Which Family Car

Neeranam

A friend of mine is 6 foot 6 and test drove one and was surprised that it was possible to pull back the seat far enough and that there was so much headroom left (normally nothing in other cars...). He didn't say anything about the left foot (old model - don't think there's a difference to the new one). Now that was only a test drive...

6 foot 2 is OK, can't say about bigger than that

A friend of mine is 6 foot 6 and test drove one and was surprised that it was possible to pull back the seat far enough and that there was so much headroom left (normally nothing in other cars...). He didn't say anything about the left foot (old model - don't think there's a difference to the new one). Now that was only a test drive...

6 foot 2 is OK, can't say about bigger than that

Guess it is how long your legs are, my inside leg is 36" and take size 13 UK [14 US size] shoe - 48 here..

I could just not get my leg/foot passed the brake pedal. so had to cancel my order for the Avanza [another story but took 7 months to get the booking fee back from Toyota]

Chevy's current promotion includes 40K off sticker price and 0% financing for 3 years. I'm tempted by the Captiva too.

Yes stay clear of 2nd hand vehicles is good advice.

Captiva is an excellent family car!

But its resale value is really low, thats WHY i bought one :)

Second hand, of course, 1.085.000Bath , for a less than 1 year old car that cost the first owner 1.560.000Bath.

I plan to keep it, its great.

Tommy

Likewise with the Ford Escape, 400,000 less for a year old one.

Chevrolet, Ford and Mazda make a excellent buy 2nd hand almost new.

A Honda 2.4 CRV has lost around 100,000 in the same time, so makes little scene buying 2nd hand

Edited by ignis

Guess it is how long your legs are, my inside leg is 36" and take size 13 UK [14 US size] shoe - 48 here..

I could just not get my leg/foot passed the brake pedal. so had to cancel my order for the Avanza [another story but took 7 months to get the booking fee back from Toyota]

You have an interesting anatomy :)

I will never buy another gasoline powered engine again. As far as a people mover, the Chevy Captiva would be my choice. I really like the Ford explorer but the gasoline engine makes it a no go. The Ford Expedition is just too big. The Toyota Fortuner or the Isuzu MU7 are also too big. The bottom line is that a diesel is by far the best choice regardless of the brand.

If you are looking for a family car, think very hard about the suspension. My new Fortuner is very hard sprung (sports model - TRD Sportivo - big mistake) and, although it fits the bill having 7 seats and good vision, it bounces the family all over the place when the road is other than glass-smooth. If I had my time over I would go for something softer-sprung - and I don't mean soft sprung because it is old/kn$ckered.

edited to add Ideally you should take a long test drive and test it with no passenger load and with full passenger load

Edited by SantiSuk

I will never buy another gasoline powered engine again. As far as a people mover, the Chevy Captiva would be my choice. I really like the Ford explorer but the gasoline engine makes it a no go. The Ford Expedition is just too big. The Toyota Fortuner or the Isuzu MU7 are also too big. The bottom line is that a diesel is by far the best choice regardless of the brand.

that would depend on what suits yr conditions

we have a Wish which suits our needs, moves our extended family around when required, can carry boxes and other stuff and handles like a car with the benefit of having excellent all round visability,

but unfortunately, the Wish doesnt come in a diesel, but i still would have it over a diesel captiva....for now :)

Diesel - That is true, from the owners perspective. A back side is that they smell awfully bad (for those not in the car with the windows up) and they are dirty environmentally. Some countries in Europe tax diesel so that end price driving a diesel car will be the same (or so close that it is not worth bying them unless you drive 80,000 + km per year) just because of that reason. Environmental concern hasn't really reached Thailand that so not a problem here really.

As to which car... I have owned many cars in in the 30 years I have been driving. I had NEVER owned a Japanese car before I came to live in Thailand though. 18 years later, I cannot understand why anyone would buy a Chevy in Thailand. In my opionion... The Japanese cars Toyota and Honda are better. I never thought I would ever write something like that, now I do. I used to race road racing when I was young and stupid, doing wheelies, 256 km/h on Autobahn (well, it didn't do 260 with pannies and tent), now I write that a Toyota is a better choice than an American or European car... So be it

You're right about diesel in Thailand, I wouldn't buy one anyway, don't like diesel. I buy petrol powered cars instead

OP, I know you said you didnt want a fortuner or a pickup.....you referred to OVERSIZE, so Im taking it you dont want a big beefy car.

Did you consider looking at a 4 door, low level Toyota Hilux, they are considerable cheaper than the pre-runners that most the thais like to ride around in and theres nothing better for carting around dogs and bikes in.....you can even move the misses to the back if she starts talking too much :)

Diesel - That is true, from the owners perspective. A back side is that they smell awfully bad (for those not in the car with the windows up) and they are dirty environmentally. Some countries in Europe tax diesel so that end price driving a diesel car will be the same (or so close that it is not worth bying them unless you drive 80,000 + km per year) just because of that reason. Environmental concern hasn't really reached Thailand that so not a problem here really.

