Camping Around Thailand

bangkoklondoner

there are no camping places in thailand, as in europe or the other places - you should not park anywhere you wish, for security at night.

if there are only 2 of you, than bus/train - when larger group it's better off rent a car, minivan (even with a driver)

Rent a cheap car and explore the Thailand that is unavailable to the mass herds who are transported by planes, trains and automobiles and busses. Thailand is a lovely country to venture off the beaten path.

If you decide to rent a car then go to this website: www.dnp.go.th It is the site for all the national parks in Thailand. You can then plan on camping at various parks around Thailand. Camping gear, including tents, can be rented in all the bigger parks in Thailand. One place we go often to camp is Khao Yai. As others have mentioned I have never seen RV's or campers in Thailand.

Rent a cheap car and explore the Thailand that is unavailable to the mass herds who are transported by planes, trains and automobiles and busses. Thailand is a lovely country to venture off the beaten path.

If you decide to rent a car then go to this website: www.dnp.go.th It is the site for all the national parks in Thailand. You can then plan on camping at various parks around Thailand. Camping gear, including tents, can be rented in all the bigger parks in Thailand. One place we go often to camp is Khao Yai. As others have mentioned I have never seen RV's or campers in Thailand.

NO caravan sites as we know them in OZ and in Europe and setting up camp yourself is downright lethal ! Remember some 15 years ago, a tourist couple were murdered in their VW Kombi by drunks and they had just pulled off the main highway,

I have never seen a campervan in Thailand :) I can just see it two first timers touring Thailand in a campervan they would not get out of Bangkok alive :D you better have loads of spare cash for the boys in brown :D .I do not know any camping sites apart from those in national parks I would dread to think what would happen to you if you were wild camping near a town in rural Thailand :D

No camping in Thailand, that's funny. Camping season in the national parks starts now with end of the rainy season is picking up. Yes vehicle camping, RV's etc, are not common at all but there are people out there who have a successfully camo camped. Meaning they used a pickup with a large aluminum topper that looked like the very common cargo trucks, added some simple beds and easily found fans with solar panels. Said owners still took up accommodation in the 150 to 200 baht guesthouses often, but if during their slow paced exploring found themselves on a mountain top or deep in a park they didn't hesitate to sleep in the truck.

Taken by a friend this November 11th near Pai;

DSC01078.jpg

http://www.dnp.go.th/index_eng.asp English version, works well combined with http://www.mapguidethailand.com/home/map.php?l=th

One of the Queen's projects near Doi Inthanon, taken on the 12th of this month

100_2820.JPG

This Hobbit house does cost 900 baht per person, but with all meals included.

Edited by Fishenough