New Monk Ceremony ~ Words Used

sk1max

Tried to find it on the net for you, but no dice...was going to say the bookstore across from Wat Bowan (near Khao San Road) but I see your in CM...I would google for farang friendly wats in your area (of which there are several) and pay them a visit...

The ordination ceremony is actually in the Pali language, not Thai.

I have the script for the ordination ceremony for Samenera (novice) and Bhikkhu (monk) in romanised Pali with English Translation. It is in word format and is about 18 pages long. If you email me I can send you a copy.

The version I have is that used by Mahanikaya temples.

Bankei

I have the script for the ordination ceremony for Samenera (novice) and Bhikkhu (monk) in romanised Pali with English Translation. It is in word format and is about 18 pages long. If you email me I can send you a copy.

Bankei

there are two versions and yes they are in Pali. 1. Esaham 2. Ukasa and which version used is normally up to the abbot of the temple where you would be ordaining. I practiced the Ukasa version for about three weeks (because I was told that this version would be the one I would use) until I had it down pretty good, and then found out the abbot wanted me to do the Esaham version.. oh well, took me another three weeks to get that one down. and this was a Dhammayud temple. I ordained again at a Mahanikaya temple and used the Esaham version. Actually, they are about 10 pages long. I was fortunate enough to have been given a romanized Pali chant book with Enlish translations from a Thai temple in Phoenix, Arizona. I've had it for about 6 years now and it sure comes in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Bankei

Bankei,

I would greatly appreciate your copy of the script for the ordination ceremony. I am ordaining in April and really want to get the script comfortably memorized.

As soon as you can send it the better. I truly appreciate it.

One question, which version of the script is it? Esaham or Ukasa?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by camerata
Email address deleted as per forum rules. Please use PM instead.

Bankei

Bankei,

I would greatly appreciate your copy of the script for the ordination ceremony. I am ordaining in April and really want to get the script comfortably memorized.

Thanks,

Mike

Its the Mahanikaya version. Ukassa vandami bhante..........

The Dhammayut version is available from the bookshop opposite Wat bowon in Bangkok for about 30B.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the infomation bankei

I have a predicament and I am hoping maybe someone could assist me with it...

Currently I am in India and I have been looking for a translitarated version of this Dhammayut text found next to Wat Bowan near Khao San Road. If anyone has this version in a Word Document or even PDF version which can been read on a computer, I would truly appreciate a copy of it emailed to me. I have a lot of time before my ordination in April but unfortunately I will be in India traveling around the Buddha's circuit of sacred sites and I have yet to find these texts anywhere yet. Please let me know if anyone can help me in ANY way.

Thank you very much,

Mike

Bankei

Bankei,

Thanks,

Mike

Its the Mahanikaya version. Ukassa vandami bhante..........

The Dhammayut version is available from the bookshop opposite Wat bowon in Bangkok for about 30B.

Thank you for the infomation bankei

I have a predicament and I am hoping maybe someone could assist me with it...

Currently I am in India and I have been looking for a translitarated version of this Dhammayut text found next to Wat Bowan near Khao San Road. If anyone has this version in a Word Document or even PDF version which can been read on a computer, I would truly appreciate a copy of it emailed to me. I have a lot of time before my ordination in April but unfortunately I will be in India traveling around the Buddha's circuit of sacred sites and I have yet to find these texts anywhere yet. Please let me know if anyone can help me in ANY way.

I was in the same situation a few years ago, I couldn't find anyone who could supply me with a soft copy of the chanting even though i contacted monks and ex monks on the other side of the world, I had to make do with a scrappy piece of paper. You might want to ask on http://www.dhammawheel.com/

Bankei

Bankei,

Thanks,

Mike

If you are ordaining as Tammayut lineage it will be Esahang (god knows why they use an M it is pronounced NG)

If you are ordaining into Mahanikay lineage it will be Ukasa

You should really work on memorizing this because it is not easy even with the koo suad to help you.

Only problem is the english phonetics for Pali use a spelling which is opposite to Thai pronunciation

eg

Bhante is pronounced Pandte (pan - dtey) in Thai (the soft B becomes a sharp P)

the M used in Esaham, Aham, etc is not an M is its an NG as far as pronunciation in Thai goes - so Esaham would be pronounced Esahang

Just to confuse you more - all Ds are pronounced as a sharp T and all Ts are pronounced as a D or Dh as far as Thai pronunciation goes

• 1 year later...

If you are ordaining as Tammayut lineage it will be Esahang (god knows why they use an M it is pronounced NG)

In the original Pali this word ends with an -m sound. The Thais (mis)pronounce the Pali in this instance as 'ng.'