80% Tax On Importing Cars?

gravion

Hello. Could someone please clarify that 80% of the value of the vehicle will be added on as TAX? HUH? some said it will be more of 200% as stated on this chart. is it real 200% tax? Isnt this a theft????

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/shippingcars.htm

Duty 80%, Excise Tax 35%, Interior tax 10%, VAT 7%, Total: 213%

as stated on the second link. BUt the % doesnt add up...., how can they tax u again and again and again...? this is theft or they just dont want imports?

Edited by gravion

It's theft, but considered legitimate when it's done by a goverment.

Other parallels, gambling is illegal, but a national lottery is fine.

Prositution is illegal, but fine as long as the police are paid. 

It's theft, but nothing we can do about it, simply don't try to import a car, there is no way round that, as far as I know.

Not compared to USA prices.

Price a Camry or Accord here & then check on eBay.

Of course America does not impose anti car taxes like maybe England for example or Thailand.

They want to force you onto public transport.

Of course there is a huge difference between a local made car versus an imported car. Make that distinction.

Edited by powderpuff

There are legal ways around it for the enlightened..But that advice is neither free nor inclusive it requires a specialty in which the cars can be included as the tools necessary to provide an income. It centers around a specialty I have tried in vane to get the uneducated to understand..

Another one of many advantages to partnering with the right person in the right business..

Edited by WarpSpeed

but when i checked the price of brand new honda city sold in japan is equilavent to around 500,000Baht.

which is around same as sold in thailand. i heard somewhere that the car is built in thailand, but engine is imported from japan?

Well that's one example with another Asian country and one that most things prices are inflated being Japan. The Honda City is a bottom end model and assembled in Thailand primarily for this market and outlying markets because labor is cheap so cost and taxes can be kept down, compare equivalent vehicles in markets such as the US for example, take a look at a Mini... Three or four times the price here versus there..Especially in the aftermarket..

Edited by WarpSpeed

but when i checked the price of brand new honda city sold in japan is equilavent to around 500,000Baht.

which is around same as sold in thailand. i heard somewhere that the car is built in thailand, but engine is imported from japan?

Cheapest Yaris here is about 500,000B

Cheapest Yaris in the USA is about $11,000 = 375,000B, with more or less the same level of equipment

then again, cheapest Yaris in Malaysia is close to a million Baht :)

Yes, the "affordable" cars in this country are assembled here or in the SE Asia region (i.e. some Toyotas assembled here, some in Indonesia), as they do not have such insane import taxes. I'm not 100% sure where the engines are build but I would think in Japan, yes.

Not compared to USA prices.

Price a Camry or Accord here & then check on eBay.

Of course America does not impose anti car taxes like maybe England for example or Thailand.

They want to force you onto public transport.

Of course there is a huge difference between a local made car versus an imported car. Make that distinction.

America has import restrictions on cars too, why do you think Toyota, Honda, Benz and others bother to manufactor them in the states? Sure not because of the inexpensive and high quality us employees :)