A Wild Day Trip To Khao Yai And Wang Nam Kiao.

BigBikeBKK

A wild day trip to Khao Yai and Wang Nam Kiao. Ninja 650R and ER6n

Good Fun!

Yamaha R1, Triumph Tiger, Ducati Monster, Kawasaki Ninja 650R and Kawasaki ER6n.

Rendezvous at the Petronas on Ramkamhaeng-

110309RideSm.jpg

Gas stop just before the south entrance to Khao Yai National Park-

110309Ride3Sm.jpg

Crazy windstorm blew down tons of trees in the park blocking the road and closing the park, so we headed east on the 33 and north on the 304 to Wang Nam Kiao. As we climbed the mountain the winds dies down and the temperature dropped dramatically. Up at the top there were many Thais dressed in full winter gear! :)

The road from Wang Nam Kiao to the north gate of Khao Yai National Park never fails to put a big smile on my face. :D

Stopped at the reservoir to let a couple of laggards catch up-

110309Ride4Sm.jpg

Hmmm... they are taking their time... I'm starting to get a bit concerned... Ah! Here they are! Uh oh- :D

110309ER6nSm.jpg

Oh dear, my beloved ER6n is not looking so happy... :D

110309ER6n1Sm.jpg

Well, good thing she's not mine anymore! :D Fortunately the damage is all cosmetic and the new owner will get her patched up at Kawasaki today. I'm guessing it will only set him back a few thousand Baht.

Reached the Thanarat Road (2090) at the North Gate of Khao Yai National Park a little after noon and we were all quite hungry. Had a great meal at a nice road side restaurant- bill for 5 hungry bikers came to a little over 500 Baht! :D

The National Park was now open so we decided to check it out. Wow- what a mess!!!

110309Ride7Sm.jpg

Normally it take about 45 minutes to drive through the park. Yesterday it took well over an hour on account of all of the trees that had been blown down and the litter on the road. Pretty impressed how quickly they were able to re-open the road.

110309Ride6Sm.jpg

Some of the trees were HUGE! and many were still blocking the road forcing us to go around on the soft shoulder which was 'interesting' :D

I should have taken more pictures, but we wanted to get back to Bangkok before dark! Here's a good one-

110309Ride8Sm.jpg

Despite Dr. G assuring us that there was only a 10% chance of rain yesterday it began to mist in the park which then turned into a steady rain as we were heading back into Bangkok. Rather miserable as none of us were prepared for it, but fortunately we all made it back in one piece! :D

Looking forward to the Bangsaen Bike Rally this weekend!

http://www.bangsaenbikeweek.com/

bangsaen09.gif

Hope to see many of you there! 130.gif

Happy Trails!

Tony 125.gif

The way up the plateau, then through wang nam kieo, into the northern khao yai gate is probably on of the most beautiful in thailand.

Looking from wang nam kieo into khao yai, you can actually see the rain clouds forming from within khao yai and rolling out over the mountains into the surrounding areas.

But i HATE 304 or was that 305 i hate, anyway its the road that leads to chachoengsao.

The way up the plateau, then through wang nam kieo, into the northern khao yai gate is probably on of the most beautiful in thailand.

Looking from wang nam kieo into khao yai, you can actually see the rain clouds forming from within khao yai and rolling out over the mountains into the surrounding areas.

But i HATE 304 or was that 305 i hate, anyway its the road that leads to chachoengsao.

Cheers!

Give the 304 another try- it used to be in terrible shape going up the mountain but it's been completely re-paved and is now very nice. Another tip, go during the week when there is hardly any traffic. On Tuesday we pretty much had the roads all to ourselves- it was awesome!

Ride On!

Tony

The part of 304 I hated was the long tedious boring ride that leads back into Bangkok, missed a turn last time and ended up extending the trip by 3 hours.

Getting there though I go through some backroads starting at the end of Ramkhamhaeng, passing through Nong Chok slighty and taking some farm roads through chachoengsao, going this way is also green and plush.

I take the Wang nam kieo route going towars the Korat plateau going back into Bangkok, downhill...This part of the ride i love...I think its even better than actual Khao Yai.

I still haven't been able to find that dam_n bat cave somewhere around wang nam kieo.

Edited by Powerband

Are my eyes going, or does the R1 have a slick back tyre?

Your eyes need a check up.

They are not slicks.

They just look extremely worn :)

Tony, are you sure the trees didn't blow down due to your passing them at high speeds? You don't need to blame it on the weather ya know, we're not tree huggers here.