Govt Ready To Fly Thais Out Of Cambodia

webfact

IF TIES WORSEN

Govt ready to fly Thais out of Cambodia

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY,

THAI NEWS AGENCY

Published on November 15, 2009

Thailand is preparing to evacuate its citizens from Cambodia if the diplomatic row between the countries worsens, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday.

"The arrest of a Thai national will not lead to closure of the embassy [in Phnom Penh]. The Thai government will ensure security for the Cambodian Embassy in Thailand and we believe Cambodia will also take care of our embassy in that country," Suthep said.

"If bilateral relations become more violent, the government is ready to evacuate Thai citizens from Cambodia immediately," he added.

In early 2003, the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh was burnt by rioters and several Thai-owned businesses in Cambodia were attacked following a rumour that a Thai actress had claimed the Angkor Wat temple - Cambodia's prized cultural icon - belonged to Thailand. An evacuation of Thai citizens followed the riots.

Suthep said the government had provided legal assistance for a Thai engineer arrested in Cambodia last week on charges of spying.

Siwarak Chothipong, 31, who works at Cambodia Air Traffic Service, is accused of supplying the Thai Embassy with details of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra's flight schedule, according to Cambodian police.

Thailand submitted a request to visit the detained suspect, which was being considered by Cambodia's Interior Ministry, said officials from both countries.

"We have to see him, whatever happens," said Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to Thailand's foreign minister. "Thailand categorically denies all of the spy allegations."

There was no reply from the Cambodian authorities yesterday, he said, adding that it was probably because it was a holiday.

Suthep told journalists that flight information on Thaksin's journey to Cambodia was not a secret, as the Aviation Department and Aeronautical Radio of Thailand had been asked to allow his chartered jet to fly over Thai airspace.

After learning that the plane had Thaksin on board, the government refused to allow it permission to pass through Thai airspace as he has been convicted and was also facing charges of threatening national security, Suthep said.

The deputy prime minister said Thailand would use this evidence to defend Siwarak, but the government would not intervene in Cambodia's judicial system. Initially, Samart Corp - Siwarak's employer - sent a lawyer to assist him.

In Singapore, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that the ongoing diplomatic spat between Thailand and Cambodia would not affect cooperation among Asean members, emphasising that the problem must be solved by the two countries.

Abhisit, who is attending the 17th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum meeting, told journalists that Asean Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan had advised that Thailand and Cambodia should resolve the tension before the Asean leaders meet US President Barack Obama today.

He affirmed that Thailand, currently the Asean chair, would not raise the issue at the meeting.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly them out. :D.. A bunch of Phuea Thai and Red Shirts just took a bus to visit, and took a bus back. But yes, let's do a story on preparing air transport in this desperate, desperate situation for our Thai brothers and sisters who find themselves in in that horrid place. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It will be interesting to see where this goes next week when APEC is over. Thailand will be free to be harder but Thaksin has left Cambodia and with APEC over maybe Hun Sen will stop cranking things up. The rally today will also possibly influence things although unless it is of a humongous size which I doubt probably not too much.

It will be interesting to see where this goes next week when APEC is over. Thailand will be free to be harder but Thaksin has left Cambodia and with APEC over maybe Hun Sen will stop cranking things up. The rally today will also possibly influence things although unless it is of a humongous size which I doubt probably not too much.

Does anyone really care???

Edited by hardy1943

Fly them out. :D.. A bunch of Phuea Thai and Red Shirts just took a bus to visit, and took a bus back. But yes, let's do a story on preparing air transport in this desperate, desperate situation for our Thai brothers and sisters who find themselves in in that horrid place. :)

Tiffs like this can turn nasty quite quickly (the Thai embassy buring in 03) so any prudent government would do exactly the same, to prepare for the worse case scenario. If things do escalate further, Thai nationals will not be safe there.

Edited by Jingthing

Tiffs like this can turn nasty quite quickly (the Thai embassy buring in 03) so any prudent government would do exactly the same, to prepare for the worse case scenario. If things do escalate further, Thai nationals will not be safe there.

Only if the Thais continue the massive over reaction to something that was better ignored or at least dealt with at a much lower level.

A little real diplomacy and all could have been resolved, Thaksin has left, Hun Sen has had his fun winding up the Thai govt that he knew would bite hook line and sinker.

Quite amusing to watch and hopefully things will not be allowed to escalate but unfortunately at this time the Thais have their nose out of joint and are quite capable of doing something stupid-hopefully not!

When dealing with normally rational people, rational precaution levels are prudent,

when dealing with less rational people, ie unpredictable or scatter-shot types,

then a much higher standard of safety needs to be observed.

