Us Citizenship For Wife's Son

I'd say it would be a lot easier if adopt him and move to the States, I'm a naturalized US citizen and have a daughter born here in Thailand. The powers that be make almost impossible for me to get citizenship for her as I live here now. I don't have recent evidence of a life in the US such as tax returns etc.

So in light of this I would say you'd have an uphill battle to say the least, but it's worth a try, good luck.

Citizenship by adoption is possible, but rather difficult. You need to show a shared residence with the child for 2 years as well as a legally executed adoption. That being said, you may want to look into filing an independent step-parent petition for US Immigration benefits. This application would be based upon the child's relationship to you and if approved the child would be granted unconditional lawful permanent residence in the USA (provided the child is under 21 when the USCIS application receives approval). Although it would not be citizenship, it is major step toward eventual naturalization.

I hope this was helpful.

All the Best!

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal