From Airport To Phuket By Bus

kharmabum

is there a bus to phuket from the suvarnabhumi airport bus terminal?

if not, what's the best way to get to the bus terminal in bangkok that has buses to phuket? is there an airport bus that stops there? or is taxi the only option? if taxi is the only option how much should that cost? will the cost of the taxi and bus combined be almost as much as a plane ticket?

thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Edited by kharmabum

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but you could also consider taking the train (I think you have to connect to a bus once you get to Surat Thani, though). The buses aren't always the most comfortable or safe. Yes, the train definitely has its issues, but I would much rather spend a long time on a train, especially if it's an overnight sleeper. Those are quite comfortable for the price.

As for the price of bus/train vs. plane, I think it really depends on the time of year and the deal you get on your flight. If you're going during a busy time and can't get a good deal on your flight, the bus/train is probably cheaper. My late December flight to Phuket was about 3000 baht. Other times of the year, the prices might be equal. It's possible that the flight might even be cheaper! Last June (low season) I flew roundtrip from BKK to Phuket for 700 baht, including all taxes. The bus/train would have cost more than that (at least for a comfortable trip).

You are looking at a major hassle trying to go from Swampy to Phuket by bus. AirAsia is a far better option, book them on internet. AirAsia flight costs vary, depending on the time of day and how far in advance the picket is purchased. I have done that route for as low as just under 1000 baht. But it can go over 2000 baht. With AirAsia be careful of the baggage costs, seat reservation costs, optional insurance; these are rigged so that you automatically get them and pay for them. Not overly expensive but it adds up. Also, be aware that most AirAsia checkin agents will give you no slack on the baggage weight, you will pay for anything over the 15 kg allowance that you buy together with the ticket (no free baggage). Much like RyanAir, no freebees but they get you to destination in reasonable order. But with all that it is far better than humping your bags all over, paying about 250-300 baht for taxi to the bus station, 800-900 baht for the VIP bus (very uncomfortable on the lower-cost 10+ hour trip).

When you arrive at HKT airport beware of the taxi touts; the Phuket tuk-tuks mafia are major ripoff bandits and very nasty critters. There is a real bus to town, ask at the information booth inside the terminal just after exiting from baggage.