As to which car... I have owned many cars in in the 30 years I have been driving. I had NEVER owned a Japanese car before I came to live in Thailand though. 18 years later, I cannot understand why anyone would buy a Chevy in Thailand. In my opionion... The Japanese cars Toyota and Honda are better. I never thought I would ever write something like that, now I do. I used to race road racing when I was young and stupid, doing wheelies, 256 km/h on Autobahn (well, it didn't do 260 with pannies and tent), now I write that a Toyota is a better choice than an American or European car... So be it

You're right about diesel in Thailand, I wouldn't buy one anyway, don't like diesel. I buy petrol powered cars instead

ITS A SHAME, that you have an opinion about diesel cars like this. Sadly, it is a correct statement that here in LOS there are many thousands of Diesel vehicles blowing smoke everywhere, yes its smelly and inconsiderate.

Having said that, a well maintained and serviced diesel vehicle doesnt need to blow dirty fumes everywhere. I have had a number of diesel vehicles, one of them up until it was 8 years old with a reasonable amount of milage on it & it didnt blow any excess smoke. Strange isnt it.

What are the differences between the Innova and Avanza?

Is it just the Innova is bigger?

The Innova is more than just bigger. My wife drives an Avanza, excellent car too. It is cheap and you get what you pay for. We have loaded me, my wife and daughter and my mother and father and so much luggage you wouldn't believe it and there was still room for a bit more, then we drove to Phuket and back several times. It is a big little car.

The Avanza is not a comfortable car, it is hard and it is noisy. I don't know if they have added sound insulation to the never models but the first one that we have is actually so noisy that I went out and bought 10 mm foam at Carrefour (think it was 4 roles, slightly less than 500 bath each), then I ripped out the interior so that I could lift up the mat and put foam under, all the way from the back and to the engine compartment. 5 mm foam for the doors. Then I bent the window frames so that wind noise went down too. Perfect, now it's not quiet, but it is very OK. Quiet enough to drive to Phuket without getting irritated about the noise.

This takes a whole weekend and a few more evenings and it is worth every single bath. I very strongly recommend buying Silicone spray and spraying it on every single plastic to plastic surface while you are on it. It is a cheap car and it will start to squeak if you don't.

Forgot to say; The first model Avanza automatic we have has low gearing (don't know if the 1.5 litre model has higher) so it revs 3,400 rpm at 100 km/h… Driving to Phuket and to the North with so much load that you would have to go twice in a Camry or Accord is no problem at all with an Avanza, but don't do it at above 110 km/h, max 120 (that's nearly 4,000 rpm). It will get loud and it will take quite a lot of petrol if you push it. Does about 15 km to the litre at slightly less than 100 km/h and 14 at 105, 13 at 115. Our Avanza is 4.5 years old now and has done 70,000 km or so without a single problem. Very good cheap car, but consider the above (note: old model with 1.3 litre engine). If anyone finds out if Toyota has addressed the above in the new model, then please let me know.

The Innova is a bigger and better car, it's surprisingly heavy (much heavier than a Wish). Very good family car, Bangkok Taxi drivers love it and I think that we will see that it will live up to Toyota's famous quality too in a year or two, 500,000 km should not be a problem, we should see some with over 100,000 on the clock in 5 years time. In contrast to the Daewoo's, have you noticed, the're all gone. I wonder why :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

why several here say its never worth buying a toyota second hand? we bought a corolla altis 05 for less than 400k. we thought that was great, but maybe not? it was in prime condition, we had it checked. had it 1y now, been working great. 

Edited by chrgrims

Did notice a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD For Sale.. ??

This has the five-cylinder 2.7-litre turbodiesel unit from the Mercedes ML range, no idea what there like to own..

What are the differences between the Innova and Avanza?

Is it just the Innova is bigger?

The Innova is more than just bigger. My wife drives an Avanza, excellent car too. It is cheap and you get what you pay for. We have loaded me, my wife and daughter and my mother and father and so much luggage you wouldn't believe it and there was still room for a bit more, then we drove to Phuket and back several times. It is a big little car.

The Avanza is not a comfortable car, it is hard and it is noisy. I don't know if they have added sound insulation to the never models but the first one that we have is actually so noisy that I went out and bought 10 mm foam at Carrefour (think it was 4 roles, slightly less than 500 bath each), then I ripped out the interior so that I could lift up the mat and put foam under, all the way from the back and to the engine compartment. 5 mm foam for the doors. Then I bent the window frames so that wind noise went down too. Perfect, now it's not quiet, but it is very OK. Quiet enough to drive to Phuket without getting irritated about the noise.

