Forced To Use Tourist Visa At Bkk Airport

I had a double entry Tourist Visa issued by the LA consulate. I've gone thru immigration before at BKK airport with a valid visa and was able to keep it for a later entry...but when I went thru on January 6th, I was forced to use an entry..which is too bad because I'm only staying 14 days and a VOA would have been OK.

Has this been other's experiences? The Visa was free.. so no biggie..but I would have preferred to keep it.

Same for me last May, arrived with a single entry tourist only passing through on a seven day stopover en route to Viet Nam. Wanted an exempt stamp for 30 days but was told I have to use my visa. Tried arguing but even the officer's supervisor agreed that I had to use the visa "No promplem, visa free, you can get another". Cost was not an issue, loss of another page in the passport is.

Mai bpen rai.

Same for me last May, arrived with a single entry tourist only passing through on a seven day stopover en route to Viet Nam. Wanted an exempt stamp for 30 days but was told I have to use my visa. Tried arguing but even the officer's supervisor agreed that I had to use the visa "No promplem, visa free, you can get another". Cost was not an issue, loss of another page in the passport is.

Mai bpen rai.

I have had my visa held over for another entry no problem. Last time it was a new recruit who stamped my passport and he used the visa which I had asked him not to do. When I complained his supervisor amended the stamp for me. That was about 10 months ago though, so maybe policy has since changed or maybe it depends on who is on duty.

Immigration rules do say that you cannot reserve a visa for later use.

Correct, although there are several reports that if the immigration officer is in a good mood he will allow you in on the visa free 30 day stamp.

You will need a confirmed ticket out of the country within those 30 days though, if not then he can only allow you in on your visa.

Again, no guarantees!

Immigration rules do say that you cannot reserve a visa for later use.

Correct, although there are several reports that if the immigration officer is in a good mood he will allow you in on the visa free 30 day stamp.

You will need a confirmed ticket out of the country within those 30 days though, if not then he can only allow you in on your visa.

Again, no guarantees!

on the other side of the coin - If you have a Visa (say Non-O Multi) and forgot to put your visa number on your TM-card (arrival/departure card) - they will give you 30 days stamp even if they see you have a visa :D this happened to our son and my friend :)

We had to go back to the immigration office in Bangkok (all the way from Pattaya) to get the right stamp. This apparently is a common occurence as they have a special window with a sign "Wrong Stamp" :D

The funny thing was that after they corrected the stamp at the Wrong Stamp window - we noticed as we were walking away that the new stamp had the date of the previous year. Luckily we had noticed this within 3 steps of the window and turned around and got it corrected again properly this time... :D

Edited by whatchamacallit

They do often make this mistake, but if you don't put the visa number in on the TM card they will probably find the visa and mark the number on the TM card and then stamp you in for 60 days.

If you take Murphy's Law into consideration it'll probably work out that they'll find your visa if you don't want them to and won't find it if you want them to.

Your visa is pretty difficult to hide considering it's usually on the very last page of your passport.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine just flew into the country from Vietnam. He had double entry tourist visa for thailand from the US. He had previously used one of the entries before he went to Vietnam.

On flying in he wanted to get the “30 day visa exempt stamp” (which is the correct terminology, as opposed to calling it a VOA :) which it is NOT).

He spoke to a supervisor in Passport Control at Suvarnabhumi. They told him he could get the visa exempt stamp BUT they would cancel the second entry of the tourist visa if he went that route.

He also didn’t write his visa number on his arrival card either, but they caught it quite easily by thumbing thru his passport.

Same with me, I did that several times, to save my Visa for later, last time in October 2009.

I always went to one of the officers who keep the Tourist stream in line and until now my question was not denied.

I was last time even faster as I had not to quue, the lady asked a higer officer and went with me to an empty box to clear my entry in the way as I asked for.

I had also once to sign a paper in which it was stated that it was my will to not use the Visa at that entry date.

Have reserved a Tourist Visa for later use at BKK Airport last year, no problem, maybe now a new rule.

My gf and I both (easily) managed to have a tourist visa entry saved at the beginning of last year. Perhaps they've clamped down on this or could it have something to do with tourist visas being free at the moment.