Sterling Account For Us Citizen

I have an American friend who is looking to open a Sterling account.

He is based in Bangkok and I have suggested HSBC - I am sure there are other recommendations.

Does anyone have personal experience of opening offshore accounts - what are the hurdles to overcome, how helpful are the banks ?

Edited by Chaimai

Citibank, Standard Chartered....any of these will do..I personally wouldnt open an offshore account in Thailand and would look at Singapore or HK....Also with US citizens have found some banks are reluctant to open an offshore account, not that they will not, but US citizens there is more paperwork to fill out as regards your IRS etc etc.....This is certainly the case with Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, as the first question they asked me...Are you a US citizen...which in my case I am not...

Citibank, Standard Chartered....any of these will do..I personally wouldnt open an offshore account in Thailand and would look at Singapore or HK....Also with US citizens have found some banks are reluctant to open an offshore account, not that they will not, but US citizens there is more paperwork to fill out as regards your IRS etc etc.....This is certainly the case with Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, as the first question they asked me...Are you a US citizen...which in my case I am not...

Thanks.

I would welcome a comment from anyone who has successfully opened an offshore account (here, Hong Kong or Singapore).

A brief step through of the procedure to follow for making an application would be appreciated - either online, post or in person.

My friend's problem is that he closed down all USA accounts when he came to live here 5 years ago. Trying to do something 'international' when you only have a Thai address and Thai bank seems to be a bit of a barrier.

Try Bank of Ayudhya.

can't remember any onerous paperwork.

Saved me a fortune on currency exchange just to get access to Sterling here rather than have a series of banking transactions that rip you off on exchange rates and charges.

Moreover, Bank of Ayudhya provides good exchange rates.

Good luck.