Elephant Master Fights For Compensation As His Elephant Dies Next To Electric Pylon

Rimmer

On Sunday Evening, Police were made aware of an incident involving a 50 year old elephant who had died after reportedly coming into contact with electricity close to a pylon located a small distance from an elephant park in the Na-Jomtien area. The Elephants master, Khun Ooay aged 61 had apparently felt the current as he rode the elephant and was thrown off the elephant who began to convulse and then fell to the ground. It was thought that a small cone-shaped object which is supposed to protect the pylon from a lightning strike was stepped-on by the elephant. At the time it was raining and a problem with the pylon is thought to have caused current to be passed through the object. On Monday Morning, the Elephant Master, who blamed the electric authority for the accident, made a Police report at Na-Jomtien Police Station, regarding the incident and would like the authority to compensate him for the loss of his elephant, in the amount of 700,000 Baht, which would cover the cost of a loan Khun Ooay took out to purchase the elephant. As yet, the authority has not issued a statement about the incident and if the two parties cannot agree on a settlement, the case will go to court.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-01-25

post-22250-1264419977_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1264419990_thumb.jpg

On Sunday Evening, Police were made aware of an incident involving a 50 year old elephant <<snip>>

The Elephants master, Khun Ooay aged 61 <<snip>>

On Monday Morning, the Elephant Master, who blamed the electric authority for the accident, made a Police report at Na-Jomtien Police Station, regarding the incident and would like the authority to compensate him for the loss of his elephant, in the amount of 700,000 Baht, which would cover the cost of a loan Khun Ooay took out to purchase the elephant.<<snip>>

Edited for brevity.

Kun Ooay(61) still owed 700K for a 50 year old elephant????

There is some creative accounting here.

I feel so sorry for those elephants and their owners when I see them trying to cross Sukhumvit road at dusk.

May be bicycle lights should be obligatory???

Red light on the tail, White light on the trunk, could even fit amber lights to each ear with tilt switches so that when the elephant raise its ear to the near vertical it will flash... :)

I feel so sorry for those elephants and their owners when I see them trying to cross Sukhumvit road at dusk.

Red light on the tail, White light on the trunk, could even fit amber lights to each ear with tilt switches so that when the elephant raise its ear to the near vertical it will flash... :)

Whilst that might help crossing roads, in this tragic accident he would have been lit up like a christmas tree, with all that extra current.

I hope the electricity company are made to pay for truncating this poor elephant's life.

the elephants that walk the streets of Bangkok sometimes have lights that you mention above

lucky it wasnt a human that stood on it, but I think it will be lucky if they even fix it, let alone make a pay out

is there a photo of the cone shaped object? it would be good to see what to avoid. I dont touch any metal poles that have electricity connected to them

Edited by rafval

UPDATE

Electrical Authority Acts Over Pattaya Elephant Death Case

Pattaya, the 2nd of February 2010 [PDN]: The Provincial Electricity Authority moved to shut off power to the post responsible for the recent death of Saeng-jun, only after the nearby elephant camp had to engage a private company to conduct an investigation at the scene.

Nern Na Jomtien Elephant Camp Manager, Mr. Ekkachai Kanjanapatrakul, had contacted the Provincial Electricity Authority following the conclusive findings by a private high voltage maintenance company that stated; the cause for Saeng-jun’s death was a result of electrocution from an underground stake that was live, approximately 3 meters from the power pole.

Full story and pictures here:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/02...ant-death-case/

www.pattayadailynews.com

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-02-04

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

PEA Offer Measly Out-of-Court Settlement Over Elephant Death

Following the electrocution of the elephant Saeng-jun, on 23rd of January 2010, the Provincial Electricity Authority has offered the owner a unbelievably low out-of-court settlement that is less than a quarter of the mammals actual value.

The electrical post was examined by the Electricity Authority, but they failed to find a fault. However, on a second inspection by a private company engaged by the Nern Na Jomtien Elephant Camp, it was found a couple of posts were live with readings of up to 200 volts.

www.pattayadailynews.com

Full story

HERE