The Windows 7 Drama

webfact

I have installed W7 32b ultimate in a 500GB HDD - brand new. I set up everything and was already working.

For some reason I had to shut down the computer. When I restarted instead of W7 an error message appeared on the screen

"BOOTMGR is missing. Press ctrl-alt delete to restart".

I have tried several repair functions coming with w7. To no avail.

Any adise is appreciated.

Thx

This is what I said here already in an other post exactly about this - Microsoft garbage at its best...

Did this long time ago so not everything might be exactly as on the screen.

Put your Win7 install disk in the DVD drive and start from there. Then comes a screen where you can select Repair Your Computer. Select this. Then comes something like Command Prompt to select (I think it was the last entry). Select this. Then type:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

c:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force (If c:\ does not work enter the path of your DVD drive)

del C:\boot\bcd

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Somehow easy / or??? No not really. A shame what Microsoft did here to customers!

Edited by Beggar

Remove the BCD store, and recreate it. Execute commands in the following order:

bcdedit /export c:\bcd_backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

# Restart your computer

Also make sure the drive or partition containing bootmgr is set 'Active'.

Did you connect any USB mass storage device lately? Did you change boot order in the BIOS? Is the Windows partition the active partition?

welo

Indeed, when the computer is booting, wherever it is looking for boot info it's not finding it.

Go into your BIOS config (when you start your computer there should be a message like 'Press -some key name- to configure'

Depending on the computer you'll get a list of possible places to boot from: USB drive, network, CD/DVD etc. Tell it to use internal hard drive.

Do you have a second hard drive hooked up? If so, unplug it and reboot. I had that problem and after unplugging the second hard drive, the system started normally. Since then I have gone into the BIOS and disabled that second hard drive from the boot priority. I use the second hard drive for the backup and it still works despite being disabled from the boot menu.