What City Is The Coolest (temperature) In Thailand?

Tokay

Loei owns the title as the coldest province in Thailand. But while Loei does get very cold in the cold months, it can get very hot in the hot season depending where you are. Nothing to do with temperature, but in my search for a cold climate I gave up on the north because the forests are systematically burnt down and the air quality is an appalling stinking haze for a couple months out of every year. That is the bad news. The good news is I did discover there are micro climates in Thailand here and there. Some are good, much better than the temperature being monitored in a bigger place an hour away. These are hard to find, but worth the effort. I found the best weather situation to be in the mountains of Phetchabun. But there are bound to be other places as good or better elsewhere.

I don't know which has the absolute coolest average temperature but if you are looking for a place to live the answer is probably Chiang Mai which is much cooler than Bangkok and a great city.

Chiang Mai can be hotter than Bangkok in the hot season. It only gets a lot cooler than Bangkok from Nov. - Jan. In April the air quality and temperature can be better in Bangkok.

I got no idea but the hottest is Udon Thani! so sick!!!

Well, I'm not used to Thai weather, so can't really comment with any authority, but I do know it was 30c plus almost every day I was in Udon Thani last month on my first ever two week visit. :)

Being a UK resident, this is actually fairly hot for me (not complaining mind).

Oh wait yes! coolest is in Petchaboon province! the district called "Namnao" its never been hot over there i've been there before ppl there no need fan or aircon btw my cousins live there i visited em couple times! we call it "mini switzerland" :) they have rice field too! cant wait to go there again alas i didnt take photo when i was there-_-'

Well, I'm not used to Thai weather, so can't really comment with any authority, but I do know it was 30c plus almost every day I was in Udon Thani last month on my first ever two week visit. :)

Do u know why it was hot when u were here Tezzy? coz u were close to hot chick:P

Do u know why it was hot when u were here Tezzy? coz u were close to hot chick:P

Yeah, that must be it, nothing to do with the actual temperature at all. ¬_¬

Yeah, that must be it, nothing to do with the actual temperature at all. ¬_¬

Wink wink me cant wait to warm u up again darling! :D

• 6 months later...

The good news is I did discover there are micro climates in Thailand here and there. Some are good, much better than the temperature being monitored in a bigger place an hour away. These are hard to find, but worth the effort. I found the best weather situation to be in the mountains of Phetchabun. But there are bound to be other places as good or better elsewhere.

interesting, i have been looking at Khao Kho recently and posted a thread about it. i would really love to find a cool place in the north, year round cool that is. The locals in Khao Kho said that it rarely gets above 30 degrees but i'm not sure i believe that. i'd love to know what the average high temp is in March-May in Kheam Son down to Sadao Pong if anyone knows. i'll go look myself next hot season but that's a ways away from now.

by the way, someone mentioned Nam Nao which is on the east side of Lok Sak and i think is cool all year but its all national park, no villages at all in the higher up areas. At least in the Khao Kho area there are villages and some land with real titles. and its reasonable close to Phetchaboon town for shopping etc.

Edited by stevehaigh

My GF is from Nam Nao. I have a house and motorcycle there which I have never seen, ha ha.

She says never use AC. She also says good hospital (5k) Nam Nao and the nurses are very pretty and wear short skirts and are very skinny. She says doctors are handsome men and very patient and take their time with you. She says land is 120,000 baht per rai where she lives. 70k to Lotus. Fresh fruit market 40K. She says she does not go to the market but if she wants something calls a guy in the morning, chicken, vegetables and such and he brings it in the afternoon. There is also a family close to her where the two sisters have 5 Falang husbands and 6 kids. Maybe it has to do with the climate.

The area was home to the communist insurgents in the 1970's who tried to take over Thailand.

I have been with the GF for two years and have never been there. We live by the Gulf of Thailand. The stories about the sisters and the 5 husbands and how they schedule the visits are hysterical. Perhaps it is something about the climate or the water but listening to her on the phone with her friends the ladies from the area seem to like men a lot. They all complain about the farmer husbands only want to sleep at night after a day in the fields.

wow thats amazing this thread was started tommorow and some of the comments made september 1st 2010:lol:

does thai visa know what date it is and how the calender works

dates all look ok to me, maybe your time zone is off. anyhow back on topic, i think Nam Nao is a bit too far from anything and the thread title is 'what city is the coolest'. although may be worth a visit just to see the nurses!

Maybe someone could tell me. GF says 10% of the population of Nam Nao is Issan and about 1% Falang.

Is Nom Nao and Petchaboon not considered part of Issan in terms of culture and food? She says their language is part Thai and part Lanna. So she understands some of what the Chiang Mai native population says. When she talks to her parents I don’t understand everything she says. When I mention a word in Lao she always understands.

Let me know about the nurses. When I get real old I am thinking about moving there.

Maybe someone could tell me. GF says 10% of the population of Nam Nao is Issan and about 1% Falang.

Is Nom Nao and Petchaboon not considered part of Issan in terms of culture and food? She says their language is part Thai and part Lanna. So she understands some of what the Chiang Mai native population says. When she talks to her parents I don't understand everything she says. When I mention a word in Lao she always understands.

Let me know about the nurses. When I get real old I am thinking about moving there.

Real old, then girlfriend will have nothing to worry about.

I have never been as cold as I was in Mar. I stayed one month at Wat Tam Wua outside of Mae Hong Son in the morning when we got up it was in the high 30degree F almost 0c but if felt much colder. I am from New Mexico were it gets well below 0c in winter time. It would warm up by noon and was very comfortable, by the time I left it was getting hot.

Loei owns the title as the coldest province in Thailand. But while Loei does get very cold in the cold months, it can get very hot in the hot season depending where you are. Nothing to do with temperature, but in my search for a cold climate I gave up on the north because the forests are systematically burnt down and the air quality is an appalling stinking haze for a couple months out of every year. That is the bad news. The good news is I did discover there are micro climates in Thailand here and there. Some are good, much better than the temperature being monitored in a bigger place an hour away. These are hard to find, but worth the effort. I found the best weather situation to be in the mountains of Phetchabun. But there are bound to be other places as good or better elsewhere.

Have some shirt-tail relatives in those same mountainous areas of Phetchabun....spent a winter there. Absolutely bone chilling mornings for a couple months!!!:(

I don't know which has the absolute coolest average temperature but if you are looking for a place to live the answer is probably Chiang Mai which is much cooler than Bangkok and a great city.

I agree with you on the temperature, but has too much smoke in the air during burning off season.

• 2 weeks later...

this link shows the most detailed daily observations i've seen

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/cdms/Daily/DailyObserved7AM-en.pdf

it includes a lot of locations, not just the major cities, and includes rain fall and rain year to date

i have not been able to find an archive for past reports for the whole year so far. i just sent an email to the webmaster to see if that is accessible but i doubt i'll get a reply. if such a thing was available, you could really find the cooler places for any day of the year.

also, another good tool is here

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48565

this is phuket but you can get to many cities from here