And a higher level of preparedness for the unexpected.

Edited by animatic

Whichever side that would be mostly to blame if the situation escalates, it is STILL prudent to prepare for citizen evacuation. I don't understand why that move can objectively be criticized. Again, ANY prudent government would do exactly the same.

I think the poster "Thailand" is right,

There were better ways of dealing with this. Cambodia has ruffled some feathers and the Thais can't deal with it. Reacting in a gun-boat diplomacy way was stupid. I think Cambodia knew how the Thai side would over react.

This is typical Thai again, overreacting and blowing things out of proportion, I be quite happy to go to Cambodia and have a nice holiday, the Cambodians must be laughing theyr heads of, I am sure Cambodian Newspapers will run comic strips on this issue.

Next the going to tell us, they have started to shoot Thais in the streets. As far as I know Cambodians are not as hotheaded as Thais that do things first and then think. :)

Fly them out. :D .. A bunch of Phuea Thai and Red Shirts just took a bus to visit, and took a bus back. But yes, let's do a story on preparing air transport in this desperate, desperate situation for our Thai brothers and sisters who find themselves in in that horrid place. :)

I think they it is typo. They mean they fly all the red folks to Cambodia :D

I think it's disgusting. Just like two little kids bickering over nothing. A tit for tat situation where each country has to have the last word. Eventually that mole hill becomes a mountain and no one is even sure what the original problem was.

Whichever side that would be mostly to blame if the situation escalates, it is STILL prudent to prepare for citizen evacuation. I don't understand why that move can objectively be criticized. Again, ANY prudent government would do exactly the same.

Of course. And they would do it quietly. Instead, we have a statement in The Nation that, if anything, can be construed as a further escalation. Let's read again, shall we:

"The Thai government will ensure security for the Cambodian Embassy in Thailand and we believe Cambodia will also take care of our embassy in that country," Suthep said. "If bilateral relations become more violent, the government is ready to evacuate Thai citizens from Cambodia immediately," he added.

This is a needless statment; of course one can never be too prepared in general, but this is a veiled hint at "relations becoming more violent". How do you suppoese that sounds to Cambodia, given all the military hardware Thailand is sitting on, along with some choice rants (no doubt) today from the PAD gettogether?

A problem with the gov't (and notjust this one) is that they advertise their every move as if that will, in fact, somehow be a deterrent. The anger and the hard feelings are on the part of Thailand. I doubt that the average Cambodian cares much about whether Thaksin is there or not. A reasonable, behind the scenese approach by the Thai gov't would have prevented much of this broo-haha.

This is typical Thai again, overreacting and blowing things out of proportion, I be quite happy to go to Cambodia and have a nice holiday, the Cambodians must be laughing theyr heads of, I am sure Cambodian Newspapers will run comic strips on this issue.

Next the going to tell us, they have started to shoot Thais in the streets. As far as I know Cambodians are not as hotheaded as Thais that do things first and then think. :)

Cambodians are not hotheaded?

Maybe you have forgotten.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2705621.stm

Next the going to tell us, they have started to shoot Thais in the streets. As far as I know Cambodians are not as hotheaded as Thais that do things first and then think. :D

Do they have newspaper in Cambodia?

As not hotheaded?!? Isn't this sh6t hole the only country in history who commited an auto-genocide :)

Next the going to tell us, they have started to shoot Thais in the streets. As far as I know Cambodians are not as hotheaded as Thais that do things first and then think. :D

As not hotheaded?!? Isn't this sh6t hole the only country in history who commited an auto-genocide :)

There was a country just of east of France that did the same thing, and many others, unfortunately.

yeah cambodians not hot headed, thats a good one i would guess that 2 million or so would argue that point......if they were still able to :):D

Strange to me that they not allowed the plane of a convicted fugitive to pass through thai airspace.In other country's they would just hope on an opportunity like this so they could send some jets into the sky and make the plane land.Am I missing something?

If things do escalate further, Thai nationals will not be safe there.

About a year ago, following one of the PV border skirmishes that saw a couple of Cambodian soldiers get shot, the situation reached its lowest point and the situation in Cambodia was for a couple of days, a bit tense for Thais. Oh - I'm an American with a Thai wife with a business in Siem Reap. My wife is one of a couple of hundred Thais living and working there. A fairly high ranking officer in the immigration police arrived at our guesthouse where we also live, he was making the rounds to all Thais registered as living in Siem Reap. He informed us that the police were taking the situation very seriously and that if we experienced any problems, harassment, threats, what-have-you, to call him immediately and police would deal with it. He then reassured us that Cambodia and Cambodians wished no problems for Thais, this was a military issue, and let's all hope the problem goes away quickly.

