Er-6n Silencing

nikster

I know... most of you guys want it as loud as possible, probably from riding loud bikes for decades which destroyed your hearing... or because it's so much fun to scare the locals.

Anyway, love my ER-6n but it's too loud (stock can). More precisely, it's too loud when I keep it in the interesting RPM range from 7k - 11k for long periods, as I am wont to do... whenever I can :)

How can I make it quieter? Do I need a new muffler? Earplugs are so inconvenient...

Edited by nikster

Look at the airbox, haven't much ER6n experience (2 300+400km days and a couple of short rides) but in the fun zone thought that what ever kind of plastic can serves as an air box has bad vibes. Have seen an old Honda tourer with sound deading material glued and wrapped tightly around the air filter box.

Every dirt bike I've owned has always gotten louder after messing with just the airbox alone, makes sense that it would work the other way. Just one piece of your puzzle that might help.

Maybe ride a harley for a month or two and do some cochlea damage.......

I not think that the stock muffler of the ER-6N makes that much sound.

You best look into repacking your exhaust, you can easily find how-to do that be searching Google by "repack your exhaust"

My previous posting was probably removed of a direct link to the how to the repack your exhaust link

Edited by Richard-BKK

"I know... most of you guys want it as loud as possible, probably from riding loud bikes for decades which destroyed your hearing... or because it's so much fun to scare the locals."

I always wear earplugs, loud exhaust or not and I don't find them inconvenient at all. Certainly more convenient than hearing loss! Back in the US and Japan I felt no need for a loud pipe, but here in Thailand they are an effective way of clearing the road of dogs and waking up sleepy Somchais. :)

"I know... most of you guys want it as loud as possible, probably from riding loud bikes for decades which destroyed your hearing... or because it's so much fun to scare the locals."

I always wear earplugs, loud exhaust or not and I don't find them inconvenient at all. Certainly more convenient than hearing loss! Back in the US and Japan I felt no need for a loud pipe, but here in Thailand they are an effective way of clearing the road of dogs and waking up sleepy Somchais. :)

Ditto on the ear plugs and clearing the roads, make way for my Hyper you sleepy Somchai's.

Oh sorry about that officer the DB killers must have fallen out, did your water buffalo give birth early?

The quality of Thaivisa is really going down, some time ago when people asked a question they got mostly a serious answer. Now-a-day most answers are people thinking they need to post a joke, or try to be funny in some way. Nobody on this forum takes the OP serious, even we all know that Kawasaki muffler packers are pretty bad.

90 percent of the ER6 users jumps to a new muffler to increase power, skipping the stock muffler... But with some modification you can change the default muffler and gain 5hp without making less sound.

I don't "feel" like it's the exhaust... exhaust is totally find at low revs, sounds beautiful. Going from low to high revs, it's not a "the same, just a bit more" kind of effect you'd expect from a muffler sound. It's more like something suddenly starts vibrating at a certain RPM. But what do I know... I'll look into the airbox and maybe talk with the Kawa guys.

Thanks for the tips, all.

PS: I don't mind the jokes in the least. Nobody's died, right? :)

The first thing you are advised when buying a lid is that is should fit snuggley not much movement and not too tight,must feel comfortable agreed.90 % of rice burner rider's wear top of the range fullface lid's with visor,some of these even have vent's to increase airflow and and reduce misting which would suggest not quite airtight but in need of assistance agreed,therefore it stand's to reason that these lid's would also greatly reduce outside noise add to this the other traffic noise, and normal everyday sound's i.e music, public address systems, building site's,roadwork's etc,etc plus the fact the exhaust is behind you ,add these factor's together and suddenly the theory of a loud pipe causing bad hearing does not hold up.The deffence rest's.

LOUD PIPE'S SAVE LIVE'S and that is a FACT. :)

plus the fact the exhaust is behind you

I guess you're not familiar with the bike we are discussing. The ER6n and Ninja 650R feature a rather unusual exhaust configuration. I still sometimes get people who walk around the bike with a confused look and then ask, "Where's the exhaust?" :)

The exhaust muffler is almost directly below the rider and exits on the right side of the bike a couple of inches below and behind the right footpeg:

1013Ninja650RArrow.jpg

I have to say that on the rare occasion that I forget to wear my ear plugs that my Arrow and TWO BROS exhausts really can be quite deafening especially if there's anything on the right side, like a wall or median that bounces the sound back towards the bike.

Still find it hard to believe that the OP's issue has anything to do with the stock muffler though, because as others have noted, it's an extremely quiet can. Weighs something like 20 pounds and contains a mass of baffles and cats that let hardly any noise escape.

ER6nStockVs2Bros.jpg

Ride On!

90 percent of the ER6 users jumps to a new muffler to increase power, skipping the stock muffler... But with some modification you can change the default muffler and gain 5hp without making less sound.

It will certainly take a lot more than modification of the exhaust to generate 5 more horsepower out of the ER6n/Ninja650R.

Most aftermarket slip on pipes advertise a gain of 2 or 3 Hp.

LOUD PIPE'S SAVE LIVE'S and that is a FACT. :D

Have any facts to back up your so-called "fact"???

Didn't think so... :)

6 year's accident free driving in LOS,and it stand's to reason anything that make's other road user's aware of your presence is a plus and as i ride a harley it can't be the bike their looking at. :D i said it first.

A sense of humour is better than a hidden agenda.

LOUD PIPE'S SAVE LIVE'S and that is a FACT. :D

Have any facts to back up your so-called "fact"???

Didn't think so... :)

6 year's accident free driving in LOS,and it stand's to reason anything that make's other road user's aware of your presence is a plus and as i ride a harley it can't be the bike their looking at. :D i said it first.

Funny what passes for "facts" among the hogfats these days :D

BBBBK did you mean to say right rear footpeg,if not i would return your tape measure as silencer box look's more than a few inches in lenght and unless you can scratch you toe's without bending down,riding position you are leaning slightly foward. :)

Um, no, what I said is correct, perhaps you need to re-read: "The exhaust muffler is almost directly below the rider and exits on the right side of the bike a couple of inches below and behind the right footpeg:" And even if you can't read, the picture should be self explanatory...

sell the bike and buy a scooter.

Ha ha! Good one Tiger! Does this picture give you deja vu??? :)

motorcycles-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

Ride On!!!

Tony

LOL I needed that reminder like a nail in the head! ha ha ha!

But in your case the bike didn't actually land on you right? Perhaps this one is more appropriate :D

MCSquidFly.JPG

It would be really cool if you could post pictures of your gear. Imagine how bad it would have been if you'd been in a T-shirt, jeans and sneakers wearing an Index helmet. :D

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back in the saddle again soon!

Ride On!

Tony

Maybe sitting on a Harley is called driving, I don't know, but as somebody aptly put it, "agricultural machinery". Were the six years spent in the garage and short poser trips to the local bars or did you put any serious mileage under the wheels?

Hope the sense of humour is holding up :):D