Thai Airways To Ubon

Patriot

Please excuse my dragging this thread up again.

In the wake of TA's decsion to cancel/suspend flights into and out of Ubon, the main Ubon town office AND the airport office is now closed.

What does one now do for ticket purchasing, mile redemption, upgrades etc where one would before have to present ones self at a Thai Airways office.

I have asked around but to no avail.

Thanks

Thai Airways are gradually modernising. Perhaps you will be able to do all this online, like at any other airline by say 2015.

[tongue in cheek - I know you can do most of it online, but assume Patriot must be one of those sociable types who loves some face to face]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[tongue in cheek - I know you can do most of it online, but assume Patriot must be one of those sociable types who loves some face to face]

:):D Yeah; well thanks very much Santi ..... :D:D

I would, and I do, BUT redeeming miles I can't do online. With Qatar Airways I can but, sadly, not Thai. But I am rest assured that Thai Airways have taken the ground breaking measures of just slashing routes. And I am still to be convinced that it is not partially, if not wholly, political.

Hey, Santi, talking of face-to-face, do you fancy a beer sometime ...... Spagos or Peppers is fine or your choice in Kanters ... I love it down there ?!!? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nok air will increase their flights to three per day from the current two starting April 9.

Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok (Don Mueang)

Dep Arr

07:45 08:50 DD9311

12:40 13:45 DD9315

19:55 21:00 DD9319

Bangkok (Don Mueang) to Ubon Ratchathani

Dep Arr

06:10 07:15 DD9310

12:20 13:25 DD9314

18:20 19:25 DD9318

• 3 months later...

So we now have 6 flights a day for Summer at least. That's too many for the traffic.

I still think this is all about Thai Airways, through their subsidiary, Nok Air, trying to kill off Air Asia on the route. Not good for us longer term if they succeed.

Does anybody have an update on the rumour of a couple of months ago about a Ubon to Chang Mai (direct) service?

So we now have 6 flights a day for Summer at least. That's too many for the traffic.

I still think this is all about Thai Airways, through their subsidiary, Nok Air, trying to kill off Air Asia on the route. Not good for us longer term if they succeed.

Does anybody have an update on the rumour of a couple of months ago about a Ubon to Chang Mai (direct) service?

Haven't seen anything further on that report, but did read a couple of days ago that Air Asia will begin 3 flights per week Ubon/Phuket in October. Maybe that's just the beginning, and the Chiang Mai route will follow, as the government is trying to get airlines to utilise regional airports more and reduce flights that have to go via Bangkok every time.

Elwood

SantiSuk I think those flight details have changed since I posted that info.

Elwood, can you remember where you read that news about ubon to Phuket flights. I would be interested in chasing up some more information on that.

Edited by MeMock

SantiSuk I think those flight details have changed since I posted that info.

Elwood, can you remember where you read that news about ubon to Phuket flights. I would be interested in chasing up some more information on that.

Bangkok Post a few days ago, Air Asia were commenting on their new ticketing system;

Domestically, the airline plans to embark on a new route - Phuket-Ubon Ratchathani - with three flights a week in October.

How are the kids?

Elwood

Hi Elwood,

Eldest girl is recovering from her tonsillectomy so apart from that they are doing well!

Thanks for that extra bit of info. What are your thoughts on that route? Any extra flights are a bonus and it offers an alternative route from Australia for me but I cannot see them filling three flights per week.

This is a superb route as I like to get to Phuket 3 times a year from Ubon, trouble is I now can't blag a night in Bangkok!!!

I tried Air Asia out of Ubon earlier this year and thought the whole service, price, punctuality, first class ... look forward to using them again

Hi Elwood,

Eldest girl is recovering from her tonsillectomy so apart from that they are doing well!

Thanks for that extra bit of info. What are your thoughts on that route? Any extra flights are a bonus and it offers an alternative route from Australia for me but I cannot see them filling three flights per week.

Yes, followed her troubles on your website - seems that she was well looked after at the hospital. When I've had family sick, it's strange, but heart-warming, to see how family and friends all join in to help keep an eye on the patient, and spend hours, and sometimes nights, by the bedside. They did the same for me too.

Hard to imagine being able to fill the Phuket flights, but then again the Air Asia big cheese is far better at this job than we are! Wondering whether they will be planning to arrange with tour companies to get some tourists to spend a short time in Isaan - Candle festival, the national parks, Yaso Rocket festival - then fly direct to Phuket, instead of the hassle of going via Bangkok? I have read before that it was hoped that regional airports could be utilised more to bypass Bangkok; easing strain on Bangkok and getting some tourist money to the regions.

On another travel note, I was at the Bus Station a couple of weeks ago and saw a notice about a new route Ubon/Hua Hin, but didn't have a chance to go back for more details, except to note that the route seems to be via highway 9 and Rama 2.

Elwood

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps they took heed of some comments on TV as there is no sign of this new Ubon to Phuket route emerging on Air Asia's web-site yet.

Pity, need to pai tee-ow with family in October/November and not looking forward to the long drive. A direct fly drive alternative would have been nice.

Ubon to Phuket now showing as an option on their website but no flights bookable this year as yet. DOn't have the patience to test next years dates to figure out whether they are taking bookings and when do they start

Hi Elwood,

Yes, followed her troubles on your website - seems that she was well looked after at the hospital. When I've had family sick, it's strange, but heart-warming, to see how family and friends all join in to help keep an eye on the patient, and spend hours, and sometimes nights, by the bedside. They did the same for me too.

Hard to imagine being able to fill the Phuket flights, but then again the Air Asia big cheese is far better at this job than we are! Wondering whether they will be planning to arrange with tour companies to get some tourists to spend a short time in Isaan - Candle festival, the national parks, Yaso Rocket festival - then fly direct to Phuket, instead of the hassle of going via Bangkok? I have read before that it was hoped that regional airports could be utilised more to bypass Bangkok; easing strain on Bangkok and getting some tourist money to the regions.

On another travel note, I was at the Bus Station a couple of weeks ago and saw a notice about a new route Ubon/Hua Hin, but didn't have a chance to go back for more details, except to note that the route seems to be via highway 9 and Rama 2.

Elwood

I did the Ubon to Hua Hin and were very pleased with it. the 32 seat bus with plenty of room, 600-700 for an adult, left Ubon at around 20:30 arrived Hua Hin at just before 7 I think not to bad would do it again if I had to do the bus thing. Left from Hua Hin at 18:00 and got to Ubon at around 05:00. Goes Ubon-Sisaket-Surin and then I were sleeping both ways but I know no Burinam.

This is the flyer from the bus company: Ubon-Hua Hin

Edited by spacemand

I did the Ubon to Hua Hin and were very pleased with it. the 32 seat bus with plenty of room, 600-700 for an adult, left Ubon at around 20:30 arrived Hua Hin at just before 7 I think not to bad would do it again if I had to do the bus thing. Left from Hua Hin at 18:00 and got to Ubon at around 05:00. Goes Ubon-Sisaket-Surin and then I were sleeping both ways but I know no Burinam.

This is the flyer from the bus company: Ubon-Hua Hin

Thanks very much for that info. Our kids live at Rama 2 and usually call in when driving to Hua Hin. If the wife goes alone she uses NCA to Bangkok then a taxi; if the new Hua Hin bus stops to drop passengers at Rama 2 she would be just a few minutes from their house.

Elwood

• 1 month later...