Thai Airways Doesn't Like Kids

dindong

I tried to book a flight Chiang Rai to Bangkok for a 2 yr old and myself. Looks like Thai want my kids money to bail them

Travellers

Flights

Taxes 1 adult(s) x (1,505.00+855.00) = 2,360.00 THB 1 child(ren) x (1,505.00+855.00) = 2,360.00 THB total for all travellers 4,720.00 THB

I haven't opened your attachment but have you purchased a separate seat for your child?

There was no choice, over 2 yrs old is full paying passenger.

Hmm, that's sad, but it is a sign of our times where airlines are trying every new angle to improve revenue, airlines around the world are now starting to charge based on customer weight and size (Air France) and bizarrely one Irish carrier is considering charging for in-flight use of their toilets!

What's your point? If the child is occupying a seat, then the seat needs to be paid for. If you were hoping for a child in the lap deal, then you join the ranks of the parents that put saving money ahead of the child's safety. I would counter that a child securely strapped in a seat is safer and that it is TG that likes the kid and not you.

Looks like Thai are more miserly on their bassinets (cots) too. Based on a bit of internet search in advance of taking our toddler to the UK, Thai only offer it for kids under 6 months, whereas BA and EVA make them available for kids up to 2 years old.

We used to travel London - Bangkok a lot with our kids and generally the child fare was calculated as follows:

Infant: under 2 years of age = nominal fare. Used to be around GBP70 but infant had to go in bassinet or accompanying adults lap i.e. no allocated seat for infant.

Child: between age of 2 - 12 (upper limit on some airlines was 13 i think) = 2/3rds of the adult fare and allocated own seat.

anything above the upper age limit for child = full fare.

Don't know quite how much this has changed over recent years but thought it still applied to most non-budget airlines.

Can anyone clarify based on recent experiences of longhaul flights with kids?

Isn't it like this on all the airlines since 2006?

my thai wife and I live in sydney ,We have talked about this a few times ,that Thai air is to expensive and none of the thai people here ever fly with them .

we went to Bkk from Sydney return on emarites last year and each fare was at least $250 cheaper for adults and it was 90 bucks for the baby ,under 2 years old .

this year we are going over on jetstar in march and the kid pays $30 one way. On Thai air the price for kids is very high even without a seat .

Thai air will go broke if they dont change some of there policys .like I said no Thai people,that we know here ever use em.

So yer I would say Thai air dont like kids.and with more players coming into the market ,tiger ,jetstar,virgin,air asia, they better pull there finger out real fast or its Ta Ta Thai air .

my thai wife and I live in sydney ,We have talked about this a few times ,that Thai air is to expensive and none of the thai people here ever fly with them .

we went to Bkk from Sydney return on emarites last year and each fare was at least $250 cheaper for adults and it was 90 bucks for the baby ,under 2 years old .

this year we are going over on jetstar in march and the kid pays $30 one way. On Thai air the price for kids is very high even without a seat .

Thai air will go broke if they dont change some of there policys .like I said no Thai people,that we know here ever use em.

So yer I would say Thai air dont like kids.and with more players coming into the market ,tiger ,jetstar,virgin,air asia, they better pull there finger out real fast or its Ta Ta Thai air .

It's easy man....less customers....put the price up..don't you get it??

It's the Thai way...

It's the Thai way...

It's the Thai way...

It isnt: Traveling budget airlines and cheap fleights domistic give in general no discounts to children.

Same happening in your own country, so nothing to do with the Thai way.

Anyone done LHR to BKK on EVA with a baby (mine will be 6 months when traveling). Experiences please? I don't like Thai (charming service but obsolete kit) and BA is usually expensive.

Baby experience on any of those 3 would be welcome.

Looks like Thai are more miserly on their bassinets (cots) too. Based on a bit of internet search in advance of taking our toddler to the UK, Thai only offer it for kids under 6 months, whereas BA and EVA make them available for kids up to 2 years old.

When I took my daughter back to England she was one year old. We put her in the cot and her legs hung over the side but she liked sitting in it so we left her. On the return flight the stewardess looked at her height and moved other passengers so she could lie down on 2 seats, this was with Etihad. So I think you will find that even if they offer you the cot your child will be too big.

Never understood the dual pricing system for children and adults anyway. Don't take this as a value statement/ judgement, but think about it: during peak season you'd be able to fill up the plane (mostly) anyway - so why discount tickets for children, if you'd be able to fill the same flight with adults paying full price? You are losing out on potential earnings. The kids enjoy the full service an adult would for a discounted price. So why would you do that as a business, unless you wanted to be viewed family friendly which is purely for PR gains, but no monetary ones.

I'd understand if airlines would offer discounts to children or families during off-season periods, as they often struggle to even fill just half of the plane. But why during peaks?

Thats not true, all airlines offer them for kids 6 months and less due to wieght, and hieght. Once a kid is a certian size (usually around 6months), the Basenet becomes dangerous. I have traveled to US, Korea, Japan, and Thailand with my son since he was 4 months old. The rules where the same for every flight/every carrier.

Anyone done LHR to BKK on EVA with a baby (mine will be 6 months when traveling). Experiences please? I don't like Thai (charming service but obsolete kit) and BA is usually expensive.

Baby experience on any of those 3 would be welcome.

My daughter and two grand daughters (6 months and 21 months) came over by EVA last summer. I don't recall how much they paid for the nippers but the bigger one got a seat as flight wasn't full and check-in staff earmarked the seat next to daughter so it wouldn't get allocated, very nice of them.

Sophie said service was excellent, bottle heating etc. no problem, cabin crew spent half their time playing with the baby :)

What's your point? If the child is occupying a seat, then the seat needs to be paid for. If you were hoping for a child in the lap deal, then you join the ranks of the parents that put saving money ahead of the child's safety. I would counter that a child securely strapped in a seat is safer and that it is TG that likes the kid and not you.

But a child gets a kids meal and doesn't get any of the 'free' alcoholic beverages available, which is why a kids fare is usually 80% of an adults and under 2s are only 10% of an adults.

Never understood the dual pricing system for children and adults anyway. Don't take this as a value statement/ judgement, but think about it: during peak season you'd be able to fill up the plane (mostly) anyway - so why discount tickets for children, if you'd be able to fill the same flight with adults paying full price? You are losing out on potential earnings. The kids enjoy the full service an adult would for a discounted price. So why would you do that as a business, unless you wanted to be viewed family friendly which is purely for PR gains, but no monetary ones.

I'd understand if airlines would offer discounts to children or families during off-season periods, as they often struggle to even fill just half of the plane. But why during peaks?

No they don't.

You don't have kids do you!

Edited by PattayaParent

No, i dont know about domistic fleights but many airlines have discounts for children intercontinantal fleights.

Dont think that budget airlines have that.

My 2 yr old has to buy a seat at full price on Thai air but he wont sit in his seat for 2 minutes, he will be in my lap for the 1 hour flight

I don't think that Thai airlines are a budget airline.

also I wonder why a 2 year old should have to pay 899 baht tax on a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Rai, surely a 2 yr.old is exemp from tax or are the airlines just pocketing this money.?????????

Edited by dindong