Power Fluctuations

astral

Over the last week of so there have been reports of electric power fluctuations

in the Pattaya area, with fans speeding up for 10-15 minutes at a time and then

settling back to normal.

Has anyone experienced any permanent equipment damage?

Has anyone reported it to the Electricity Authority and got a sensible explanation?

Had them in Jomtien as well... My PC handled them without a hitch but I tought my screen (17"lcd Benq) had blown. Luckily it just seems to go in some protection mode and lights up again after a few minutes :o

Time to go buy a UPS again, my old one broke down and didn't find the time to replace it yet...

No other damage done I guess...

Expecting a "sensible explenation" from a government organization????

Wishfull thinking I'm afraid :D:D

Just bought 2 1000w Voltage stabalizers, One for the P.A equipment and one for the stage amps.

Last week I installed an Ultracurve processor and new compressors etc, One power surge later and 50k's worth of sound equipment is broken :o

Luckily they replaced them under warrenty.

:D

Are there 'good' UPS or 'cheap and nasty' UPS I see in Carrefour that they vary in price from 1300-2900.

Will they prevent damage to computers from all surges? What about lightning strikes?

Do power surges affect transformers 19 volt I think for laptop? My transformer runs very hot...is that normal?

I heard that lightning is bad for phone line connections. Do you all unplug during a storm?

So many questions; so little time...

I certainly unplug my modem from the telephone line during storms.

I have lost two modem through stikes on the overhead lines.

I've taken to unplugging just about everything, TV, DVD player, computer. I have surge protectors, but they aren't very good when there isn't a grounding plug in the wall socket !

Every time I turn around, the stuff I buy has the 3rd "ground" plug, but my wall sockets have the usual 2 prong holes.

I can imagine the response if I ask my landlady if the building is grounded :o

Powersurge protectors simoly don't work if you don't have a grounded plug. They work by diverting any surges to this ground. No ground and the surge can't go anywhere except your equipment :o

A good ups certainly works and doesn't need a grounded plug. If it detects anything out of the ordinary it just starts producing its own electricity from its battery and feeds that to the equipment, no direct link from the plug to your equipment...

I had 1 direct lightning strike on an electricity line outside a while back, blew up several light bulbs, the compressor of my fridge and my ups :D My equipment behind the ups survived though...