I wonder if the Thai government/police will extend the same courtesies to the Cambodians living and working in Thailand?

As for the present situation, I can't speak directly because we are in Thailand as my wife just had a baby, but if past situations are anything to go on, your average Cambodian is 1) wishing the situation would go away quickly and quietly 2) laughing at the Thai government (again) and 3) worried that the problem won't go away quickly because once again - when elephants fight, ants get trampled.

Isn't this sh6t hole the only country in history who commited an auto-genocide

Mod, can this guy get banned for this? Can I say what I *really* feel without getting banned myself? What an utterly ridiculous, racist, and totally insensitive, moronic thing to say... (that's only half of what I want to say...)

There was a country just of east of France that did the same thing, and many others, unfortunately.

I said AUTO- genocide meaning same ethnic group killing each others

Not comparable... this was unique.

Abhisit and his govt are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

All those who are jumping up and down on this forum saying how he has over-reacted to Hun Sen's almighty show of disrespect to this nation, would be jumping up and down saying he was weak and lacked power, had he not reacted.

You obviously know little about Cambodia , but you make silly remarks and are wrong on all counts , just keep your head in the sand and all will be well . There are many Thai working here , right next door in fact , carrying on just like normal , leave the people alone and they will just ignore the childish actions of both governments , at street level have not heard one comment about Thaksin , the majority would not have a clue who or what he is and most likely not care any-way , just keep flipping the burgers and making a living .

Strange to me that they not allowed the plane of a convicted fugitive to pass through thai airspace.In other country's they would just hope on an opportunity like this so they could send some jets into the sky and make the plane land.Am I missing something?

I think if you were to do that, and you were to threaten to fire at his plane were it not to land, you would have to be prepared to act on that threat. No use making threats that you can't keep, just makes you look weak.

Shooting down and killing not just Thaksin, but all the crew and passengers on that plane, would be disastrous, and not only from a humanitarian point of view. It's the sort of an idea that were Thaksin is power though, just might fly (pun not intended).

One must keep in perspective the underlying forces to this so-called Thai-Cambodia problem.

Historically there are numerous instances of insecure Governments and Dictators creating external enemies and an internal siege mentality in order to bolster their security.

So in effect, it is very much in this Govt's. interest to inflame this stuff as much as possible, but not too much. Just enough to create impressions. Talk of citizen evacuation serves that purpose very well.

So for everyone to "get their shirt in a knot" about this, is excellent from the Govts. perspective. It gives credence to this charade.

I said AUTO- genocide meaning same ethnic group killing each others

Not comparable... this was unique.

Yes it was indeed unique. But to assume that this represents a characteristic of all Cambodians is a racist, ignorant, disgusting thing to say.

For those crying overreaction what should th egovernment have done when a convicted criminal ex-politican sought for extradition(technically all of this is fact whether you or I like it) was appointed government adviser by a neighbouring country? Consider too that the Cambodian ambassadort was summoned to explain why and refused to go or sens a deputy which is quite an amazing lack of protocol and also very challenging. The recall of the ambassador was the logical step in diplomatic prootocl after the neighbouring country refused to discuss the issue.

Think for a minute if for example madoof nipped over to Mexico and was appopinted a government adviser and then the mexican ambassador refused to explain why.

Anyway I await expalantion of what the Thai government should have done and an explanation that would logically fit with what other countries would have done under similar circumstances, and just ignored it is a niave answer as no country would have done. That Thailand tried to take a lesser form of escalation but Cambodia amazingly refused an ambassadorial summons remains a fact.

There are many things I dont condone about what both countries have done but arguing that Thailand overreacted by recalling the ambassador is wrong and this now seems to have been accepted by many based on the Cambodian refusal. Everything after this stage was tit-for-tat in diplomatic terms and has been reported so by outside media.

One must keep in perspective the underlying forces to this so-called Thai-Cambodia problem.

Historically there are numerous instances of insecure Governments and Dictators creating external enemies and an internal siege mentality in order to bolster their security.

So in effect, it is very much in this Govt's. interest to inflame this stuff as much as possible, but not too much. Just enough to create impressions. Talk of citizen evacuation serves that purpose very well.

So for everyone to "get their shirt in a knot" about this, is excellent from the Govts. perspective. It gives credence to this charade.

Ditto in Hun Sen who regularly uses natiuonalism to keep his ratings high especiually as he always faces criticism for closeness to Vietnam whihc he can hardly deny and who are another traditional enemy of Cambodia. There really is little point seeing this entirely in temrs of the present Thai government there are other issues here too, more than I mention here