

So I was looking over their rings, diamonds and things & I found a ring I thought my wife would really like.

Now, when I was a kid in High School I worked at a jewelry store & I learned about the business and what to look for.

So I asked the sales lady, if they ever sell "used" jewelry and her reply was "Oh no, we would never do such a thing...."

She kept going on about their fine store, reputation etc etc...

So then I asked, well if you do not sell used jewelery, "Who is Linda?"

Then I showed her the name "Linda" that had been engraved in to the band, and neatly covered up by the price tag!!!!!

I told her I would take the ring for 80% off other wise I would not buy her used jewelry that she tried to pawn off on me.

(I should have told her I worked for the news paper)

Any how she refused to sell the ring to me at 80% off, so as I left the store I said, "Don't forget to buff off Linda's name."

The reality is, those "in the business" have huge conventions and commonly swap jewelery there, I do not doub't Linda's ring was aquired at one of these events.

In an effort to give you a useful response to your post I will tell you my experience. I recently got married and wanted to purchase a diamond engagement ring for my wife. Obviously having heard all the scams I was extremely paranoid and worried I would be ripped off. All I can advise you is to take as much care as possible and shop around.

I started by looking in the Bangkok Guide published by the ANZ Women's Group. There is a section on shopping that lists jewellery stores that are apparently reputable. I visited a few of them and asked about prices and types of diamond - colour cut, etc. Once I thought I knew the market I looked at online prices for a similar thing in Australia to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off at the outset. Having decided what I wanted to get I chose the person who I felt seemed reputable - obviously this is tough, but things like whether they pressure you to buy something or try and talk you into spending more money or are recommended by a Tuk Tuk driver should be good signs that they are trying to screw you over. Still it's impossible to tell, but I figured my impressions coupled with the Guide's recommendations were a good basis.

In the end I ordered a 0.55 Carat E Colour, Internally Flawless solitaire in a platinum setting. Total cost paid was 118,000 Baht. The shop I dealt with were very helpful and made a wax mould of the setting first to test the size and make sure that we liked it. The diamond itself was laser etched on the side and had a certificate. I checked the numbers and the certificate to make sure they corresponded and that the certificatel looked legit, not like the certificate had been churned out on an inkjet printer, but rather professionally produced with embossing etc (Obviously this could be faked if they really wanted to).

The final product was fantastic. It doesn't have any hallmarks, so you may not do well to resell it, but it wasn't being bought for an investment, it was just something we wanted. The workmanship was great, not perfect, but not far off and exactly what we wanted.

Still trusting nobody, we got it valued in Australia and the valuation confirmed what the women at the shop had told us regarding it's construction materials and quality of diamond. Incidentally the valuation came in at approximately twice what we paid for it, but we didn't buy it to sell and we didn't really care, we just wanted to make sure we got what we paid for.

Moral of the story is that you can buy jewellery in Bangkok and not get done over, just be very careful, remember the scams and make sure you keep your wits about you.

she already has one white gold diamond ring, but with a few small diamonds set in. I think she would rather have just the one stone in this ring this time. I have been promising her for nearly 4 years that when I can afford it I will get her one. so I have to now and I was just hoping for some info to help me not get ripped off.

thanks for the answers even the funny ones, :)

Osmosis, I must of posted this the same time as you posted yours. thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experiance. where was the shop if you do not mind me asking?

Edited by onnut

It would probably be cheaper for you to fly to Dubai and buy one there with an authentication certificate etc. than to buy one in Bangkok.

I got my missus a diamond when there and when she inquired about the price of the same size and quality here it was 4 times the price.

My wife and I upgraded our rings a while back (when reaching an even number of years of marriage too) and went with white gold, stones on hers. I must say that I prefer the white gold ring better than the yellow one we first bought when married. It just looks better on my minor suntanned white hands...:)

Do your research about diamond grades and prices. Most of the value of a "standard" diamond ring will be in the diamond, not the setting. A well-cut diamond of X grade and Y color will be have the same value, regardless of the brag factor of Tiffiny, et.al. All other things being equal (4 'C's" and type), diamonds are diamonds.

Make an arrangement to take the stone to Tokyo Labs in BKK for certs .. keep good control over it .. make the final transaction before the stone gets back to the dealer.

Find a goldsmith/jeweler that you can trust and have them set your stone.

• 3 weeks later...
Osmosis, I must of posted this the same time as you posted yours. thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experiance. where was the shop if you do not mind me asking?

Sorry I took so long to reply, I should have checked this thread. The shop we went to was near Phaya Thai BTS station in the Patumwan Resort complex. PM me if you want and I will try and find their full details.

thank you

Hey Onnut

If you are intereste I can PM you the details of one shop in MBK

I bought a piece a couple of years ago at a nice price

But then again it depends what quality you are looking for as some people could not care less about the grade, colour etc...

• 3 weeks later...