Baby Boys Name And Registration

MrJay

My misses and I will be welcoming our new son into Issan in around 6 weeks time and i have a few names already,taking into consideration the way Thai people pronounce western names,but every time i give her a name she laughs or cannot pronounce the name.Im from the uk and was looking at names like Lewis or samuel and i thought this is a nice name in the uk with niknames as Lewy or Sammy but she doesnt think so.

Can you think of any Boys names that would be appropriate in Issan as well as the uk one day.

The misses also tells me i've got to get my passport translated to Thai for the boys registration,is this so? i've had a look in the Thai visa archives and cannot find any topic.My location is Nongki the little town before Nangrong,If i do have to translate the passport could my local Thai consulate in hull do this?.

Any names or ideas and info on passport translation registration would be greatly appreciated. Thanx MrJay.

My children are named according to what I believe to be Thai tradition - appropriate names are chosen by the local monk favoured by the family, and one is selected

I got to bestow the nickname/everyday name......

Enjoy the birth etc it will be fun...... :)

My wifes latest grandchild is a boy who is all Thai and he was given the same name as a very important person i my family. They named him after my son who is all Swedish. They did not consult me beforehand. The boy was given the name Christian which you easily shorten to Chris or whatever you like. :D:D

Good luck with the child and many happy years. My son is now 39 years old and we are still friends. :):D

Edited by JanAndersLarsson

Very Happy for you.

The name you wish to call your son is up to you and your wife, but nothing that would deem offensive to all things Thai.

My niece is named ( translated) "Ice Cream" and another "Pink".

Its a good idea to have translated and notorised copies of your passport at hand , if the hospital/doctor asks for it so as they will able to make your sons birth cert in your family name.

Is that ok "thailaw" ?

I did,nt have a notorised copy of my passport at hand upon the birth of our first child ,so she was entered on her birth cert in her mothers family name, as we were not married then either.

But we are now and have two beautiful girls and both their names are as my family name, not the Thai family name.

Note.......if the birth cert is made out with your son under the Thai family name it cannot be changed, on the birth cert, later.

Well done and congratulations.

Edited by soihok

you might want to consider Nukrob,, you can use the name Rob in the UK. This is the name of my nephew and I always thought it was a good name, i don't have any children yet, but dont think i will use that one since we have a nephew named this. Other wise I would consider as it seems like a mix thai-english name already. Hope this helps.. Good luck and Congrad!!!!

It depends on your surname.

My surname is Arcari (Italian) my son is called Vincenzo and my daughter Amelia and the missus's family have no problem saying their names and when we got our son's Thai passport the name was translated in to Thai no problem. When our son was born my wife told me that it was the head of the house who picked the childrens names but when our daughter was born I wanted my wife to give her a Thai name but she didn't want to and so I picked her name. As I understand it most Thai people, especialy woman, never use their full Christian name anyway and all have a nickname.

Brigante7.

For anybody's interest and as there are people on here who dont know why....the reason Thai people all have a nick name as well as there given name, is to confuse the evil spirits and therefore offer the baby extra protection from any harm. It isnt the same as just shortening a name like ferangs do.

HL :)

Our boy is due in March, and I have of course given this a lot of thought and research as well. In the end, I am going with a completely English name. I have been an expat in Asia for over 20yrs now, and one thing I have come to realize, is that a 'half' will never be a true Japanese/Thai in the eyes of the natives. Luk Krung, Half,Guidoi you name it, they have a separate category and will ALWAYS be treated as such. So if my kid is going to get the hassle of being a Farang, then he should have a Farang name. In my culture he will be accepted as he is, an Australian, so no use putting my family through the difficulty of having to learn how to pronounce Kongkesorn Jamlong Wittayapong or something. His nick name can be a Thai one, what's the difference?

Oz

Im from the uk and was looking at names like Lewis or samuel and i thought this is a nice name in the uk with niknames as Lewy or Sammy but she doesnt think so.

I can understand that your wife did not go for "Rewit" :)

Perhaps "Sam" would be ok?

Congratulations, I'm sure you will come up with something suitable :D

Cheers,

Mike

Thai boy name of Anucha (ch pronounced as sh), meaning younger one. We have 3 children and I've never had to show a translated copy of my passport when registering them. Good luck and I hope your newby isn't as vocal as my 3.

PS. No nicknames for any of my children, much to the dislike of the Thais.

Edited by sinbin

Thank you all so far for your time and useful comments,which i will take into consideration over the next few weeks.

A Little Update:

This morning the misses piped up what about "David" which she pronounced very easily,I said where did that come from,she says my dad came up with the name,possibly from the david beckham days as he used to rant about him quite alot then again when i thought about it Thais asked me where i came from i'd say Manchester there instant reply was always oh David Beckham number 1,so all Thais know this name and have no probs with pronouncing it,my only concern is he dont get the nikname becks.

