Taylormade New Club Purchase In Thailand?

TallTravel

I am currently in the states, but I don't really want to bring them over with me. The entire set I want I can purchase for $1400 in the states, direct from the TaylorMade factory through GolfSmith. Would it be stupid to wait until arrive in Thailand, get settled, and have them shipped in to me?

I need to have the lie adjusted, jumbo grips, and shaft extensions. I am assuming it would be crazy to try to order these from any place but the states.

Any opinions? Golf shop links?

I absolutely agree with earlier poster. Airport Customs will generally charge you extremely high duties to release your clubs...unless they slip through their net...you could pay up to 100+% of the value of the clubs (based on Customs' own perceived value) and if the receiver reneges or refuses the shipment, you'll never see them again...the conclusion as to what happens to them is left up to your imagination. Normally a refused shipment must be returned to the sender by the express shipper. Not in Thailand! Moreover, Customs works closely with FedEx, DHL and UPS, and these express shippers will also assess a ridiculous and unethical 'Customs Service Charge' to obtain the release of the items you sent. Bring them with you and maintain control. Try to limit the number of legs on your airline journey to minimize the time the clubs get handled by baggage handlers at intermediate airports. Direct flights into Bangkok are the best way to do this....and then personally check them in for any subsequent flights in Thailand. Am I paranoid? You bet. Golf clubs, especially expensive brand names, are a prized commodity here that cost 30-40% more to acquire than in the States, and even then they are Asian-spec, not U.S.

Thanks for the answers! It seems a clear choice. However, with the 30-40% increase in value, it seems I might gain by bringing a new set into the country each time I go back to the states, eh?

TallTravel

Only if you have buyers... My preference would be to not return to the States and keep the airfare!