Prime Minister Abhisit's New Year Message

webfact

PM'S NEW YEAR MESSAGE

No bite in the year of the tiger for PM

By The Nation

Published on January 1, 2010

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday dismissed a fortune-teller's prediction that the country would witness severe violence in the year 2010 leading to a coup, saying he would do everything possible not to create conditions that would allow the situation to develop in that direction.

A fortune-teller made the prediction that after a coup the country would have a new prime minister whose name begins with the Thai letter pronounced "Awe".

"There are people who want to bring about violence but it is my and the government's duty not to let that happen. I reiterate that whoever thinks violence is an answer to this society is thinking wrong,'' Abhisit said.

Asked if he believed the year 2010, which is the year of the tiger, is "fierce", the PM laughed and said: "A tiger is naturally fierce, but the year of the tiger is not a tiger,'' he joked.

He gave his assurance that the government would lead the country to overcome whatever problems it encounters in the year of the tiger and step up to the year of the rabbit. The PM said the government would continue its efforts to bring about economic recovery and national reconciliation and ensure that politics do not become obstacles to development. "We will focus on structural work, mapping out policies and measures for medium and long term, which will be announced at a later suitable time,'' he said.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said the party would meet on January 4 to discuss the no-confidence motion. They have tentatively decided to grill seven ministers, including the PM.

In his New Year's address to the people, the prime minister said the government's spending of Bt116 billion to stimulate the economy in 2009 had been fruitful as the country had witnessed economic expansion during the last quarter of the year.

The government also aims to reduce the country's logistic costs from 19 per cent of GDP to 16 per cent, and increase irrigation areas by one million rai. It plans to eradicate illiteracy from the country within three years.

To continue economic growth, the government will inject Bt1.43 trillion over the next three years through 6,000 development projects and basic infrastructure projects such as transportation, communications, water management, education, public health, tourism, creative economy and community development, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010/1/1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"I reiterate that whoever thinks violence is an answer to this society is thinking wrong ... government would lead the country to overcome whatever problems it encounters in the year of the tiger and step up to the year of the rabbit ... We will focus on structural work, mapping out policies and measures for medium and long term''

the government, which came to power by a military putch and governmental houses and airport occupations is teaching the society to keep calm.

looks, like they are entrenching themselves for the 2011 and beyond.

not a word about elections, democracy is not allowed anymore in the land of free

Edited by londonthai

"I reiterate that whoever thinks violence is an answer to this society is thinking wrong ... government would lead the country to overcome whatever problems it encounters in the year of the tiger and step up to the year of the rabbit ... We will focus on structural work, mapping out policies and measures for medium and long term''

the government, which came to power by a military putch and governmental houses and airport occupations is teaching the society to keep calm.

not a word about elections, democracy is not allowed anymore in the land of free

Is the parlimentary democracy system unfathomable for you?

I believe the parliamentary system in Thailand suggests that the drivers of the 14 tanks vote unanimously to follow orders and drive throught the streets of Bangkok and take over the government and replace it with a military charade. While it is true that they elected to follow orders, this is not the election that is called for at present in Thailand. It is difficult for the right-wing yellow types to understand, but let's be patient.

Of course that comment ignores the constitution voted in by the Thai People.

And Ignores the ever cheating TWO Pro-Thaksin governments installed SINCE the coup,

and the fact the only stable one was put in by parliamentary coalition building,

after those two Thaksin puppets no longer could buy a coalition to hold power.

But why quibble with facts.

Edited by animatic

And Ignores the ever cheating TWO Pro-Thaksin governments installed SINCE the coup,

and the fact the only stable one was put in after those two no longer could buy a coalition to hold power.

No facts to quibble with here! Enjoy the outdoors on this beautiful New Years Day!

Asked if he believed the year 2010, which is the year of the tiger, is "fierce", the PM laughed and said: "A tiger is naturally fierce, but the year of the tiger is not a tiger,'' he joked.

Good answer! If I may expand upon that a bit, let me say, all this Thai slurping up of Chinese tradition (such as 12 year cycle with animal reps) is all overdone. Who first proclaimed 'this animal represents this year in the sequence, and that animal represents another year....' .....and so on? What about whales, owls, salamanders, coyotes and slugs? (p.s. the banana slug is the mascot of U.C.Santa Cruz) Chinese silliness with putting animals on a 12 year cycle ....and then assigning such importance to the process is silly at best. It's the same sort of Chinese nonsense as assigning dick hardening properties to ground up bones of rare animals - because the animal has a reputation for fierceness. African bees are fiercer than tigers, ....why not assign dick hardening properties to ground up bee dust?

As for tigers being fierce - sure they're fierce, as are all other carnivores when the need arises. They can also be nurturing, timid, or frightened, depending on circumstance.