This takes a whole weekend and a few more evenings and it is worth every single bath. I very strongly recommend buying Silicone spray and spraying it on every single plastic to plastic surface while you are on it. It is a cheap car and it will start to squeak if you don't.

Forgot to say; The first model Avanza automatic we have has low gearing (don't know if the 1.5 litre model has higher) so it revs 3,400 rpm at 100 km/h… Driving to Phuket and to the North with so much load that you would have to go twice in a Camry or Accord is no problem at all with an Avanza, but don't do it at above 110 km/h, max 120 (that's nearly 4,000 rpm). It will get loud and it will take quite a lot of petrol if you push it. Does about 15 km to the litre at slightly less than 100 km/h and 14 at 105, 13 at 115. Our Avanza is 4.5 years old now and has done 70,000 km or so without a single problem. Very good cheap car, but consider the above (note: old model with 1.3 litre engine). If anyone finds out if Toyota has addressed the above in the new model, then please let me know.

The Innova is a bigger and better car, it's surprisingly heavy (much heavier than a Wish). Very good family car, Bangkok Taxi drivers love it and I think that we will see that it will live up to Toyota's famous quality too in a year or two, 500,000 km should not be a problem, we should see some with over 100,000 on the clock in 5 years time. In contrast to the Daewoo's, have you noticed, the're all gone. I wonder why :D

Thanks for that mickey - I'll get up to the toyota showroom soon and try them out.

OP, I know you said you didnt want a fortuner or a pickup.....you referred to OVERSIZE, so Im taking it you dont want a big beefy car.

Did you consider looking at a 4 door, low level Toyota Hilux, they are considerable cheaper than the pre-runners that most the thais like to ride around in and theres nothing better for carting around dogs and bikes in.....you can even move the misses to the back if she starts talking too much wink.gif

:) I may have a look at them when I go to the showroom but I very much doubt I'll get one. There was one pickup I quite liked - it was the one with the back doors that opened outwards - does anyone know what model that was?

There was one pickup I quite liked - it was the one with the back doors that opened outwards - does anyone know what model that was?

A Pickup ?? :) the mind boggles........... or did you mean a station-wagon/SUV based on a pickup ?

The Isuzu Vega single rear side opening, the Isuzu Trooper 2 doors rear opening, NISSAN TERRANO single rear side opening,

can't think of anything newish based on a pickup even these are classed as a SUV

4x4 and SUV's then yes big and small with rear opening doors.

Edited by ignis

There was one pickup I quite liked - it was the one with the back doors that opened outwards - does anyone know what model that was?

A Pickup ?? :) the mind boggles........... or did you mean a station-wagon/SUV based on a pickup ?

The Isuzu Vega single rear side opening, the Isuzu Trooper 2 doors rear opening, NISSAN TERRANO single rear side opening,

can't think of anything newish based on a pickup even these are classed as a SUV

The TOYOTA Vigo Extra-cab's have the Suicide doors (small back doors that open outwards from the C pillar).

Did someone already mention a Yaris? Nice car for the price and the OP's question made me think of my baby sis and neighbor. Both sold there V6 mini vans to buy Toy's Yaris; they halved their gas costs and both have teenagers who race mountain bikes (meaning high dollar bikes have to ride inside the car). About the most room in back for a small car that I've seen.

The TOYOTA Vigo Extra-cab's have the Suicide doors (small back doors that open outwards from the C pillar).

Oh I see what is meant, yes the Mazda BT-50 called 'Freestyle' and the Ford Ranger... called 'Open Cab'

also the Nissan Frontier Navara called the 'King Cab'

Did someone already mention a Yaris? Nice car for the price and the OP's question made me think of my baby sis and neighbor. Both sold there V6 mini vans to buy Toy's Yaris; they halved their gas costs and both have teenagers who race mountain bikes (meaning high dollar bikes have to ride inside the car). About the most room in back for a small car that I've seen.

Yaris is probably a bit small for the OP's job. Anyway, if hes considering a Yaris, he may as well get a tuk tuk with a trailer for the bikes, it will be alot cheaper and when the kids get a bit older he can send them out to rip off tourists to pay their upkeep :)

The Innova is a bigger and better car, it's surprisingly heavy (much heavier than a Wish). Very good family car, Bangkok Taxi drivers love it and I think that we will see that it will live up to Toyota's famous quality too in a year or two, 500,000 km should not be a problem, we should see some with over 100,000 on the clock in 5 years time. In contrast to the Daewoo's, have you noticed, the're all gone. I wonder why :)

Correction; 500,000 km should not be a problem, we should see some with over 1,000,000 (a million...) km on the clock in 5 years time