Daft Question?

I know this might be a stupid question but in the summer myself and my thai wife r going to go to Thailand for a few weeks. Currently she has a 2 years marriage visa. So we r flying from Manchester via Dubai then 3 hour wait then onto Thailand,

She wont need any kind of visa for Dubai will she?

Also my brother is getting married in Italy and obviously we want to go and were just wondering how hard it would be for her to get a visa for Italy to stay for 1 week.

Thanks everyone.

P.s

Scouse I wait for your reply! :o

One thing I can reply to, your wife (neither you) wont need a visa in Dubai.

Seems to me, you are on an Emirates-flight. Arrive Dubai, follow the transit signs, pass through a security check point, and you are in the transit/departure hall.

Spend the 3 hours with shopping (window shopping is cheaper :o ) and off you go. The boarding passes Dubai-BKK you will usually get already in Manchester.

Visa for Italy? Other might know better than me, but her 2-years UK-visa would be a strong indication that she will not stay in Italy, a primary condition to get a Shengen visit-visa.

Have a look here and esp. point 6 for a start (you can also click the Manchester details on this page)

http://www.embitaly.org.uk/visa/visainfo.htm

Edited by Axel

Hi Makavelli,

In theory your wife should be able to get a family permit for Italy as she is married to an EU national. This is free and issued upon production of your passport, your wife's passport and your marriage certificate. However, some EU countries don't appear to play ball and they may insist that she applies for a normal visa for which you'll have to pay. Even if you do have to do this there should be no problem with her getting the visa because, as Axel posted, she is evidently settled in the UK.

Just make sure that Dubai doesn’t require a Thai national to have transit visa. Many countries require Thai PP holders to get visas, even if they want to transit.

While they many not necessarily be checked by immigration there, the airline won’t let them board until they see one. Best bet is to go to the Emirates website and they have an application which gives you visa requirements for all nationalities, based on the type of travel they are doing.

I and my Thai wife travelled to and from Italy last Dec/Jan via Dubai on Emirates and she could go through the transit without any problem. No passport checking except at the baggage X ray point when going down to the departure lounge.