Suggestion for PM Abhisit: Next time some reporter asks about the significance of some fortune teller's prediction, look that person right in the eyes and tell 'em;

Fortune telling is a fun diversion, but it's hocus pocus. I've got a mandate to get going with real issues of governing. If I want diversions, I'll read a book, go hiking, or go to an amusement park. There's a man named Thaksin who's doing all he can to cause trouble for Thailand, so that makes that problem a priority. Thankfully, that man and his yes-men are fast fading in influence, so I'm able to be more effective in this new year with setting the best course for the betterment of Thailand and its people and environment.

Edited by brahmburgers

and the fact the only stable one was put in by parliamentary coalition building,

Partly... but no one voted this government in - I think an election to let the people decide is the onlyway for a truly stable future (well as stable as it can be here :) )

And I thought Abhisit was elected from the parliament which was elected in a normal election......

And I thought Abhisit was elected from the parliament which was elected in a normal election......

nope...

Partly... but no one voted this government in - I think an election to let the people decide is the onlyway for a truly stable future (well as stable as it can be here :) )

No cabinet or PM is EVER directly elected by the people as individual voters.

But those they DID elect, and remain in office for not breaking impeachable laws,

do vote for PM, and then his cabinet choices are then validated by HRM.

As long as a 'term of Ministers in Parliament' is legally in force, as it is now,

ANY combination of MP's can raise or remove a cabinet and PM,

and install a new one. That's the laws of Thailand.

Edited by animatic

He was,

it's just that some of those originally elected MP's got the ax because they got CAUGHT cheating in the election.

Since some think getting caught is not good enough reason to be thrown from office, they whine on.

Some seem to get a PR paycheck for this whining on, but hey, it's a living.

But those they DID elect and remain in office for not breaking impeachable laws,

do vote for PM and his cabinet is then validated by HRM.

As long as a term of Ministers in Parliament is legaly in force, as it is now,

Which law states that the military can mangle the constitution at will and install a spineless moron like Abhisit?

gallery_327_1086_10729.jpg

PM Abhisit: Government will work to benefit all Thai people

BANGKOK, Jan 1 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday vowed that his government will work for the benefit of the whole public, while urging the Thai people to observe the New Year messages of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej emphasising the importance of working for the common good.

The premier comments as he went to the Royal Palace in the Thai capital to sign an official book expressing New Year wishes for His Majesty the King.

Mr Abhisit said the king has always stressed the importance of working for the common good and said that if Thais can follow his advice, the year 2010 will definitely be a good year for the Thai people, while asserting that his government will also serve the public interest.

King Bhumibol, who has been hospitalised at Bangkok’s Siriraj Hospital since September 19, initially with a lung infection and fever, said in his New Year message televised late Thursday that Thais who love their country should dedicate themselves to carrying out the tasks they have before them to the best of their ability.

Most importantly, faithful Thais must realise that the common good is long-lasting and benefits everyone, the monarch said. The common good creates happiness for individuals and the country as a whole as wished by everyone.

Meanwhile, the premier also thanked concerned officials and the public who helped maintain security during the New Year celebrations.

"However, there are still a number of road accidents," said Mr Abhisit. "I urge the public not to be reckless during their trips in this period; I wish them safe trips."

Regarding the challenges of the government in the year 2010, the premier said that facing problems and obstacles is normal. Some challenges may be easier to solve, while others may be hard, but he and his government will do their utmost and hope to receive cooperation from the Thai public. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010/1/1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

But those they DID elect and remain in office for not breaking impeachable laws,

do vote for PM and his cabinet is then validated by HRM.

As long as a term of Ministers in Parliament is legaly in force, as it is now,

Which law states that the military can mangle the constitution at will and install a spineless moron like Abhisit?

None of them, they don't need one to.

Your arguments are falling apart.

Thaksin's gov. had army backing till they saw him turning on them.

They withdrew their backing and he still came at them to take over,

they removed him, his own hubris and arrogance caused his down fall.

We are 3 governments and a new constitution past his aggresive arrogance,

and he still hasn't figured out it's time to retire quietly.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday dismissed a fortune-teller's prediction that the country would witness severe violence in the year 2010 leading to a coup, saying he would do everything possible not to create conditions that would allow the situation to develop in that direction.

Of course he doesn't want a coup. A coup would remove him from power.

:)

animatic

What is it that you people don't understand in animatics' posts? All he has said is true and reasonable. No one with "less spine" than Khun Abhisit would have survived this long, let alone functioned and moved along as he has done. He is not corrupt, he has Thailands best interests at heart and is making the best possible progress, from a bad economy, against strong though stupid opposition, in very difficult circumstances. No one is perfect, especially in Government. You take the best that's offered, who seems to be doing the right thing and you support him or her. It will never be perfect. Can anyone give me a perfect example of Government anywhere? The man deserves credit and help for what he is trying to achive.