So it might be David the misses and her family like the name i like the name but never thought much of it has its a widely used name in the uk,anyway theres still 3 weeks to go,and regarding registration of the young one.

Soihok posted if the birth cert is made out with your son under the Thai family name it cannot be changed, on the birth cert, later.

So it makes sense getting my passoprt translated to thai to be on the safe side just in case they cannot understand it up here in the boonies i was once in nongki hospital and i remember they struggled understanding my passport then.

Thanx again everyone...Mr Jay

So it makes sense getting my passoprt translated to thai to be on the safe side just in case they cannot understand it up here in the boonies i was once in nongki hospital and i remember they struggled understanding my passport then.

Thanx again everyone...Mr Jay

They probably struggled with your passport because they're an hospital and not an immigration office. As for registering your baby at the Amphur, that should be straight forward as you won't be the first farang they've dealt with. My 3 children are registered in Nang Rong, about 24km from Nong Ki, their birth town. No translated copy of passport shown. I'm sorry to say but 'Soihok' is not correct in saying the 'name cannot be changed later'.You have 15 days after registering the the baby in the town of it's birth before you have to register it at your local Amphur for Tambien Baan purposes. You can change it's name anytime within those 15 days without any problem. After that 15 days you can still change the baby's name, but you have to go through a paper trail. Your wife/girlfriend knows the rules.

It's an accepted thing in Thailand for people to change their names many times in their life. Usually it's because life isn't going to well for them that they will go and see the local 'spiritualist quack'. He/she will tell them "change your name and you'll then be a different person" as this may encourage a better life by starting again.

Is you baby being born in Korat, Nong Ki or Nang Rong by the way ?

Edited by sinbin

Hi there Sinbin thanx for your reply,I will go along with your info.

Has for the birth the misses has been traveling to nangrong monthly to a clinic there,she wants the baby at the hospital in Nang rong the big one on the left hand side half way in i dont know the name,We have a few friends who have had there babys there and they rate the place.I have actually just found out the birth will be by Caesarean,I arrive back in just over 2 weeks and the babys due around 15th dec so it gives me a little time to run around.

How long have you been in Nang rong Sinbin,I usually spend alot of time down there and know a few lads i used to have a beer at marks little place on the grounds of hotel california until he moved,maybe we've met.Ive been comin and goin for 7 years i like Nangrong bit more lively than Nongki.

Hi there Sinbin thanx for your reply,I will go along with your info.

Has for the birth the misses has been traveling to nangrong monthly to a clinic there,she wants the baby at the hospital in Nang rong the big one on the left hand side half way in i dont know the name,We have a few friends who have had there babys there and they rate the place.I have actually just found out the birth will be by Caesarean,I arrive back in just over 2 weeks and the babys due around 15th dec so it gives me a little time to run around.

How long have you been in Nang rong Sinbin,I usually spend alot of time down there and know a few lads i used to have a beer at marks little place on the grounds of hotel california until he moved,maybe we've met.Ive been comin and goin for 7 years i like Nangrong bit more lively than Nongki.

Mr Jay your missus is going to use the Government hospital, good for her. It's where all 3 of mine were born. If she's using the female doctor then you will be allowed in to see the birth. I was, and was allowed to take photo's, no restrictions on which end.

I don't live in Nang Rong, I'll PM you the exact place. Good luck.

Edited by sinbin

Prehaps I was,nt so clear in the post.

What I mean is once the birth cert has been issued with the childs name on it, a new birth cert will not be issued once the name is changed later with the new name on it. My personnel experience only of this.

Name can be changed any time at the Amphur office.....did it with the wife and first child.

But name on the birth cert remains the same.....its no big deal really.

What I mean is once the birth cert has been issued with the childs name on it, a new birth cert will not be issued once the name is changed later with the new name on it. My personnel experience only of this.

Name can be changed any time at the Amphur office.....did it with the wife and first child.

You are correct on that point 'soihok'. Sorry I had to correct you earlier.

My son has a Thai first name, western middle name & Thai surname but he is called Sunny by everyone as his nickname.

Like another poster said, Thais generally dont use their real, given name to confuse bad spirits.

My sons Thai first name is not so long or confusing to pronounce for westerners in case he chose to use it in the future as is his western middle name ieasy for Thai to pronounce if he chooses to use that in the future instead.

My son has a Thai first name, western middle name & Thai surname but he is called Sunny by everyone as his nickname.

Like another poster said, Thais generally dont use their real, given name to confuse bad spirits.

My sons Thai first name is not so long or confusing to pronounce for westerners in case he chose to use it in the future as is his western middle name ieasy for Thai to pronounce if he chooses to use that in the future instead.

I choose that route also...

You are correct on that point 'soihok'. Sorry I had to correct you earlier.

No need for an apology, its good that you did it ,, and makes more sense for the OP.

Cheers