Thanks Animatic for using reason, fact, clarity and patience with addressing those on this forum who continue to believe a Thai PM comes to power via gaining votes from a popular election, as happens in the US. And thanks for showing in a measured manner how Abhisit was not put in power by a coup, but rather by putting together a coalition of popularly elected MP's, as happens within a functioning parliamentary system. The coup happened in September 2006, whereas PM Abhisit gained the PM's seat in December 2008 - that's 28 months and three PM's later. Anyone saying the current PM was put in place by the military coup is up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks Animatic for using reason, fact, clarity and patience with addressing those on this forum who continue to believe a Thai PM comes to power via gaining votes from a popular election, as happens in the US. And thanks for showing in a measured manner how Abhisit was not put in power by a coup, but rather by putting together a coalition of popularly elected MP's, as happens within a functioning parliamentary system. The coup happened in September 2006, whereas PM Abhisit gained the PM's seat in December 2008 - that's 28 months and three PM's later. Anyone saying the current PM was put in place by the military coup is up a creek without a paddle.

That Abhisit somehow came to power without the strings being pulled by the military is a fantasy that few Thais or international journalists would believe.

That Abhisit somehow came to power without the strings being pulled by the military is a fantasy that few Thais or international journalists would believe.

Yeah. One day you may wake up too. Though from your posts I find it unlikely! Are you another who can't see the truth about about Taksin? You have my sympathy, not anger.

Yeah. One day you may wake up too. Though from your posts I find it unlikely! Are you another who can't see the truth about about Taksin? You have my sympathy, not anger.

I think I know as much truth about Thaksin ( I assume you were not referring to King Taksin) as the average person on these forums, and I've been living in Thailand far longer than most. You would be surprised at how much we agree on many points regarding Thaksin. I just don't share your sympathies for the right-wing military brutes who have established their surrogates in power at present.

I think I know as much truth about Thaksin ( I assume you were not referring to King Taksin) as the average person on these forums, and I've been living in Thailand far longer than most. You would be surprised at how much we agree on many points regarding Thaksin. I just don't share your sympathies for the right-wing military brutes who have established their surrogates in power at present.

I have to agree with you, that there are plenty of those too, but with a lot of luck and some solid support, the dinos may eventually disappear like their ancestors did. Our man did quietly get rid of one close to him recently, which was well done I thought. Hardly a ripple either - mind you, hardly any Thais liked him either!

Thank you to those who actualy read and listen to reasoned argument.

To some others, well your milage does vary, but... so what.

Thaksin never came to power without his share of military backing.

It just didn't happen, attempts at taking that aspect out of his history

doesn't change it one bit. He then burnt his bridges at so many levels he had to go.

The effects of isolation by sycophants and yes men to a ego that brooked no dissenting opinions.

Addiction to power is a heady brew and some men prefer to remain drunk from it for life.

Few can succeed in this aim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Thailand

"Thailand's current constitution was promulgated in 2007, replacing an interim constitution promulgated in 2006 after an army-led coup. The 2007 Constitution was written by a junta-appointed group of drafters, but was approved by a public referendum. Prior to the referendum, the junta passed a law making it illegal to publicly criticize the draft.[1] Controversial features in the constitution included an partly-appointed Senate and amnesty for the leaders of the 2006 coup."

thai democracy

I wonder if anyone could cite a source for that oft stated phrase that the junta passed a law forbidding criticism of the charter draft. I don't recall reading about that - ever, and would apprecaite a source to satisfy my curiosity.

Agreed as Wikipedia isn't known as an intellectually respectable or reliable source in any matter, much less a definitive one. 

It has more notations of "source needed" than supposed information provided.

I wonder if anyone could cite a source for that oft stated phrase that the junta passed a law forbidding criticism of the charter draft. I don't recall reading about that - ever, and would apprecaite a source to satisfy my curiosity.

It's a complicated business, but the following may prove helpful:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/06...cs_30039559.php

http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-p...ft-charter.html

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/71

At the time of their writing, The Nation, Bangkok Pundit and Prachatai were expressing concerns about the proposals contained in the bill - before it was passed. It then was passed and promulgated on August 2nd:

"Act on Orderly Conduct of Referendum on Draft Constitution, B.E 2550 (2007)

Section 10

Any person commits the following acts:

(3) To deceive, coerce, threaten, or influence eligible voters not to exercise their voting rights, to vote one way or another, or to abstain from voting;

Any person committing offence as in..... (3)...... shall be liable to imprisonment for a term of not exceeding 10 years and a fine of 200,000 baht......... The court may also order disfranchisement for a period of not exceeding 5 years."

[my bold emphasis]

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0415.pdf